Post subject: Metallic clunk on right turn
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:18 am 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T30 and T31
Year/Plate: 53 and 60
Colour: Silver and Black
Hi Guys,
Still have both Xtrails - this is the 53 plate 2.5 petrol one - only 93k on it. Apologies for length of post - mystery noises and what's been done takes some 'splainin so please bear with me!

Particularly at low speed, there was a loud metallic clunk - particularly when pulling away from being parked - that sounds and felt like it was coming from the footwell area of the passenger side front.

Initially it was just a clunk; lately it has progressed into a clunk and like a judder as whatever moved, moved again after straightening up - but not all the time.

My inspections showed the tie-rod boot was knackered so I changed that. Wasn't clear about the torque for it, so didn't overtighten too much. Took car for test drive & noise gone. Hooray!

Next morning, pull away and clunk, same as before. Checked for the torque rating and torqued the tie-rod properly. Test drive & noise gone.

Yep, clunk back again in the morning.

No obvious wear on the drop links, ARB-bushes, lower balljoint, control arm bushes. Coil spring seems perfect, shocks are fine, no noise from top of suspension area. Sub-frame bolts been checked.

Garage said they suspected a driveshaft issue - to me, the noise wasn't a rotational noise, and in all honesty, prior to them looking, there wasn't a drive-shaft noise. There sounds like there is now... But that's not the source of the problem, I don't think, although I'm out of ideas as to what it is.

Whatever it is, seems like when the car is jacked up, it temporarily moves whatever is the problem, as on several occasions after inspection, the noise disappears until the elves' magical work is undone over the next few hours...

Took them for a test drive and demonstrated the clunk. They said bushes, control arm, etc all seemed tight, but agreed the noise seemed to come from where the rear control arm mounting bolts to the chassis.

I ordered a control arm (£50 next day delivered from Germany :biggrin: ) & drop-link pair plus ARB bushes (£26) & had them fit it. Noise still there and I think some damage done to driveshaft as there's a different noise in addition to the loud clunk and judder.

Anyone had anything similar or any further ideas? No way she'll pass an MOT - due next month.

Much obliged guys,
Martin

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Metallic clunk on right turn
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:12 am 
Off Roader

Model: T30 Ti Series 1
Year/Plate: 2003
Colour: Silver
Mods: Too many to list here :o) See my ride from my signature link
Have you checked engine mounts, especially the one on that side ?

My Blog
My CarPC Install Worklog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:42 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: 2.2 DCi Columbia
Year/Plate: 2006 '06
Colour: Silver
Mods: LED Sidelight bulbs!
Driveshaft inner joints are known to fail with noise and vibration.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:29 pm 
Soft Roader

Thanks for your reading and reply guys.

Will have a look at the engine mounts.

Re the driveshaft joints - other than by removal, would manipulation reveal movement - lateral, or rotational? What's the best easiest way to identify the issue? I'd also expect a driveshaft to be an expensive replacement. Easy to fit/do?

Many thanks,
M

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:54 am 
Soft Roader

Car has been back in to the garage & I asked them specifically to re-check subframe bolts & engine mounts & driveshaft. They claim not to hear the clunk that is evident any time the car is driven, so there is no point in using them further at this time. They say they've checked everything and cannot find anything out of place, loose, worn other than a whine from the driveshaft on full lock - that wasn't there when I first took it to them.

I need to find another garage to check it out - problem is all my cars have gone to this one for the last 10 yrs and they've been good to now, so I don't have a relationship elsewhere. At 17, the car's not worth spending money on - I felt it was worth the investment to change the control arm & drop links/bushes. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers guys
M

Post subject: Re: Metallic clunk on right turn - Possibly solved
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:59 pm 
Soft Roader

Decided to have another look myself. Standing looking at the nearside engine mount, trying to rock the engine, bounce the corner of the car, I thought I saw some movement.

Took hold of the battery & the fecking strap/clamp wasn't tight. tightened it up and the original heavy clunk appears to be gone - fingers crossed. Evidently jacking the front end moved it back into position or tightened it against the clamp temporarily, but then it must vibrate loose and move again. There were scratch marks on the bottom plate the battery sits in.

Now I'm just left with the noises from what i now believe to be a damaged driveshaft... Will need to check the backing plate hasn't just been knocked into the rotor but up to my eyes in DIY so will have to wait a day or 3... Anybody out there got a T30 2.5 petrol auto nearside driveshaft going begging?

Thought it worth posting the moving battery making such a horrendous, structural integrity-threatening-sounding clunk! Just wish I'd found it before largely replacing the front suspension :headbang:

Thanks for reading/replying guys - this has always been a really useful forum.

Cheers,
M