Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be taking delivery of a 3 month old X-Trail in a few days time. I am concerned about the spare tyre, particulaly as I understand that although full size, it cannot be used for towing. We tow a caravan frequently in France and this now worries us. Can anyone give more information? Is it possible to buy an alloy wheel with a normal tyre, and if so, will it fit the tyre recess?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Subo

You are completely correct about the spare wheel (but check first to see what you get in case the situation has changed)

The problem is worsened by the fact that spare tyres of the correct size are not readily available "off the shelf". You'll probably have to wait for an overnight delivery (don't even think about weekends or Bank holidays). The situation will probably be worse in France which alarmed me.

I understand that the problem basically comes down to the wheel size (17inch x 6.5J) which is only used by Nissan.

As you say the spare is a 16inch x 6.5J steel wheel. it appears to be impossible to source a 17inch x 6.5j steel wheel for the spare.

Nissan will supply an alloy of the correct size priced at almost £600 plus the tyre. It is possible to buy new a 17inch x 7 alloy wheel for around £100 (plus the tyre) but I'm not sure about having different size wheels as regards legality, road holding and whether there is sufficient space in the wheelarch for a slightly larger tyre etc

Two of us managed to get around the problem by purchasing second hand alloys from a scrap dealer (after a lot of searching by JohnG). They are Easy Jap parts at http://www.easyjapparts.co.uk and cost £188 including delivery. Both had reasonable tyres. They were from a late 2007 model, 6 spoke and 5 stud but a slightly different pattern (the different pattern isn't very noticeable once fitted on the car). It is vital they are identical size to yours if you buy one. They are in the West Midlands. I drove up to get mine so's I could measure it up and compare it before buying.

Scrap wheels may be easier to get as more vehicles are involved in write offs.

And yes, it does fit in the spare wheel well.

Xacre

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry I only just saw this post but Xacre has said it all
I had the spare wheel sent by post and it was in good nick
I did send a picture to a breakers in Oldham and after they assured me that it was the right wheel when I got there it was a 16in with 5 spokes.As there were a lot of them and they were big I just thanked them for their time and drove the 50 miles home!! :headbang:
As can be expected I haven't needed the spare yet which is just as well considering the amount of dismantling required to get at it
Nissan don't do a 17 in steel rim but the last phase of the previous model came with 17in alloys and a 17in spare
The wheels that Xacre and I got came off a Columbia I was told

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Xacre, can you confirm please that a full sized alloy 17" spare does fit in the spare wheel well of the latest X trails. I would try to get one identical from a breakers. There must be a few about by now. I have been told by a dealer today that one dosn't fit. However I doubt if anyone has actually tried at the dealers. Its the make and break of buying a new / newish X trail.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
93 Posts
I tried to get a new 17" wheel from Rochford Tyres that appeareaed to be the correct spec, but they said that a previous customer had tried the wheel and it would not fit. (A Wolfrace Excite 552)

The 17" wheel from the older T30 X-Trail will fit in the boot of the latest T31 X-Trail but I have yet to find anyone who can confirm that it will actually fit on the hub which was the problem with the Wolfrace wheel.

Can anyone who purchased a 17" Columbia wheel please tell us whether they have tried it on the car not just in the boot?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi

JohnG just says that the columbia wheel fits the spare wheel well, it does not say that he has actually bolted it on the hub. I am concerned because a Wolfrace wheel of that has exactly the same spec does not fit ie it is 17/6.5 with the correct offset but still does not fit? I would therefore like to hear frome someone who has actually bolted one onto the hub, not just put it in the boot.

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi

I got my spare wheel from the same scrap yard as JohnG (they only had 2 if I remember correctly), it's exactly the same size and it fits both the hub and spare wheel well.

I went to collect mine and measured the bolt hole centres and the offset (put a straight edge across the inflated tyre and measure the distance to the hub mating surface) to check it against mine.
I then fitted it on the car before I left the scrapyard.

Xacre

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Xacre

I am relieved to hear that, as I have just purchased a 17" six spoke wheel off ebay. If any one else is interested there is a set of 4 on ebay that will finish tomorrow (14 April).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts