Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya, I just wanted to call on any other 2.0 ltr petrol owners to see what sort of economy they are getting out of their x trail.

I have had my 04 se for about 6 weeks now and although I love it I can't believe how thirsty it is.

From a full tank at approx £56 I first got about 300 miles from the tank doing all local short journeys which I thought was terrible!

A mate suggested it was the quality of fuel as I was using supermarket petrol so I thought fair enough let's test the theory so next tank I filled with shell unleaded and sure enough doing similar driving I am on target to do about 330 miles I would say which is improved. Currently got just under half a tank left and sat on 200 miles so far.

The next test will be to try shell v power fuel as one of my wifes friends says they get about an extra 70 miles from a tank. Although it will cost more to fill it has got to be worth a try!

What sort of economy does anyone else get with their 2.0 ltr petrol?

I have thought about a tuning box or remap to improve economy but can't find any mentioned for the petrol engine x trail only the diesel so far.

I drive gently and don't accelerate hard, any tips or thoughts to improve economy would be appreciated?

I am going to check the air filter is clean and decent.

cheers
Simon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep, I afraid that's what I get. I've measured three tankfulls in my 2.5 so far and get 27.5mpg driving normally and 30.2 being reeeaaal gentle and annoying other road users.
Still they are large vehicles and I've heard much worse. My last tow vehicle was LPG so I'm getting quotes at the moment. Originally I'd ruled this out as I heard the X Trail was vunerable to valve wear, but it seems that this is only the 2.0ltr and the 2.5 is OK.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes cheers for the info. The original 2.0 ltr x trail I had intended to buy had an LPG conversion on it which then caused issues and the valves got damaged so for obvious reasons I didn't buy that one

I will keep looking down the tune box or remap possibility, has anyone got any advice on this please, is it possible on a 2.0 ltr x trail?

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just been Reading up on these k & n panel replacement filters you can buy for £40 and reviews suggest this improves engine efficiency as it can breath better and as a result slight gains in fuel economy. I am always a little dubious has anyone tried one and do they improve economy etc?

I am wondering wether to buy one or just keep the £40 towards fuel?

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
6 Posts
"]Hiya, I just wanted to call on any other 2.0 ltr petrol owners to see what sort of economy they are getting out of their x trail.

I have had my 04 se for about 6 weeks now and although I love it I can't believe how thirsty it is.

From a full tank at approx £56 I first got about 300 miles from the tank doing all local short journeys which I thought was terrible!

A mate suggested it was the quality of fuel as I was using supermarket petrol so I thought fair enough let's test the theory so next tank I filled with shell unleaded and sure enough doing similar driving I am on target to do about 330 miles I would say which is improved. Currently got just under half a tank left and sat on 200 miles so far.

The next test will be to try shell v power fuel as one of my wifes friends says they get about an extra 70 miles from a tank. Although it will cost more to fill it has got to be worth a try!

What sort of economy does anyone else get with their 2.0 ltr petrol?

I have thought about a tuning box or remap to improve economy but can't find any mentioned for the petrol engine x trail only the diesel so far.

I drive gently and don't accelerate hard, any tips or thoughts to improve economy would be appreciated?

I am going to check the air filter is clean and decent.

cheers
Simon[/quote]

my 2.0 petrol is thristy. never tried to work it out but it probably is mid twenties i think. strange thing is when i tow a caravan it doesnt really change much !!

:biggrin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am actually over the moon with the MPG on my 2.0 petrol , but I guess it depends what you had before - our S4 was an average on the built in computer of 17mpg LOL. 300 miles to a tank doing short local journeys is actually not all that bad at all on something of this size:
£56 / £1.17 (UK average on unleaded at the minute)
=48 litres of fuel you bought
div that by 4.54 to give you gallons = 10.54
so 28mpg roughly depending if you filled up at around the same point as before on the gauge.
That's something in between the expected urban (23 mpg) and nearer the combined figure (30 mpg) by the manufacturer which is blooming good IMO and not a figure you should be upset about. I can only assume you didn't do much in the way of checking out the figures before you bought the vehicle, or you came from something either much smaller in engine or size hence the disappointment?

Super/Optimax/V-Power/Excellium will likely get you more MPG but beware that it will cost you an average 5 or 6p a litre more - £3 a tank (x-trail tank is 60litres IIRC) and I do think an extra 25% mileage like your friend claims would be optimistic for your short hop driving.

If you wanted better MPG then diesel is the way to go, but even then you have to do some miles before the cost of the diesel fuel at an extra penny a litre and the cost of the car -anything between £500 and £1k on a 02/03 plate when I bought ours about a month ago - is balanced out (I also found the insurance was about 10% dearer on a diesel too). I worked ours out (approx 6,000 miles a year we do) to be nearly 3 years before it would balance the initial purchase costs.

On the air filter front, more air in means more fuel in too, it may help the engine "breathe" but you also may see your tank empty quicker if you like a bit of heavy right foot action ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi chris

cheers for the info yes I suppose when you work it out to just over 28mpg that isn't bad at all really. I am over the moon with it I think it is just a case of getting used to going from a diesel to a petrol. My last car was a signum 1.9 cdti so probably gave me 450 miles to a tank in fuel. But the reason I sold it was because it was never out of the garage and I got sick of throwing money at it. Touch wood the x trails seem well built and reliable so far so the savings in garage bills will pay towards the fuel.

Thanks re the air filter I may just buy another standard one to ensure it is as clean as possible. The car has only done 37k and runs nicely so as long as I keep on top of servicing I should get the best from it.

I would be interested in any other views on the k&n filters if anyone has tried one in an x trail?!
Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hiya,

Right I just needed to fill up again after running a tank of V power unleaded and when the reserve light just came on i had done 320 miles so I reckon allowing for say 20 miles if I had ran on reserve to empty I could have got 340 miles out of it. I am pretty happy with that really so it seems to be true that V Power fuel does improve efficiency. 40 miles more out of the tank for an extra £3 or £4 per tank is not bad.

I have also noticed the engine runs smoother and seems better all round on this fuel. I have just filled up again on V-power so think i am going to stick with this for a while. Thinking of also putting in a K&N panel filter to see if I can squeeze a few more mpg out of it.

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
278 Posts
saxosim said:
I think it is just a case of getting used to going from a diesel to a petrol. My last car was a signum 1.9 cdti
Well there is your problem I think. Such a small diesel would have had far better economy than your small petrol so your comparison is a little biased.

saxosim said:
I would be interested in any other views on the k&n filters if anyone has tried one in an x trail?!
Chris_R said:
On the air filter front, more air in means more fuel in too, it may help the engine "breathe" but you also may see your tank empty quicker if you like a bit of heavy right foot action
Yes it is true that more air in means more petrol in, but it also means more power. When you don't need the amount of power from your engine that a particular throttle opening gives, then you ease off the accelerator and ultimately use the same amount of petrol. What allowing the engine to breathe more easily does is to have less power being used to suck the air into the engine so better efficiency which should mean better mpg.

Ultimately it is all about the mix of power the engine develops, the fuel it uses to create that power and the weight that power has to pull around which is a tricky combination of factors to calculate and compare between engine types and sizes.

I have a K&N filter on my 2.5 petrol and I felt the increase in throttle response when it was fitted. Economy increase ? Did not concern me as much because I was after the power increase and better acceleration for better drivability.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.