Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, i'm newly registered so greetings to all.

I've got a small dilemma and i'm looking for advice from other X-Trail owners.

We've had our 54 reg 2.2 Dci since Sept 05 (when it was 9 months old and had 3,000 miles on the clock).

It is now 3 months out of warranty and has 28,600 on the clock.

My dilemma is should we keep it or trade it in for something newer? I keep reading all these turbo horror stories (i've read about people having had 3 turbos fitted within 30,000 miles) so is ours now on borrowed time? Is it expensive to replace? What other problems are likely to arise?

We would love a new X-Trail but unfortunately a new one is out of our price range at the moment so if we traded it in it would be to buy a normal car.

We absolutely love it and would be sorry to see it go but we're getting a bit twitchy.

Any advice welcome

Ted

·
Registered
17 Posts
providing oil is changed regular and turbo allowed to idle and cool down when car has been worked hard things should be ok. if in doubt think about buying an extened warranty, cheaper than a turbo or a new car

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Shy_Ted

I had my 04 2.2dci until I bought a new model in March.

I had it from new, never had a turbo problem/replacement but I did change the oil regularly (6 monthly because I towed a caravan for 4000 miles per annum) and drove it like a Grandad (as my grandson would say).

I towed quite a lot on the continent at speeds up to 80mph.

The car had 49,000 miles on the clock when I handed it in and was still on original brake pads etc. The tyres were changed at 48,000 miles.

All in all a trouble free car.

Xacre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys and thanks for the answers - food for thought about extending the warranty.

I'm ready for some new front pads now and we had to replace the front tyres at about 22,000 - guess i've got a heavier right foot :oops: .

I've only done some light towing a couple of times (a amall trailer) but i've only been getting the oil changed at the 12 monthly service so that's definitely something i need to correct.

In nearly 3 years, the only problems i have had are a small oil leak, a knocking from the rear anti-roll bar (near side) and the CD packed in. All repaired under warranty.

Ted

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi again Ted

The results of a poll on another forum suggest that only about 2% (one person) of those polled have had turbo problems since the recall.

Xacre

·
Registered
93 Posts
Welcome tothe forum! :D

I'll be buying the extended warranty, having had one turbo failure and also hearing some scare stories about the diesel pumps going south.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kepp it unless you can get another X-Trail. I bought a Jaguar X-Type AWD thinking I could do without the X-Trail but I just sold the Jag and bought ... another X-Trail. I tried to find any other car that gave me everything I wanted and the X-Trail still was the only vehicle to suit.

·
Registered
198 Posts
shy_ted said:
Hi Guys and thanks for the answers - food for thought about extending the warranty.

I'm ready for some new front pads now and we had to replace the front tyres at about 22,000 - guess i've got a heavier right foot :oops: .

I've only done some light towing a couple of times (a amall trailer) but i've only been getting the oil changed at the 12 monthly service so that's definitely something i need to correct.

In nearly 3 years, the only problems i have had are a small oil leak, a knocking from the rear anti-roll bar (near side) and the CD packed in. All repaired under warranty.

Ted
I also have an 04 2.2dCi from new, never had any turbo problems (touch wood) but did have the intercooler replaced as it was leaking oil, always stuck to the regular oil change intervals but have never exeded 8k between services.
I did take out the extended warranty also as a precaution just in case the turbo went and to change the CD player when it goes next (I'm on my 3rd!).

·
Registered
198 Posts
JohnG said:
StevieJ
Did you ever get the squeaky seat sorted :roll:
Hi John,
No, the drivers seat still creaks on cornering / breaking, I have got so used to it now I tend not to notice anymore.
One guy at the local Nissan garage offered to take the seat apart to find it once, but I'm yet to take up the offer!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
StevieJ said:
JohnG said:
StevieJ
Hi John,
No, the drivers seat still creaks on cornering / breaking, I have got so used to it now I tend not to notice anymore.
One guy at the local Nissan garage offered to take the seat apart to find it once, but I'm yet to take up the offer!
Have a look at the Australian forum herehttp://www.runboard.com/baustralianxtrail.f20.t125883 easily solved with a bit of WD-40

·
Registered
198 Posts
Pmcdermo said:
StevieJ said:
JohnG said:
StevieJ
Hi John,
Have a look at the Australian forum herehttp://www.runboard.com/baustralianxtrail.f20.t125883 easily solved with a bit of WD-40
Pmcdermo,
What can I say, that little squirt of oil seems to have done the trick, many thanks for that piece of advice!
So glad I didn't let Nissan take my seat apart now!

John,
Yes its fixed!!
:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts