PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:51 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: XTRAIL
Model: 2.0 SE PETROL MANUAL
Year/Plate: 2006 / 06
Colour: BLACK
Mods: INSURERS WILL NOT ALLOW CHROME BUMPER BARS ! [TO PROTECT BUMPERS]
Hello All,

I know that this is probably an impossible problem to diagnose on a Forum - but just in case any other Members have had the same issue:

Tonight I pressed the button to open my Xtrail`s front offside Window and it only came down about 25mm and stopped - I was able to close it again - I tried once more to lower the Window with the same result and was able to close it again.

At that point I left the Window closed - I did not want it to fail completely when slightly open as it was raining and I did not want to be in a situation where I had to leave it open overnight.

I have had no `warning signs` at all with this Window - no slow closing - no strange noises or anything like that and it was working perfectly at the weekend.

I know that electric motors can fail at any time but is it strange that the Window opens to about 25mm and I can close it again if the electric motor has malfunctioned ?

I am fairly sure that the Window has been moving up and down too freely recently for the problem to be anything to do with a lubrication issue / lubrication fix.

I have seen messages on here from Members who were asking about their Xtrail Window closing very slowly or not working at all but my problem is different to any other thread that I have been able to find during a Search of the Forum.

However I might have not found an applicable thread because there are a lot of `Electric Windows` associated threads listed.

I would really appreciate any suggestions - although I will not be able to take the Door apart for probably about a Week or two because I have injured my Back [aggravated an existing problem] and will not be able to bend to remove the Door card etc. for a while.

I would still like to have some ideas to try when I am able to.

Regards,

Chris

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: DRIVERS ELECTRIC WINDOW STRANGE MALFUNCTION
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: SPORT X 2.2DI with SAFARI LIGHTS
Year/Plate: 2003/53
Colour: ARUBA BLUE BW06
Mods: LED Internal and Number Plate lights. Double Din Parrot Audioline Stereo. Nightbreaker Headlight Bulbs. Rubber Boot Liner. Home Made Roof Rack for Safiri Roof Rails. Fire extinguisher. First Aid Kit. 12V tyre pump inflator.
Hi Chris

There is a very good chance that the feed wire may have frayed by a couple of strands at one end. unfortunately once one of the strands on these units do snap you really need to replace the unit straight.. You can sometimes get away with just trimming off the snapped wire but usually within a few months you have to replace the unit anyway as more strands snap and you could find yourself in a situation where you cant close the window. Here is a link on e bay showing one for sale, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-X-TRA ... xyRhBSsrwJ you can see in the picture the threaded wire, which runs down the main centre piece and through two feeds into the white connectors into the motorised unit. What happens when one of the strands snaps it clogs up one of the sides and prevents movement beyond a certain point, your lucky that its where your restricted in opening the window as it could have been the other way round and prevented you closing it.

The only way you will know if this is the case is by actually taking the door card off and having a good look.

Cheers
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:17 am 
Xtrail Nut

mikeyseghill wrote:
Hi Chris

There is a very good chance that the feed wire may have frayed by a couple of strands at one end. unfortunately once one of the strands on these units do snap you really need to replace the unit straight.. You can sometimes get away with just trimming off the snapped wire but usually within a few months you have to replace the unit anyway as more strands snap and you could find yourself in a situation where you cant close the window. Here is a link on e bay showing one for sale, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-X-TRA ... xyRhBSsrwJ you can see in the picture the threaded wire, which runs down the main centre piece and through two feeds into the white connectors into the motorised unit. What happens when one of the strands snaps it clogs up one of the sides and prevents movement beyond a certain point, your lucky that its where your restricted in opening the window as it could have been the other way round and prevented you closing it.

The only way you will know if this is the case is by actually taking the door card off and having a good look.

Cheers
Mike

Hello Mike,

Thanks very much for your reply and for the educated / from experience suggestion on what may have caused my Xtrail`s Window problem.

Thanks also for the Link to the Ebay listing for a replacement Motor etc. - the problem Window is the Offside Front [Drivers Window] but I used the Link item`s title changing `Nearside` to Offside` and immediately found a similar listing.

As I mentioned in my original message I will not be able to take off the Door card etc. at present because of a Back problem but at least now I think that replacing the Motor as a DIY job does not seem to be a particularly daunting task [?].

As You mentioned I was lucky to be able to close the Window - it could easily have stuck open and it was raining - I was opening a couple of Windows slightly to try and stop the Windows misting up while I was talking to a Neighbour in the Car.

I hope that I will be able to remember to NOT use the Window button - I am used to opening the Window immediately on entering the Car every time irrespective of the temperature - except when it is raining so it is very much an `automatic` thing.

Thanks again Mike - I really appreciate your interest and your knowledgeable suggestion about the likely cause of the problem with my Xtrail`s Drivers / Front Offside Window.

Regards,

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:38 am 
Xtrail Nut

Hello again,

I may have been a bit optimistic when I wrote this:

`at least now I think that replacing the Motor as a DIY job does not seem to be a particularly daunting task [?]`.

Because I have just read this post from Member calnafa:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54465

QUOTE:

UPDATE on the regulator scenario for anyone who is interested...
My drivers side window would not move at all, decided that it needed either a motor or regulator. These are not interchangeable, each door has a separate mechanism, drivers side cost more and are hard to find.
Got a drivers side regulator with motor from a scrap yard for £40, so bear in mind when using part sourcers online as they were quoting upwards of £70 for both...
There are various videos on line that explain how to change the parts.
Anyway, not as easy as it looks on various videos mainly because :
a) if your motor is b*$$*$&d then you cant move the window manually or otherwise to get to the glass holding screws. It would not push down at all.That took a while.
b) Probably due to the same problem as (a) above, I also had to cut the cable from the motor to remove the window
c) be aware that the clips that hold the glass are liable to snap ( I snapped two)
d) also be aware that you will need some window putty to replace the glass

The whole process took over an hour with a few breath holding moments.

Another thing to remember is that when I replaced the glass and motor and finally got the screw holes lined up ( much undoing and wiggling and redoing and replugging in ) the window struggled and the motor groaned. I WD'd the runners for the actual window-probably the reason for the motor failure in the first place, gunk in the tracks, so maybe think of this before getting a new mechanism. (However, the motor didn't work when detached from the door either so it did need replacing...but if it starts groaning or slowing I would sluice and oil the runners either side of the door, might save a job).
All fine now.

END OF QUOTE

Hopefully because my Window Glass has not stopped in the Down position I would not have the screw accessing problems that they had - but their overall description does not make the job seem as `simple` as I had hoped - and that is without the Door card / Handrest etc, removal & refitting being carried out without breaking any fixings / clips.

Have You replaced a Motor on your Xtrail Mike ?

Did You have any problems that I should look out for if I have to replace my Car`s Window Motor ?

Regards,

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:30 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Mods: LED Internal and Number Plate lights. Double Din Parrot Audioline Stereo. Nightbreaker Headlight Bulbs. Rubber Boot Liner. Home Made Roof Rack for Safiri Roof Rails. Fire extinguisher. First Aid Kit. 12V tyre pump inflator.
Hi Chris

When I replaced mine it was all done and dusted in about 30 minutes without any issues.

Here is a link that will be of great help to you https://ownersmanuals2.com/get/nissan-x ... n-gw-38706

Its the same procedure on the T30 from 2001 to 2007 for replacing

Cheers
Mike

[

quote="CHRISM"]Hello again,

I may have been a bit optimistic when I wrote this:

`at least now I think that replacing the Motor as a DIY job does not seem to be a particularly daunting task [?]`.

Because I have just read this post from Member calnafa:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54465

QUOTE:

UPDATE on the regulator scenario for anyone who is interested...
My drivers side window would not move at all, decided that it needed either a motor or regulator. These are not interchangeable, each door has a separate mechanism, drivers side cost more and are hard to find.
Got a drivers side regulator with motor from a scrap yard for £40, so bear in mind when using part sourcers online as they were quoting upwards of £70 for both...
There are various videos on line that explain how to change the parts.
Anyway, not as easy as it looks on various videos mainly because :
a) if your motor is b*$$*$&d then you cant move the window manually or otherwise to get to the glass holding screws. It would not push down at all.That took a while.
b) Probably due to the same problem as (a) above, I also had to cut the cable from the motor to remove the window
c) be aware that the clips that hold the glass are liable to snap ( I snapped two)
d) also be aware that you will need some window putty to replace the glass

The whole process took over an hour with a few breath holding moments.

Another thing to remember is that when I replaced the glass and motor and finally got the screw holes lined up ( much undoing and wiggling and redoing and replugging in ) the window struggled and the motor groaned. I WD'd the runners for the actual window-probably the reason for the motor failure in the first place, gunk in the tracks, so maybe think of this before getting a new mechanism. (However, the motor didn't work when detached from the door either so it did need replacing...but if it starts groaning or slowing I would sluice and oil the runners either side of the door, might save a job).
All fine now.

END OF QUOTE

Hopefully because my Window Glass has not stopped in the Down position I would not have the screw accessing problems that they had - but their overall description does not make the job seem as `simple` as I had hoped - and that is without the Door card / Handrest etc, removal & refitting being carried out without breaking any fixings / clips.

Have You replaced a Motor on your Xtrail Mike ?

Did You have any problems that I should look out for if I have to replace my Car`s Window Motor ?

Regards,

Chris[/quote]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:46 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Hello again Mike,

Thanks very much for your reply and for the Link to the Owners Manuals website.

I did know about that excellent website - probably from a previous Member recommendation - and I do have various Repair Manual sections extracts that I have downloaded from there over the last few years including the Glass section which I was looking at and printing out some diagrams from last night.

I am sure that the Link that You included in your message would be very helpful to Members - perhaps you could post it as a separate thread for all to take advantage of ?

I also have a CD version of the Repair Manual which I bought from Ebay when I bought my Xtrail but it is for a left hand drive vehicle and in some circumstances when just looking at a `mirrored diagram` without actually being at the Car it can be slightly confusing - although I am experienced in following Drawings / Diagrams for Heating, Plumbing, Gas Engineering & Construction etc.

Could You clear up one other point please Mike:

In one of the Repair Manual Glass section pages I am almost sure that I read a reference to an Adhesive being required for bonding the Window Glass onto its frame and Member calnafa stated that some `Window putty` is required when replacing the Window Motors [d. on his list].

I cannot imagine that any `Putty` would be suitable to hold a Car Electric Window Glass into a moving metal frame - but also I am sure that using an incorrect Adhesive would definitely cause problems ?

Did You need an Adhesive for the Glass when you replaced your Xtrail`s Window Motor ?

Also - hopefully this is not a `silly question` - do you happen to know - would a non opening Window be a fail on an MOT - I was wondering about any regulations regarding `Escape from the vehicle` - ?

Thanks very much for your help with this Mike - I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:15 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Hello again Mike,

I am Sorry if my questions are becoming a nuisance but I would like to be sure that I know exactly how to go about the Regulator replacement before I decide to order the part.

I have just been watching a couple of YouTube videos on replacing the Window Regulator on a Nissan Xterra - I could not find any Xtrail videos.

Here is one of the Videos:

https://youtu.be/ALQRqTG3rRo

Having watched the process the first thing that occurs to me is that to disconnect the Window glass from the Regulator the Window would have to be almost fully Down to access the screws on the glass clips - obviously at present I cannot lower the Window using the Switch / Motor.

Would just cutting the cables off the Motor allow the Glass to be moved down the track to access the screws ?

I also note that the `clips` that hold the Glass look very flimsy - am I correct that if I broke any of those then I would obviously need new ones - if readily obtainable - and the correct Adhesive would be required to bond the clips to the Glass ?

Perhaps that is what the reference to `Adhesive` that I read was about [somewhere in the Glass section of the Manual] and what Member calnafa meant by `Window Putty` ?

Thanks again Mike - as I mentioned above I don`t want to become a nuisance with multiple questions

However I always ensure that I `know everything` about any job that I am going to do so I am almost certain that I will have a few more questions if I decide to order the Window Regulator to fit myself.

As my Nissan Main Dealer Service Centre charges £100.00 per Hour and no doubt the Window Regulator would probably be over £150.00 [Guess ?] - I cannot justify a possible £300.00 or £350.00 Bill from them.

If I order from Ebay I will obviously have to try and ensure that I get the correct part - `Front Offside [Drivers Window] Power Window Regulator`.

From the photos on the listing that you gave me the link to and the one that I found for the Front Offside Regulator they looked exactly the same - although I think that `Library Images` are often used on Ebay irrespective of the exact part image.

Regards,

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:18 am 
Xtrail Nut

Hi Chris

Your questions are not a nuisance all, I do not mind at all.

It was a few years ago that I replaced mine so I am not 100% sure on everything, I do know however that I had no issues what so ever with the replacing of the glass as it was held in place by two small window clamps, there was no requirement for any sealant, putty or anything else.

I will have a look at mine this weekend and refresh my memory. I will come back to you with the relevant info' most probably Sunday Night or Monday Morning. I will also try and take some photos for you.

Cheers
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:13 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: T30 SXL 2Ltr petrol, Manual .2WD
Year/Plate: 2006
Colour: Silver (Dirty)
Mods: Leather seats , Bull bars , SS side steps , Towbar, Radio .CD, Mp3 , Bluetooth , Wife who knows everything.
just by way of a suggestion ..
When I got my Xtrail at first .. I had window issues of various types .. partial opening etc.

In the end I managed to replace 3 window switchs .. Including the main driver side switch pack.
I suggest you try swapping known good ones from the other windows for the defective side before undertaking any major work as a diagnostic. The position and construction of the window switches is an invitation for dirt and spillages to
mess up the internal connections of the switches.

Actually , one of the replacements I got ( all secondhand ) initially didn't work until i sprayed it liberally with electrical contact cleaner. ( Halfords carry it ..Silver can with a green cap )

Ever since I have had no problems.

Just a suggestion.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:11 pm 
Xtrail Nut

mikeyseghill wrote:
Hi Chris

Your questions are not a nuisance all, I do not mind at all.

It was a few years ago that I replaced mine so I am not 100% sure on everything, I do know however that I had no issues what so ever with the replacing of the glass as it was held in place by two small window clamps, there was no requirement for any sealant, putty or anything else.

I will have a look at mine this weekend and refresh my memory. I will come back to you with the relevant info' most probably Sunday Night or Monday Morning. I will also try and take some photos for you.

Cheers
Mike

Hello again Mike,

Thanks very much for your reply and for not feeling pestered by my questions.

I would welcome any `Tips` that You can give me - I really appreciate your help with this.

There is no rush because as I mentioned in a previous message I have aggravated / injured an existing Back problem so I definitely cannot do any work on my Xtrail`s Door / Window for a while - my Back is so bad that I can`t even take the Door panel off to have a look at present.

I would welcome as much information as possible prior to replacing the Window Regulator as I like to `know everything` in advance about any Job that I do.

When You mentioned taking a few Photos - I cannot expect you to take your Xtrail`s Door apart to do that - if you are intending to do that it would be beyond `being helpful` !

When I looked at the YouTube video about replacing the Window Regulator on a Nissan Xterra one of the most important items was to be able to lower the Window so that the screws holding it onto the Regulator lined up with cut outs in the Door so that you could unscrew them - removing the Glass.

I was under the impression that the Nissan Xterra is the U.S. version of the Xtrail so I thought that the Doors might be the same regarding having to lower the Window into a certain position to be able to remove the Glass screws - and to re-fix the Glass to the new Regulator ?

When I am able to I will obviously take off the Door panel to have a look.

Also I have previously read about `faulty / dirty switches` - so as helpfully reminded by Member jaykcee I will also check the Switch before ordering a Window Regulator.

I am doubting that the Switch is faulty because it was working perfectly only a few Days before the Window problem and it was `trying` to lower the Window Glass and did raise the glass to the closed position a couple of times - however I will try to check it / clean the contacts etc.

My Xtrail is used so infrequently - probably only about 25 times per year [including a weeks holiday use] - that there should not be an issue with any Dirt / Dust etc. getting into any of the Window Switches - especially at the Drivers side - in fact in Autumn and Winter I usually have a folded up flannel covering the Drivers Door Window Switches so that no Rain gets into the Switches when I have to get in and out of the Car when it is raining heavily.

Thanks again Mike for your interest and for being so helpful.

Regards,

Chris