Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Insurance companies 'charging more for winter tyres'

29K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  alex_alder 
#1 ·
Insurance companies 'charging more for winter tyres'

11 December 2010

By Brian Milligan Business reporter, BBC News

Some motorists who fit winter tyres to their car to cope with snow are being charged higher insurance premiums, it has been claimed.

AA Insurance Services says some people have been told to pay up to 20% more.

Winter tyres should be much safer in the snow, but some insurers have been counting them as a modification to the manufacturer's specifications.

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) says that is a mistake and premiums should not be higher.

The AA's Ian Crowder said in some cases insurers were even refusing to offer cover if winter tyres were fitted.

The mistake is being blamed on insurance company call centres, where not all staff may be aware of the safety implications.
Popular

Over the last few weeks of wintry weather, winter, or snow tyres, have proved more popular than ever before.

One supplier, Kwik Fit, says it has already sold 50,000 of them this year, compared with 2,000 last year.

And it is warning that many retailers have now sold out of the standard sizes.

The tyres provide improved performance on snow and ice.

Once the temperature falls below seven degrees Celsius, standard tyres tend to harden up, reducing their grip.

But winter tyres contain a higher proportion of natural rubber and silica, which keeps them more pliable in cold weather.

In tests conducted by the British Tyre Manufacturers Association, a car braking at 60mph in wet conditions has a five metre shorter braking distance if it has winter tyres fitted.
Expensive

Should winter tyres be compulsory?
Continue reading the main story
"Start Quote

We very much recommend that there should be a debate on this in the UK"

End Quote Clare Simpson RoadSafe

"There's a very, very, strong argument that people in the UK should fit winter tyres for the four to five months of the autumn and winter," says Clare Simpson, of the RoadSafe organisation.

Many other European countries have legislation that compels motorists to fit winter tyres in certain conditions.

They include Austria, parts of Germany and countries in Scandinavia.

But in practice, having a set of winter tyres means having a separate set of wheels, which can be expensive.

BMW told the BBC that prices for its smallest car, a One Series, would start at £600.

And you have to have somewhere to store the wheels as well.

Nevertheless Clare Simpson believes we should be thinking about legislation.

"We very much recommend that there should be a debate on this in the UK," she says.

Mistake

Even so, some call centre staff appear to have been telling customers that winter tyres require higher premiums.

Insurance companies may have been treating the tyres as a modification to the manufacturer's specifications.

The ABI said providing tyres are fitted by a reputable garage, and in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, motorists should not be charged a higher premium.

"The confusion may be through call centres, where that information is not getting through," says Malcolm Tarling, of the ABI.

"The fitting of winter tyres should not affect the risk," he insists.

If anyone is told they do in fact have to pay more when they fit those tyres, they are advised to contact their insurance company's head office directly.

See less See more
#2 ·
Would be interesting to hear a comment from Tim, our new sponser? Seems to me that the insurance companies have found yet another excuse for increasing premiums? Surely adding a safety system to your car should if anything, reduce your premium, rather than increase it - or is that too logical?

#4 ·
Hi
There has been a lot of talk about people being charged for putting winter tyres on their cars.

Can I just say to save any uncertainty we will not charge for anyone doing this though you do have to notify us if you add them?

May I also wish you all a very Happy Christmas and peaceful New Year.

#5 ·
Its rediculous having to inform an insurance company when changing tyres for the winter. The gov. recomends them, the insurance companies fuss. The insurance companies are so backward thinking.

#6 ·
Winter tyre friendly insurance companies

Insurance companies that do not charge for changing to winter tyres

1. Allianz (1.11.2010) Require notifying when they go on and come off.

2. Aviva (1.11.2010)
Aviva (formerly Norwich Union) They do NOT view putting OEM Steel wheels with winter tyres as a modification, nor do you need to inform them at wheel changeover time."

3. More Than (1.11.2010) Require notifying when they go on and come off.
Changing to manufacturer approved wheels of the same or smaller size (steel or alloy) does not count as a modification. Ditto for winter tyres. Required notification but no admin fee.

4. LV (11.11.2010) Require notifying when they go on and come off.
Changing to steel wheels (same size) with winter tyres does not incur a charge.

5. Swiftcover (2.12.10)
We would ask that you ask the manufacturer of the car if you can add Winter Tyres on VAG OEM spec wheels, if that is visible then we would cover the car with the change of wheels and there would be no change in premium in doing this.

6. NFU (2.12.10)

7. Privilege Insurance (Likely all Direct Line companies) (5.12.10) Require notifying when they go on and come off.

Insurance companies that charge an admin fee for changing to winter tyres

1/ Tesco (24.11.2010)

Insurance companies that see it as a modification and charge extra

1/ Tesco (24.11.2010)

2/

#7 ·
If I am putting a tyre on my vehicle that is the same size and speed rating and as the recommended OEM tyre then *** business is it of anyone else. In my own interests I choose to stick with All season M+s tyres instead of cheaper summer road tyres but thats my choice. Liikewise winter tyres if they are the same size and rating, then Insurers again none of your beeswax.

So if I replace Dunlop GrandTreks with Goodyear Wranglers then thats my business alone.

Now I must dash as I'm putting screenwash concentrate into the screenwash and I must ring my insurers......now that's sarcasm!

#9 ·
Why do insurance companies need to be informed about changing to winter tyres (tyres of the same size, etc) if they are a safety alternative to running summer tyres? If they do then I assume you need to inform them once again when you put your summer tyres back on? (Does the same rule apply if changing bulbs of the same rating or a different make of spark plug - I think not) I can fully understand insurance companies need to know if you have added a spoiler or up-rated the engine but to "add" a safety feature that is being used for the use it was intended for, ie, for added grip and traction in snow and ice during winter then the driver should be commended, not penalised.

Stinks of big brother wanting more money to me and if some insurance companies are not charging additional premiums for these tyres then why do they need to know? I would have thought that if you're running summer tyres in winter then that's when an additional premium (could) be justified as it (could) be said that you are not taking due care and attention with regard to the road conditions.

I think if you're running on winter tyres in winter then if anything, you should get a discount for being a responsible and considerate driver, rather than a "let's all dip in to piggy bank" there purely to subsidise those who make claims for accidents that happen in the snow (that may have been avoided if the'd had winter tyres on?) and those sniveling little spotty faced bone idle crettins that choose not to pay for car insurance, or road tax, or council tax, or income tax.............. awh, what's the point...........bring back the birch and be done with it. Happy Christmas - yea right. :lol: Only kidding but a note to all insurance companies: Could you justify your requests as well your premiums please as at what point does an alternative become a modification?

On a lighter note (thank God for that I hear you say) we've had about 6 inches of snow down here today and the X Trail ploughed straight through with no problems at all. :whistle:

#10 ·
Amen Vandy. I know that motor insurers are having a torrid time but the gouging of the good risks by way of idiotic additional premiums or the ever popular 'admin fee' con trick is just utter row-locks. They need to look to other sources for their profits not the responsible owner.
I work in Insurance, have done for over 33years, and even I think they're stinkers.
There is a lot of technical insurance stuff that could quote at length but suffice to say there is too much capacity in the sector and generally poor control of company expenses coupled with very low investment returns. None of which is us responsible owners problem.

I feel better now. :headbang:

Oh minus 12 deg c this morning..no problem with the XT snow etc easy as pie.

#12 ·
In the Netherlands there is no arrangement with insurance-companies 'bout winter tires. Even: we do not have an obligation to put them on. (Me: I have all season tires and they work very good in snow)

But.... we have a so called Coat and head-rack Law, which means: when you drive too fast with summer tires, and you cause a traffic accident, they sue you after all. And I think it's a good Law!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.