Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this site, I have a problem with the clutch on the X Trail I have just bought, it is a 2006 Columbia 2.2 Dci, with 37000 miles recorded (genuine), the clutch is very heavy to operate, hot or cold,my wife cannot drive it as it is, the clutch does not slip, judder or anything abnormal, just heavy to push down.
I bought it from a local(ish) dealer and have 3 months warrantry, so it will be looked at by them, I was just curious as to what the problem could be, any idea's please.
I am going to tow my caravan (Bessacar Cameo 495),when the clutch is fixed, any opinions af them as towcars ? :smile:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Deisel clutches usualy are quite heavyhave you had one before? My misses was always complaining about my previous car which was a PT cruiser cos she said the clutch was too heavy. She wont drive the Xtrail for the same reason. She has a petrol Ford Focus which has a feather light clutch, so its quite a difference between both.
I used to drive a B reg Leyland Daf 18 ton tanker, you have never felt a heavy clutch until you have driven one of those! My calf muscles on my left leg were huge. I drive a Iveco now which is lighter, but still heavier than the Xtrail.
Might not be anything wrong, just you are not used to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have driven several of these before buying this one, this is by far the heaviest one I've tried, I have just sold a 1997 Terrano 2.7TD with 93000 mies on the clock, that clutch was lighter than the X Trail.I work in a garage , so I get to drive hundreds of cars, a lot of them 4x4's, I don't usually notice the clutch heaviness unless it is heavy, at 37000 mls, mine seems to be excessively so, glad I have a warrantry!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well if thats the case, probably is worth looking at then.
I know when I first drove a diesel, I was shocked at the clutch. Saying that though, my series 3 petrol landrover's wasnt exactly a walk in the park!

·
Registered
37 Posts
As the car hasn't done alot of miles it clearly shows it has been standing for some time, most likely in the cold wet and maybe near the seafront?

Try some RED Line Starts (full Throttle) off the lights And dump the clutch in 4 wheel drive mode, This will put strain on the clutch and hopefully free up the plates.

Just sounds like it needs some TLC Etc, Oil Change on the gearbox etc

Hope this helps

·
Registered
37 Posts
ahh didn't read the warranty bit ;)

Yer just say to them u want to feel the clutch on one of there show cars on the forecourt and see the difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We went into mylocal Nissan dealer today to order some mats, one of the mechanics tried my clutch & said it was way too heavy, I tried another one of their used ones, much much lighter!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts