It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 2:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tyres
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:26 pm 
Soft Roader

Hi,

i currently have a 54 plate x trail which I have owned for two years, I have Pirelli Sport (not 100% sure the exact ones) tyres fitted at the mo but to tell you the truth the its a bit scary to drive in all the snow we have. I was wondering if it is the tyres why I seem to get stuck quite a bit in it, it also seems to want to go straight on too at corners I am driving at sensible speeds.

So what tyres would you recommend for the snow and also what size can I put on, they are currently 215.65.16.

how does everyone else x trail behave in the snow?

Ps I have an Audi quattro which is out performing my x trail in the snow by a country mile is this right.

thanks

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Tyres
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:31 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: X-trail
Model: 2.2Di SE+ T30
Year/Plate: 2001/Private
Colour: Blue
Mods: Private Plate, 205/80/16 M&S Tyres, Tinted Windows all round, Team Heko wind deflectors
I've got 215/70/16 Michelin Syncrone 4x4 a/t's on mine and have no prob's with them ... ain't been stuck once! :thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:10 am 
Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.2 dCi Sport
Year/Plate: 55
Colour: Silver & dirt
Mods: Mods? Parka wearing scooter muppets? Deckchair in the face and a good kicking on Brighton beach, I say!
Pirelli Scorpions on the back, Dunlop something-or-other on the front, all tyres a bit worn (3 - 4mm tread or thereabouts), not a problem in Scottish snow. Have used 'Lock' twice in particularly bad car parks, but staying in 'Auto' and keeping the revs down (2.2 dCi, haven't been over 2,000rpm this week) seems to give me all the grip I need.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 am 
Soft Roader

Thats it, getting some snow tyres, our lass has just been stuck on the flat more or less and and a slight incline in150 yrds from the house sick of digging and pushing now. Thinking about getting some of these Goodyear Wrangler AT/RTyre Size 215/65R16. I understand I cant put any bigger than 215's on my T30 is this right?

thanks for replies.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:18 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T30 2.5 SVE auto
Year/Plate: 2003
Colour: Zinc
Mods: Lots of Big stainless steel 3 inch dia Bars all round, Pioneer Double Din Stereo with GPS Bluetooth etc. Egas LPG system for super fuel frugality! I refurbed the Alloys. Installed a VAP flashlube driptube system er thats it.
Dunno about size as I have stuck with the original for my T30.
Just like to say I have two of the Dunlop GrandTreks ST20 and two of the Goodyear Wranglers on mine.
So far I have had zero problems from the XT. Romped up ungritted ice covered hills (that I'd have problems walking up) with ease. We have now 9 inches of snow and it's been a doddle. I'm driving 72 miles a day round trip in my XT about 20% of that on minor B roads etc. It's been educational just how good the XT is. Oh I recentl;y checked the tread and I have 8 mil on the backs and 5 mil on the fronts.

Only bit of 'sideways action' was when I 'found' the edge of a very small road (no kerb) with my left wheels 'had a sudden drop' and in my panic over corrected. This was on tuesday. See there are ditches either side and I didn't want to end up in one!
Your problems are imo due to the previous owner fitting cheaper road tyres. Whatever the make, always ask for Mud n Snow tyres which I believe have a snowflake on the tyre now. I've been reading a lot about 'Chinese Ditchfinders' which sound hilarious!
Hope that helps,

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:20 pm 
Soft Roader

Hi,

been strugling to find winter tyres obviously I have missed the boat, would it really matter if I put 4 completley different tyres on each rim?

thanks

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:29 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Subaru
Model: Forester XT
Colour: Silver
Depends how you want it to handle - take it you are talking about 4 of the same size?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:31 pm 
Soft Roader

hi yes, all the same size just completly different brands.

cheers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:39 pm 
Soft Roader

defo think my tyres are rubbish, scorpion str on back cant remember the front ones but decent make. me dad has just bought a cheap ford maverick with goodyear wrangler atr on the back and maxxis on front hands down it beats mine.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:00 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Subaru
Model: Forester XT
Colour: Silver
My wifes Rav4 has got 4 Bridgestone Duelers and they have been great in the snow and good all 'round summer/winter tyres. They're 235/16/16 and as mine have 215/60/17, the choice, as we all know, is a bit limited. Have just looked up and the Duelers are available in this size too. problem is I've just read reveiws about them and they don't get rated that well! Either I know nothing about tyres or someone's forgotten to let me know what to look for - I think they're good.
I also read that Scorpion aren't too well liked but on this forum they are. What to do?!!