Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need some advice. I am looking for winter tyres for my 10 plate X trail Teckna. I am wondering wether to put different wheels, as in smaller, was looking for some suggestions. Both for wheels and tyres!. Also anyone got any wheels for sale?, Grant

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the reason for the winter tyres is that we live up near Aberlour,(Speyside) and had over 130" of snow last year!. one of our cars was stuck in the garage for about a month. Also would you know if wheels from a t30 x-trail would fit my car?. cheers Grant

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, I'm running Vredestein Quadrac 4 Extreme 235/55R17 on a T31. They are rated M&S and are a full winter tyre with special rubber compound. Checked with Vredestein who said they are good for all year use. Have to say they are good in the snow, had them on all summer as well both here and in Europe. Very impressed, much better all round than the factory fit Dunlops which frankly are rubbish. I paid under £500 fitted for all four. The Vredestein website recommended pressures are not what you would expect at 35psi front and 38psi rear, these pressures do work well, curing the dreaded understeer. Although 235's the speedo readings are not effected according to my TomTom.

Hope this helps. Regards: Kelba 1946

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
calum said:
Apparently wintrac 4 extremes are on back order until January !! Does anyone have any other suggestions?
The Vredestein All-Season tyres came out very well in the latest Auto Express test on Winter Tyres - 27th October issue.

Looking at Kelba1946's post above, I will definitely get Vredestein at my next change - didn't do it last time as I was worried about the slightly different size.

Kelba - how is the ride with the Quadrac 4 Extremes? harder? softer? noisier? etc...

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Success !! I have ordered some Wintrac 4 extremes which should arrive in december. Could not get 215/60's so went for 225/65/R17. I know this is a bit bigger than stock but the tyres I have on now are Hankook Dynapro AS 225/65 and there hasn't been an issue with the speedo, turning circle or anything else. They just don't perform well in the snow. So here's hoping it snows lots in January and that I can leave Discos standing!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
jaykay said:
Would I be able to have the Vredestein 235/55s fitted to the original 17" wheels that currently have the horrid 215/60 Dunlops on?
I actually went, in the end, for the Nokian WR G2 SUV tyre from "MyTyres.co.uk" - sold as an all-season in the USA and highly recommend by someone on this forum.

And available in the standard X-Trail 215/60/R17 size. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
77gazza said:
Where did you get the pressure info from John?
I got the information from the Nokian Winter Tyres 2011 brochure:-

What are the recommended inflation pressures?

Nokian Tyres has test driven the recommended inflation pressures for winter tyres (M+S) for the most common car makes. The recommended pressures may exceed the car manufacturer recommendations, as the winter tyre has a different structure. If there is no recommended inflation pressure for winter tyres, we recommend winter tyres to be inflated 0.2 bar (20 kpa) higher than the summer recommendation. The pressure levels must be inspected by using a calibrated gauge with cold tyres every three (3) weeks.
I calculated that 0.2 bar is about 3 p.s.i so the X-Trail fronts are 36psi instead of the recommended 33psi when cold.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I put on some Pirelli Scorpion STR's this April as an upgrade from the Dunlop, standard size.
Managed to get a v.good price too as it was "out of season", £90 each delivered, + £10 each for local fitting.
I've not struggled in the snow these last two years with the Dunlops, but just wanted something with a bit more off-road grip.
The tyre has a larger section of AT tread on it than the Dunlops, seem quieter too. They may wear a bit quicker, time will tell.
V.pleased so far especially at the price! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
whigsvolt said:
I have the Nokian Wrg2,s on the X trail and they are quite simply the mutts Nuts.
I would reccommend these tyres any time.
Bought from Mytyres.
Yes - great aren't they? :thumbs:

Just remember to increase the pressure by 0.2bar (3psi) above what Nissan recommend (as per Nokian instructions).

·
Registered
646 Posts
For any seeking some decent AT mixed offroad/tarmac tyres, in the (fairly) difficult to find 215 60 17 (96H) size, my spies tell me that Yokohama receive a shipment in around 4 weeks time...the G012 A/T-S is the rarer chunkier brother of the more mainstream/highway H/T-S G051...and is ideally suited to greenlaning fun, etc - whilst still retaining decent tarmac manners... :thumbs:

Some keen pricing here, too: http://lovetyres.com/tyre/Yokohama-Geolandar-AT-S-G012 :idea:

Aitch

·
Registered
254 Posts
Aitch said:
For any seeking some decent AT mixed offroad/tarmac tyres, in the (fairly) difficult to find 215 60 17 (96H) size, my spies tell me that Yokohama receive a shipment in around 4 weeks time...the G012 A/T-S is the rarer chunkier brother of the more mainstream/highway H/T-S G051...and is ideally suited to greenlaning fun, etc - whilst still retaining decent tarmac manners... :thumbs:

Some keen pricing here, too: http://lovetyres.com/tyre/Yokohama-Geolandar-AT-S-G012 :idea:

Aitch[/quote

Good spot Aitch. Should be of help to all those who do a high mileage who have worn out their original 225/55/18 and say they can't get replacements as I see they have some with this spec.

:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.