All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Can you use biodiesel in 2.2DI xtrail 2002
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:46 pm 

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.2 di sport
Year/Plate: 2002
Colour: Blue
Mods: Child seat
Hello new to this but could any one help was wondering if you can put biodiesel straight in to a 2002 2.2di xtrail at a 50/50 mix as not sure it's safe. A friend uses bio in his 2005 dci xtrail with no problems. Thanks

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Can you use biodiesel in 2.2DI xtrail 2002
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:10 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: 2.2 dci columbia
Year/Plate: 2006
Colour: blue
Mods: tow bar
hi toddy and welcome to the forum not sure on the biodiesel thing but hopefully umbongo or one of the other technical wizards will be along to give the definitive answer for both the di and dci motor
john

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:11 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Subaru
Model: Forester XT
Colour: Silver
Hi Toddy and welcome to the forum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:09 am 

Decided to try biodiesel as I have spoke to the garage that sells it. He says it's well filtered and had no reports of trouble off any body using his. I had £30 pound normal derv in then topped up with £20 bio been running ok. Ran it down to quarter of a tank then put another £20 bio in. Still seems to be running ok no smells and no smoke out the back seems to be running quieter. Bloke at garage says I might have to change fuel filter after a few hundred miles as bio cleans all gunk out of the fuel pipes. He's saying a lot of the cars that go there are running 100% bio but in the winter they mix it with normal derv. Going to fill up with normal shell derv and see if there was any power loss. If any 1 has been running bio for a long time would love to here if they are having any trouble with seals or pipes corroding.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:14 am 
Site Admin

Model: 2.2 Di Sport(T30 - YD22ETI) Trans MT.F6
Year/Plate: Dec 51
Colour: Red AX6
Nissan don't recommend using it as it can cause engine damage, I think it also says this in your owners handbook.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:01 pm 

In my handbook it doesn't say "not" to use it. Just says use diesel. And after been looking on the Internet alot of people say in other country's like France use 5% biodiesel in the diesel you by from the garages. In other country's it's 15% and I would of thought they would be same cars you buy here. Unless manufactures change things on the engine for different country's like fuel pumps and jets.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

Taken from Nissan Service manual.

DIESEL ENGINE
Diesel fuel of at least 50 cetane.
If two types of diesel fuel are available, use summer or winter fuel properly according to the following temperature
conditions.
Above –7°C (20°F) ... Summer type diesel fuel.
Below –7°C (20°F) ... Winter type diesel fuel.

PRECAUTIONS

CAUTION:
Do not use home heating oil, gasoline or other alternate fuels in your diesel engine. The use of
those can cause engine damage.
Do not use summer fuel at temperatures below –7°C (20°F). The cold temperatures will cause wax
to form in the fuel. As a result, it may prevent the engine from running smoothly.
Do not add gasoline or other alternate fuels to diesel fuel.

I did read a while back that it causes premature fuel pump failure and injectors.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:56 pm 

I can remember reading that now out of my handbook. But that was written in my handbook over 9 years ago. Wondering if bio is better now. Or if it still says that in the new Nissan handbooks. My friend been using it in his over 12 month now with no problems only normal services. Might fill it with normal derv for a while till I find out more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

The Use Of Biodiesel Fuel In Common Rail Diesel Engine
The use of biodiesel and common rail technology

High-pressure fuel pumps in diesel engine called the common rail, the working principle of ‘common rail’ is almost the same with an Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) in gasoline engines. Common rail systems is divided in 3 generation. The first generation of diesel fuel with a pressure below 1000 bars, the second generation pressurized diesel around 1300 to 1700 bar, while the third generation with diesel pressure above 2200 bar.

Works with common rail injection pressure is much higher than conventional diesel. Super high pressure will create a diesel-like ions when sprayed into the combustion chamber. Because the injector holes are so small that require diesel quality. Therefore, compression lasted more smooth, flat, fast and perfect. And this is precisely what makes working common rail diesel engine is much more efficient than gasoline engines or conventional diesel engine.

Therefore, common rail diesel engine 30% more efficient than gasoline engines, produce emissions of only 25% and produce 50% greater torque. other than that common rail engine capable of making a more minimal vibration, so that comfort can be equated with gasoline engines.

The quality of biodiesel fuel for diesel common rail
Common rail technology requires high-quality biodiesel fuel. If this can not be fulfilled, then the symptoms of interference with the machine will arise at some time. Machine problem originated from a declining performance, fuel consumption is more wasteful and check engine indicator light that flashes.

The use of poor-quality biodiesel can be seen from the physical filter diesel engine, jet-black color marks if there is a high sulfur content, although this can be overcome with a drain tank of diesel fuel and replace with a new filter. In addition, poor-quality biodiesel fuel contains water, dirt and excess sulfur that can block the work of his common rail pump.

Common rail fuel path is very small and precise, so that if diesel fuel contaminated, they will make common rail pump pressure is reduced or blocked.

As anticipated, the shortening of a regular maintenance on common rail diesel engine. The goal, for a heap of dirt and sulfur are not too long to settle in the tank of fuel and diesel filters.

The use of diesel fuel a high-quality highly recommended to keep the modern diesel engine can work optimally. But that does not mean common-rail diesel engine tech can not use biodiesel. As a consequence regular maintenance should receive extra attention.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:40 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: 2.2 dci columbia
Year/Plate: 2006
Colour: blue
Mods: tow bar
wow that was a mouthful then, are you saying then that biodiesel should be of good quality and that service interval should be increased specially fuel filter?