Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know how many of you might be interested in this, but I took my X-Trail 2.0 offroading with the guys from my Land Rover club last weekend.
You have to bear in mind that my X-T is completely standard except for General Grabber AT2 tyres, and that this was a trip for "newbies", so wasnt the most demanding of off roading. However this was around and across Salisbury Plain, which is used by the British Army as a test and exercise ground. Those of you that know Salisbury will know that it can be a car killer. Few come away without something broken - in my case rear silencer broken at front flange. It does sound nice now :D:D

As this was a Land Rover group, the X-T had to become a Land rover for the day :D.

Here are a few pics.

Here is a slideshow if you want to see more ;).http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm77/landrover110/Newbies salisbury trip/?albumview=slideshow

G

·
I am planning a trip to the river Teme in the next few weeks which involves driving off-road, I will post some pictures when I get back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you have to accept it is a SUV - not an off roader. As I have said elsewhere - the cost of kitting out an X-T to make it half decent is prohibitive. The parts (sump guard, snorkle, lift kit and tree/rock sliders) all have to be imported and, lets face it, the first scratchy rocky lane - it will be broken front plastic wings and a grands worth of respray. For a grand or so, you can get an old Land rover Discovery and beat the [email protected] out of it. It compares well with a freelander (there were two with us on Saturday) but it is still (like the freelanders), limited.

It was slippier than it looked.....

·
Registered
385 Posts
Good to see the X-Trail playing with the big boys. :? Although I've got to admit the x=trail wouldn't be able to keep up with LR when off roading. :(

G

·
i like the landrover special vehicle sticker you have on the boot lid :D

think i will have to get one to annoy the landrover owners in my street :lol:

G

·
Ahh right, I think the Reliant Robin would have beat the Freelander 2 :D
I actually had a test drive in the new Freelander before I bought my X-Trail, it was nice but a bit fiddly. That is what I like about the X-Trail, the 4 wheel drive system is simple but very effective.

G

·
The car we test drove was an automatic so it was a bit comfier than 'normal'! This car beats the Freelander hands down. It took a bit of getting used to after the Leon, but now I have there is no looking back. I just wish it wasn't as noisy from start up, the neighbours think I'm a farmer... :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts