Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a newbie on these forums - in fact I don't even own an X-Trail (yet) as I'm still deciding whether to buy one. I've test-driven one and done lots of research and it seems like a pretty good option - except one thing... one seemingly VERY big thing: The turbo / intercooler problems!

From what I've read, it seems that everyone who ever bought an X-Trail has had major problems - and sometimes expense - because of these parts failing and needing replacement.

Have any members NOT had this problem? With these issues, would anyone still recommend buying an X-Trail? Would you buy another one?

If I do buy an X-Trail it would be an 06-07 plate, do these still have the problem or has Nissan fixed it on the newer models?

Thanks
Ian

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had no problems with mine so far. Think its going to need a new bearing on the front drivers side soon, and the rear arches are starting to rust, which is admittedly not great on a four year old car. The rust could be down to a dodgy accident repair on mine though. One of my colleagues has a 53 plate thats covered 77K and he has had no major problems with either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your responses guys.

The salesman at my local garage assures me that the problems have been fixed in the later models - although he is a salesman!

In any case, he also told me that Nissan have recognised that there was a problem and have extended the warranty for these parts to five years.

Ian

·
Registered
86 Posts
supasox said:
Thanks for your responses guys.

The salesman at my local garage assures me that the problems have been fixed in the later models - although he is a salesman!

In any case, he also told me that Nissan have recognised that there was a problem and have extended the warranty for these parts to five years.

Ian
Hi Ian,

I'm led to believe the extended warranty for the turbo only is 5years or 93,000 miles
whichever is the sooner provided their is a "full" main dealer history with the car.
Perhaps another person cpould confirm this???

So check the car's history with a fine tooth comb :roll:

Good luck with your potential purchase..

akastiggy

·
Registered
120 Posts
akastiggy said:
Hi Ian,

I'm led to believe the extended warranty for the turbo only is 5years or 93,000 miles
whichever is the sooner provided their is a "full" main dealer history with the car.
Perhaps another person cpould confirm this???

So check the car's history with a fine tooth comb :roll:

Good luck with your potential purchase..

akastiggy
Yeah this is what I was told by local dealer at the end of last year when I had my turbo replaced out side of my normal 3 year warranty. I asked him if the new one had any sort of guarantee on it and he said it wont have the same issues as the old one, and wouldn't elaborate on that, but if it goes wrong within 12 months I will be expecting them to replace it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi there, I have a 51 plate exy.
Old girl she may be with 75000 under the belt, but not had a whisper of problems with her.
I have a strong feeling the turbo problems were, and are caused by the way it is driven.

As we all know the turbo fins reside on a slim shaft suspended in the oil your engine uses, so if the engine is cold it stands to reason the turbo shaft will be in the cold thick stuff as well.

Now then, if you insist on a grand prix start in the morning instead of allowing the oil to thin a little, I feel this is where most of the problems arise.

As can be seen from this post and the replies you have received there is no REAL problem as such with the turbo's.

We are testament to that, the turbo shaft MUST be allowed to spin on its oil in order to work properly, I and others on here will attest to that.

I read that some people are on their second or third turbo, and intercooler, why?
It cannot be the FRIDAY job syndrome, surely???

I can only speak for myself and let you know my feeling on the matter, but as I have said before and no doubt will say again, the X-TRAIL is by far the best TOW and road car we have had bar none.

I tow horsebox regularly and have not noticed her even complain about it. 60mph on the motorway, you don't even know its there.

Buy one my friend and live the dream.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It helps if you have had the vehicle from new, as you never know how the previous owner treated the car. Also make sure you let the turbo cool down a bit after stopping at your destination. I have had a look at the the turbo timers that are out there but don't much about them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As stated above its always best to the let the oil heat up before making any turbo work hard. I usually let the turbo cool down after driving before I turn the engine off too. My old VW could run up to 230bhp (switchable map)with a standard turbo and intercooler and never caused me any bother (well other than the normal 1.8T stuff, like dodgy actuators and dump valves)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your responses guys, you've convinced me to buy and X-Trail!

My wife and I have been out today and bought a 57 plate DCi SE which we're picking up in a few day's time. It still has over 18 months warranty plus the extended up-to 5yr/93K mile turbo warranty so I feel reasonably relaxed (if a little out of pocket!).

We noticed that there aren't many used X-Trails around at the moment and it seems like they're being trickled out one or two at a time by dealers to control supply and demand - and they're advertising them online ahead of time (i.e. before they receive them) to stir up some advanced interest and get customers racing each other to buy one. A credit-crunch strategy I guess!

Thanks again
Ian

·
Registered
120 Posts
Glad you decided to get one and welcome to the world of the Xtrail. Don't forget to take some pics and put them up when you get it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I did that is buy another Xtrail! But not a DCi. I have owned two 55 plate DCi's the first I sold within a month due to turbo issues, I then thought I will try another, that had a leaking intercooler within months of owning the car :headbang: both cars were low mileage and had FSH with Nissan. I always hated the fact the engine sounded like a bag of nails and when cold it sounded like it should be on a scrap heap. After a great deal of deliberation I realised that the Xtrail is a great car but in my experiences let down by the engine, so I opted for a 55 plate 2.5 Columbia, yes it is less frugal but by god it is a different car, it is smooth and most important to me quite, because of the lack of engine noise it feels a lot more refined, so finally I can say I have found an Xtrail that I can live with. :thumbs:

·
Registered
198 Posts
This is a question I have been asking myself a lot lately, I've owned a dCi for 6 years and have not had many problems with it, bar an intercooler under warranty and recently the limp home problem. Trouble is there not many vehicles out ot there with all the abilities of an X-Trail, I like the look of the Ford Kuga but watching how poor they are off road has put me off a bit. Today I was in a Nissan dealership looking over a new T31 Tekna (just out of curiosity mind!), and sort of came to the conclusion that the only replacement for an X-trail is another X-trail!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi StevieJ.
I did a lot of searching and looking around when I was looking for a 4x4. Looked at the obvious 1st choice - Freelander. The newest version seems like a goodie but I don't by new and wouldn't pay what they were asking for a used one! Wife has a Toyota RAV4 but I wanted something a bit heavier than that. Liked the Jeep but a bit tacky inside (sorry to anyone who has one - maybe it was just th one I was looking at) and looked at the Lexus - too much like a car and not great off road. Had just sold my 3 year old BMW 325 touring (having hated it) so I didn't want an X3. Took the X Trail out for a test drive (didn't really want a Nissan - why not - no idea - have never had one before?) and when I got back I bought it there and then - loved it. Good town drive, motorway cruiser and man enough for the type of off roading I would be doing (fishing trips so dirt tracks, a few fields, etc) and now I'm hooked on the thing. Would I but another one - definately but would only ever have another petrol - hopefully by then they'll have brought out a V6 :thumbs:

Just added - was telling Wimbo that I had to but a T30 as the T31 wouldn't fit in my garage - we bought a new freezer and it's 150mm deeper than the old one! So when I come to change my XT I'll either have to move or extend the garage - wouldn't dare suggest to my wife that we sould change the freezer - she'd throw me out! No there's a thought - I could move out and get a T31 and ................................... well, maybe not!

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
We have a car-port for two cars. The original garage is my kitchen now. Would I buy another X-Trail? Well.... see my poll. Must be truthfull: I like the looks ot the T-30 more than the T-31. It's a bit out of proportion. But that's my opinion... (No offence)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yes i would, before i bought this one,i had a look at 2/3 other ones,but the exy seemed to tick all of the boxes, its a good size, not bad mpg, and a comfortable ride

·
Registered
209 Posts
foggy said:
Well I did that is buy another Xtrail! B so I opted for a 55 plate 2.5 Columbia, yes it is less frugal but by god it is a different car, it is smooth and most important to me quite, because of the lack of engine noise it feels a lot more refined, so finally I can say I have found an Xtrail that I can live with. :thumbs:
Good for you. I've owned a 03 2.5 SVE Auto from new and had ZERO problems with it. As you will see on this forum (if you search) I've run it on LPG for almost four years again with no problems, just wear and tear items brake discs/pads couple of tyres and now a partial exhaust. No complaints as the original exhaust lasted seven years. If I had any comments I could wish for another 25 bhp...! Not even a wheel bearing though I am listening for it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had my xtrail just two weeks and already I love it!

Having the windows tinted this week, next friday I have having front and rear censors fitted, then I am looking for side steps!

Mine too is a 2007 SE

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I did see something that caught my eye the other day - a nice looking Audi 4x4 - think it was a Q7 (being an Audi man, is that right Daveyboy?) Looked really good - maybe a tad wide but very good looking, miles better than the X3 or X5 (in my opinion anyway) No idea the cost of it but one thing's for sure - it ain't gonna be cheap!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts