Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, all four of the tyres on my xtrail are nearing the end of their life - I got my usual quote for replacement 215/60/17 from blackcirlce etc and the best price was £140 each.

Please can anyone advise on different tyre sizes that can be fitted to the standard xtrail alloys?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks Tim

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
55 or 50 tyres are very uncomfortable... Better is 65 --> 70 series for a lot of comfort. Only disadvantage is a less sharp steering. And sometimes a bit more roll. Depends on the tirepressure. I have 65, a good compromise. (Yokohama Geolander) To low tires, are most of the time rigid.Thereby, a 4x4 needs for good terrain capability, tires that can inflate air for better grip. Good luck with 50 tires... Hope you have a good spade :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi timpage, I had a set of 4 Goodyear Wranglers fitted by Micheldever Tyres near Andover 2 years ago for £352.99 including tracking, valves, balance and nitrogen air. Delighted with these tyres, they seem to me wearing very well compared to the original Dunlops which were followed by Bridgestones. The Wranglers seem to be more grippy on greasy surfaces, they coped very well with last winter's snow and handle better imo than both the Dunlops and Bridgestones. They are also quiet and the nitrogen air gives me the feeling they are cushioning the road better than conventional garage air.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tim,

I replaced mine with Pirelli Scorpion STR's. Got them from blackcircles.com at just over £100 each from memory.

They are a much better tyre & provide far more grip than the original Dunlop Grandtreks in my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I was looking into swapping my old Bridgestone Duelers for Scorpion STR or the bit bigger GY Vector 4Seasons SUV (215/70 R16).
Do you have any experience with the GYs, afaik the STRs are probably the best all-season replacement for the OEMs so far.
What about the 215/70 size, do you think there'll be any issues with that (my X-trail is standard height)?

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
nick1 said:
Hi,
I was looking into swapping my old Bridgestone Duelers for Scorpion STR or the bit bigger GY Vector 4Seasons SUV (215/70 R16).
Do you have any experience with the GYs, afaik the STRs are probably the best all-season replacement for the OEMs so far.
What about the 215/70 size, do you think there'll be any issues with that (my X-trail is standard height)?
Hi Nick welcome to the forum. I have a set of BFGoodrich T/A KO All Terrain 215/70/16 on a spare set of wheels that I use in the summer for my off road use and they don't make a lot of difference to the speed as you can see below.

Left click mouse to open jpeg file

Tyres size.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Went to Germany. Tires: Yokohama Geolander all weather / all terrain: very nice tires, not one problem in the (high) snow. Size: 215 x 70 x 16. Too wide, couses problems in the snow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the advices!
I managed to get a set of 4 STRs @ 104gbp/each from an e-shop (DOT 2510), in total ca.450 with tire service.
I have to note they are quite comfortable in compare to the Duellers, especially in the city.
No troubles with getting out of the steep icey ramp from my garage in the morning, but I'm looking forward to have some fun in the mountains in a few days.
Merry Xmas & a Happy New Year everyone!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.