Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I have a 2003 sve X-trail, 77,000 miles and going strong, except for a rattling EGR valve. :)

But, to get to the point, I need to replace the tyres very soon. Any recomendations?

I have standard rims, 95% on road, but when I am off road need decent grip. ( launching and recovering boats, and accessing out of the way locations around the coast in Scotland for diving purposes)

priorities, in order are :

1) on road wet grip and handling
2) low road noise
3) off road grip
4) cost
5) tyre life

Any thoughts, with reasons, welcome.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, it seems that none of the members use tyres on their x-trails !

I.m going to try a set of Yokahama's as I can wait no longer - the threads are almost visable :cry: Will report back - if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi mds561,
Sorry for late reply. Now on my third X-trail. The standard dunlops for some reason don't do the job properly. Even with good tread they aquaplane very easily and "tramline" if you know what I mean! Best set of tyres are Michelin Sychrone but they only do them in 16" size, so on my second X-trail which had 17" I went for Pirelli Scorpion STR which again I found very good.
Hope that helps. ps A friend of mine has the Yoko's on his X-Trail and seems very happy with them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that Jezzer.. Not to late as I've put the worst ones on the back to squeeze a few more miles out - but only just legal, so want new tyres very soon, and winter is coming ! Had the Syncrones - seem good tyres. Think I will try the Yokahama's as they are 15% cheaper, and see what they are like.

Will report back.

Mad Dog

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I now have a set of Yokahama Geolander AT-S. Cost me just shy of £80 each all in, (fitted, ballanced, valve's, tax). At first sight the tread is deeper and blockier than both the Michelin Synchroneand the Dunlop D10. Expected the car to be quite a bit more "Squirelly" but not to bad at all. Cornering power at the limit is however noticably less than the Michelin's.

Fitted at 80,500 miles -will let you know how they go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How are the Yokos so far I am looking for exactly the same reasons as you - even down to the diving ?
Had the car 2 weeks now but bought the damn thing with a slow puncture :cry:

I had toyo Proxys on my last car and was well impressed (Lexus GS300) Thought about Toyo again for the Xtrail.

Have you any comments about the xtrail as a dive car. PM me please if anything not relevant to this thread

Regards
KEV

·
Registered
50 Posts
General Grabber AT2 tyres - a bit noisier on road, but perform well off road and seem to last for ages.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine had Dunlops on when I bought it (ST20 I think) These lasted a fair while, but weren't really great at anything.

Had all four replaced last year with Goodyear Wranglers. So far these are a much better tyre, much less road noise, more grip (escpecially when cornering) and loads more grip in the slippy stuff. They were about 380 the set including tracking.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Got Pirelli Scorpion STRs on mine shortly after I purchased the car. That was over 25000 miles ago, and getting to the point to start looking for some new ones. They were ok nothing outstanding. I am thinking something a bit more offroad capable but with the road noise and good grip as I still do a lot of road driving.
Be good to hear how others get on with their tyre choices.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts