It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Snapped drive shaft
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:48 pm 

As I pulled out of a road end, 1st gear, on Tuesday evening there was a loud clunk and I lost all forward drive. I managed to roll onto the curb as it was a busy narrow section of main road. When stationary, I checked gears forward and reverse and there was no drive. The engine was running as normal. I got out and looked under the front to find that the offside drive shaft had snapped. Not a broken cv joint, but in the middle of the 30mm steel shaft. To buy the nearside shaft it is about £50 and my broken offside was £150 +, typical. Anyway, I found a breaker selling one for £70 delivered. A garage friend said it was quite common on Nissans, I've not heard of it being a common occurance. A question I am stuck on is, when this happened I selected 4 wheel drive expecting it to drive the rear wheels as if the fronts were slipping on snow/mud and get me home, but nothing happened, still no drive. Is my 4wd not working?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Snapped drive shaft
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:37 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
From what I remember and studyng the service manual, The transferbox should have drive because it is driven by the differential cage/case not from driveshatf. Another way to confirm that is to have a second person to look under the car. If the propshaft turning or not. Like I sayd, On paper it should turn.

Profile Send private message