Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

Currently looking very favourable at the X-Trail. My current car is a Hyundai Coupe V6. Glorious vehicle but now, very sadly, it hasn't got the room for 2 dogs and camping equipment.

So my wife and I have been trying out different 4x4s. She's quite short so has a problem with cars in that the gear stick is too far back or the pedals are in the wrong place etc etc etc... She drives a BMW 3 Series which fits fine.

So anyway...

Jeep Patriot - wife can't reach the pedals thanks to a lump underneath the steering column.
Jeep Grand Cherokee - joint favourite, though expensive to run. Cracking engine and transmission.
Skoda Yeti/Octavia Scout - put off by over complex brochures - how many ways do you really need to fold the back seats?!
Land Rover Freelander (new model) - bit pricey at the moment.
Nissan X-Trail 2008 model 2.0 Manual - fits us both and I really like the storage and functionality. Not to mention the "ugly" looks.

I've read about the problems with the filter and the warning light, but most of the driving in it will likely be by me on long distance for football, holidays and weekends away. Possibly some short journeys to supermarket or the tip once a week, but mostly over 150miles. I also don't use supermarket fuel!

Aiming for a 2008 model, Aventura and above - we're used to heated leather seats! Budget is £15-16 depending on condition etc..

Any recommendations or advice is warmly welcome.

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi trampilot and welcome to the forum.
You've certainly done your research! Jeep Grand Cherokee - great cars but can be pricey when they go wrong (big time pricey that is)
X Trail is a great compromise as it has loads of space and storage with good equipment level on the top model - heated electric leather seats, but but no memory function.
As there is now a new model out the prices on existing models will fall slightly (eventually) so don't pay over the top unless you really have to. Issues with X Trails are on a par with any other maker - they've all got little niggles so don't be put off by them - we've all got X Trails here and there's loads of info and tech help if needed. Good luck with your searching and hope to see you back on here soon as an X Trail owner :whistle:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Vandy.

Given that one of my previous cars was an MG and of course liable for head gasket problems (which never surfaced) then I agree that all cars have their foibles.

Might give the dealer a call in a min and see if he's found one for me to test drive!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Trampilot,

My wife breeds and competes all over the country with our Labradors. We deliberated long and hard over a 4x4 that would go where she needs to go with up to five Labradors on board. The X-Trail has no equal in its class as far as my wife is concerned.

We have just upgraded to a 2009 X-Trail from a 2006 model. My wife has done over 87,000 in the older car from new. We wouldn't have gone for another if we didn't believe it was the best option. The old one is up for sale at the moment. Not the spec you are looking for, and probably older than you want, but you might consider it as your "try out an X-Trail" vehicle and go for a newer one if it meets expectations! (Sorry to be so cheeky, couldn't resist :) )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
smithdom said:
Hi Trampilot,

My wife breeds and competes all over the country with our Labradors. We deliberated long and hard over a 4x4 that would go where she needs to go with up to five Labradors on board. The X-Trail has no equal in its class as far as my wife is concerned.

We have just upgraded to a 2009 X-Trail from a 2006 model. My wife has done over 87,000 in the older car from new. We wouldn't have gone for another if we didn't believe it was the best option. The old one is up for sale at the moment. Not the spec you are looking for, and probably older than you want, but you might consider it as your "try out an X-Trail" vehicle and go for a newer one if it meets expectations! (Sorry to be so cheeky, couldn't resist :) )
Now that's slick!

We're on the look out for a 2008 model - got a test drive this weekend so hopefully it will live up to expectations.

Hello by the way!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I had a test drive on Sunday of a 08 plate 173bhp. A fantastic drive and it didn't behave like a diesel in the least. Shame is that dealer valued my partx less than I did and wouldn't even spilt the difference to £900! So he missed out on a £16k sale for £900. Hmmm. Right car. Wrong deal.

Anyway I have been thinking about a late 2.2 (2007 plate) packed with goodies as well as possibly a Mitsubishi Shogun Sport 2006 (06). Yeah I know its a bit mad but there you have it and it will be ok for all the rough stuff.

Still like the 173 X Trail best though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Stick to your guns Trampilot, there is always another car. For comparison I paid £18,300 for an 09 Arctix Adventure (special edition) 173 with 2,142 miles on the clock, with a few extras thrown in. No part exchange (which is why I've been trying to flog you our old X-Trail :oops: ).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is quite funny - the Nissan salesman keeps phoning me. What a berk. Like I'm going to roll over - feels like I'm being bullied!

In the meantime I'm testing a Hyundai Tucson at the weekend. As far as value, extras (its loaded with them), space and economy it fits the bill. Its an 09 reg so it will be one of the last ones made before the IX35 and is going for just over £13k. Hyundai have also offered more than Nissan for my part ex too. Looks promising.

Have to admit I'm concerned about Nissan's dpf issues and I'm willing to lose a little off road ability for a more reliable car and more comfort - the Tucson is the top of the range model with leather everything and heated everything else.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Trampilot said:
This is quite funny - the Nissan salesman keeps phoning me. What a berk. Like I'm going to roll over - feels like I'm being bullied!

In the meantime I'm testing a Hyundai Tucson at the weekend. As far as value, extras (its loaded with them), space and economy it fits the bill. Its an 09 reg so it will be one of the last ones made before the IX35 and is going for just over £13k. Hyundai have also offered more than Nissan for my part ex too. Looks promising.

Have to admit I'm concerned about Nissan's dpf issues and I'm willing to lose a little off road ability for a more reliable car and more comfort - the Tucson is the top of the range model with leather everything and heated everything else.
If you're happy with it then go for it. Your depreciation will be higher with the Hyundai but if you're planning on keeping it for a while then does that really matter? The other thing is: how much off roading would you be planning on doing - few people do much actual off roading - more dirt track and messy roading so it will be fine! Trade in prices are a bit of a pot luck affair - the trade in value obviously depends on what you're trading it in against so don;t be led by a better offer for your car. If you want the Nissan then take the trade in quote from Hyundai aloing to Nissan and get them to match it if it's the Nissan you really want. :thumbs:

·
Registered
485 Posts
i looked at the tucson as well quite liked it and given the thumbs up by my garage (who's opnion i trust fully) in the end the xt won out because of its superior towing capacity.
but they both great vehicles I just had the oppisite problem in that it was my hyundai dealer who didnt seem keen to make a sale

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Vandy said:
Trampilot said:

If you're happy with it then go for it. Your depreciation will be higher with the Hyundai but if you're planning on keeping it for a while then does that really matter? The other thing is: how much off roading would you be planning on doing - few people do much actual off roading - more dirt track and messy roading so it will be fine! Trade in prices are a bit of a pot luck affair - the trade in value obviously depends on what you're trading it in against so don;t be led by a better offer for your car. If you want the Nissan then take the trade in quote from Hyundai aloing to Nissan and get them to match it if it's the Nissan you really want. :thumbs:
Good advice that - most of my off road driving will be up dirt tracks - certainly not where my Dad takes his Range Rover (there isn't even a track let alone road). Thing is I know both my wife and I would miss the leather heated seats we currently have - the X-Trail I tested didn't have them. But of course did have better performance.

The attitude of the Nissan garage has put me off doing business with them - however if the better trade in was the other way round then I would be gunning for a better offer from Hyundai. My current car is a Hyundai Coupe, which I got from the same garage 3 years ago or so, and the salesman even recognised me. Very good service that!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
posbyjohn said:
i looked at the tucson as well quite liked it and given the thumbs up by my garage (who's opnion i trust fully) in the end the xt won out because of its superior towing capacity.
but they both great vehicles I just had the oppisite problem in that it was my hyundai dealer who didnt seem keen to make a sale
It is strange how some dealers will bend over backwards for you and others just don't want to play at all. If I do go the Nissan way I think I'll go to a different dealer!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
It's very easy to walk away because you don't like/get on with, etc., the dealer but remember it's the vehicle you're buying, not the salesman! A bad salesman could be a reflection on the company but it could also be that although he's a pain in the wotsit he sells loads of cars for them so the company keeps him employed. My local dealer has good salesmen but the service manager is a miserable grumpy old git (yea, worse then me!) and has a really bad attitide problem.
If the deal is right for you then ignore the salesmans attitude - he needs you more than you need him at the end of the day. My advice would be to re-look at both cars and decide which you prefer rather then which is giving you the better deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vandy said:
It's very easy to walk away because you don't like/get on with, etc., the dealer but remember it's the vehicle you're buying, not the salesman! A bad salesman could be a reflection on the company but it could also be that although he's a pain in the wotsit he sells loads of cars for them so the company keeps him employed. My local dealer has good salesmen but the service manager is a miserable grumpy old git (yea, worse then me!) and has a really bad attitide problem.
If the deal is right for you then ignore the salesmans attitude - he needs you more than you need him at the end of the day. My advice would be to re-look at both cars and decide which you prefer rather then which is giving you the better deal.
That's very true, but I've had nothing but good service from Hyundai and as a first impression Nissan haven't been great. Yes I am buying the car but then there's the servicing and so on and the Nissan garage is my local one.

Saw a Tucson and an X-Trail drive past this morning... decisions decisions!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well decision has been made...

Last Saturday I took the Tucson out for a test drive. The salesman (who recognised me from 3 years ago when he sold me my previous car) just handed me the keys and told me to go for a drive. The roads were quite busy so it was a good test in realistic driving conditions. Handles well on dual carriage ways and I felt quite natural.

It loses out a bit on power and space but the Tuscon drove a lot better. There is also the extra benefits of 3.5 years warranty, Hyundai are offering more for the Coupe, they are throwing in tax, free mats, rubber boot tray and I'm getting them to do the 2nd service as its on 20k. It's also a cheaper car anyway by £2500.

In my own mind I prefer the simpler old fashioned 4x4 sensibility of the Tucson. Its a bit more rough and ready. No brainer really.

Thanks everyone for the friendly advice and the forum is a mine of useful information.

Dan :smile:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.