Xtrail Nut

Car:: XTRAIL
Model: 2.0 SE PETROL MANUAL
Year/Plate: 2006 / 06
Colour: BLACK
Mods: INSURERS WILL NOT ALLOW CHROME BUMPER BARS ! [TO PROTECT BUMPERS]
jaykcee wrote:
just by way of a suggestion ..
When I got my Xtrail at first .. I had window issues of various types .. partial opening etc.

In the end I managed to replace 3 window switchs .. Including the main driver side switch pack.
I suggest you try swapping known good ones from the other windows for the defective side before undertaking any major work as a diagnostic. The position and construction of the window switches is an invitation for dirt and spillages to
mess up the internal connections of the switches.

Actually , one of the replacements I got ( all secondhand ) initially didn't work until i sprayed it liberally with electrical contact cleaner. ( Halfords carry it ..Silver can with a green cap )

Ever since I have had no problems.

Just a suggestion.

Hello jaykcee,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I had previously read comments from Members about `Dirty Switch Contacts` - but Thanks for reminding me - when I am able to - I have a Back injury at present - I will remove the `Main Switch` and the Switch from the Passenger Door and swap switches to check the Window Switch Operation.

At that time I would also need to be physically able to remove the Door panel just in case the Window opened slightly and got stuck down - if the Regulator is the problem - so that hopefully I could do something to raise the Window glass up into the closed position.

I mention this only because it is going to be a while before I can investigate the Window problem via removing the Door panel or try swapping the Window Switches and I don`t want You or Mike to think that I am ignoring your very helpful suggestions because I am not updating this thread with further information on what I found.

Thanks again jaykcee - I really appreciate your interest and helpful suggestions.

Regards,

Chris

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: DRIVERS ELECTRIC WINDOW STRANGE MALFUNCTION
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:22 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: SPORT X 2.2DI with SAFARI LIGHTS
Year/Plate: 2003/53
Colour: ARUBA BLUE BW06
Mods: LED Internal and Number Plate lights. Double Din Parrot Audioline Stereo. Nightbreaker Headlight Bulbs. Rubber Boot Liner. Home Made Roof Rack for Safiri Roof Rails. Fire extinguisher. First Aid Kit. 12V tyre pump inflator.
Hi Chris

I have just sent you a pm. I will do the pictures and a write up of how to do the exchange. It will be handy for others in the future whom may get a similar problem.

Cheers
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:06 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Hello All,

Do any Members know for certain whether a `Non opening Drivers Electric Window` would be an MOT Test failure ?

I have looked at a lot of websites after doing a Google search and there seems to be more "No" answers than here are "Yes" - but there are enough "Yes" answers to make it impossible to know which is correct.

I have looked at a list of MOT Test items but there is nothing specific about `Non Opening Windows`.

I have been wondering whether there would be `Safety` reason why the Drivers / Offside Front Electric Window would have to be working for the Car to pass an MOT Test ?

Something that has occurred to me related to this is that when the MOT Tester has the Car on the `Rolling Road` to test the Brakes he has to have the control box lead going through the Drivers window.

I am wondering whether there would be a `Safety reason` why the Control box lead could NOT be taken through the Offside Rear Window and over the Tester`s shoulder for him to use the Control box - regarding normally if anything went wrong with the Rolling Road / Xtrail`s Brakes hopefully the Control box and lead would just be pulled out of the Drivers window - however if it was through the Rear window and over his shoulder the Control box could cause him serious Facial injury if the lead was pulled out for any reason - regarding the Rolling Road / Brakes malfunction ?

I would like to get some opinions before I phone my Nissan Main Dealer Service Centre where I have my Xtrail`s MOT Tests done - they would immediately ask for my Car`s registration number before trying to find out the answer for me [You speak to the Servicing & Repairs Reception Staff first] and I don`t really want to alert them in advance.

I don`t want to phone other MOT Testing Stations because what they say / do might not be the same as where I have my Xtrail`s MOT Test done.

If I find out that the Window not working is NOT an MOT Test failure - or cannot find out the answer to this and I am just concerned about the Rolling Road Control box and lead I would probably book the MOT Test and wait until the point in the Test where the Rolling Road / Brake Tests are about to happen and then mention that the Drivers Window does not open and HOPE that I have a `Nice` Tester who will be prepared to have the Rolling Road Control Box lead through the Rear window with the lead over his shoulder in order to complete the MOT Test because from memory the Brakes testing is the last test [?].

I hope to get some opinions / answers Please - especially from any Members who have had their Xtrail or other Cars MOT Tested when there was a `Non Opening Drivers Window`.

Regards,

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:19 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Hello All,

Because of a severe long term Back problem I still have not been able to even take off my Xtrail`s Door card to look at the Window Regulator to confirm that it needs replacing and so that I can photograph it to try and ensure that I order the correct one IF I can find one on Ebay.

I wrote in one of my previous messages that I had found a used Window Regulator on Ebay for £25.00 plus £15.00 P&P which would have been a good result - however I had not noticed in the description that `OSR` meant `Offside REAR` so that was no good.

I have looked many times since using various descriptions one of which was: `Nissan Xtrail T30 Front Offside Window Regulator` - I found only listings at really high prices or listings from Lithuania and on most of those the picture of the Regulator did not match with the other listings that I saw for either the `Nissan Xtrail T30 Nearside Front Window Regulator` or for the `Nissan Xtrail T30 Offside Rear Window Regulator`.

I did find ONE listing from Lithuania where the picture seems to match other Xtrail Regulator listings - BUT I am very dubious about buying a Window Regulator from Lithuania which only costs £30.00 with £11.00 delivery to Me / the UK

It also occurs to me that IF it is for a left hand drive Xtrail it would not be for the `Drivers Window` re the switch etc. on my Xtrail ?.

Here is a link to one of the Lithuania listings:

https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outl ... reserved=0

There are many Ebay listings for the T30 Xtrail `Front Nearside Window Regulator` or for the `Rear Offside Window Regulator` - but I have found NONE from UK sellers for the Front Offside Window Regulator at a reasonable price.

As I mentioned I will not be buying a Window Regulator until I can establish exactly what the existing one looks like - the correct `Hand` for my Drivers Window / Front Offside Window - but I do want to try and have a couple of Ebay listings found so that I can order as soon as I have been able to remove the Xtrail`s Door card etc.

I would appreciate any comments / advice.

Regards,

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:47 pm 
Xtrail Nut

CHRISM wrote:
Hello All,

Because of a severe long term Back problem I still have not been able to even take off my Xtrail`s Door card to look at the Window Regulator to confirm that it needs replacing and so that I can photograph it to try and ensure that I order the correct one IF I can find one on Ebay.

I wrote in one of my previous messages that I had found a used Window Regulator on Ebay for £25.00 plus £15.00 P&P which would have been a good result - however I had not noticed in the description that `OSR` meant `Offside REAR` so that was no good.

I have looked many times since using various descriptions one of which was: `Nissan Xtrail T30 Front Offside Window Regulator` - I found only listings at really high prices or listings from Lithuania and on most of those the picture of the Regulator did not match with the other listings that I saw for either the `Nissan Xtrail T30 Nearside Front Window Regulator` or for the `Nissan Xtrail T30 Offside Rear Window Regulator`.

I did find ONE listing from Lithuania where the picture seems to match other Xtrail Regulator listings - BUT I am very dubious about buying a Window Regulator from Lithuania which only costs £30.00 with £11.00 delivery to Me / the UK

It also occurs to me that IF it is for a left hand drive Xtrail it would not be for the `Drivers Window` re the switch etc. on my Xtrail ?.

Here is a link to one of the Lithuania listings:

https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outl ... reserved=0

There are many Ebay listings for the T30 Xtrail `Front Nearside Window Regulator` or for the `Rear Offside Window Regulator` - but I have found NONE from UK sellers for the Front Offside Window Regulator at a reasonable price.

As I mentioned I will not be buying a Window Regulator until I can establish exactly what the existing one looks like - the correct `Hand` for my Drivers Window / Front Offside Window - but I do want to try and have a couple of Ebay listings found so that I can order as soon as I have been able to remove the Xtrail`s Door card etc.

I would appreciate any comments / advice.

Regards,

Chris

Hello again All,

Some of the Window Regulators listed on Ebay from sellers in Lithuania do not include the Motor and all of them that I have seen are `Made in Taiwan`.

The `Made in Taiwan` and with the situation of not being able to return the Regulator to the seller in Lithuania without it costing as much as the price to buy it [approx. £30.00 = £11.00 P&P from Lithuania] - and perhaps finding out that they `Did not receive it` if it had to be sent back - has made me decide not to buy from the Lithuania Ebay Sellers.

I have not been able to find ANY other `Offside Front Window Regulators` [including Motor] for my Xtrail at a reasonable price - I have seen listings ranging from about £150.00 to well over £200.00 for used Regulators - I have done a lot of searching.

I don`t know what a NEW Window Regulator would cost but surely not much over £200.00 ?

I have seen listings for the `Front Right Window Regulator` from Australia - from memory at about £60.00 plus `£28.00 International P&P` - however I would not want to be waiting possibly weeks for delivery as I think it would be arriving in the UK on a Ship - then delivered by ? ?

Plus I have to arrange for someone to be at my Home during the day for any deliveries - an unknown delivery date would not suit that.

There are MANY Ebay listings for Window Regulators [including Motors] for all of the other Xtrail Windows but NOT for the Drivers Window !

In the apparently unlikely event that any Members do come across an `Offside Front / Driver`s Window Regulator` [including Motor] for a 2006 Nissan Xtrail T30 that is not listed at £150.00 - £220.00 I would be VERY grateful to get a Link to the listing Please.

Sorry to be prolonging this thread but I find it really irritating to not be able to open the Drivers Window on my Xtrail as I would usually have it open even during the Winter / on the coldest of days and I would really like to find a replacement Window Regulator - including the Motor.

Regards,

Chris

"Happy Easter" to all of our Members

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:39 am 
Soft Roader

Have not had any experience of partially opening/sticking windows on my X-Trail (yet?). However, have had problems with electric windows requiring reset on Renault and Skoda. Procedure with them was to hold the window switch in the "wind up" position whilst switching on the ignition and maintain hold for several seconds. Then repeat with the down switch. After that the windows worked correctly. I was told that the procedure reset the automatic stop limits which may have become corrupted. Obviously that would be a risk in your present situation if it stuck open during the process. Anyone else with specific experience on Nissans?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:22 pm 
Xtrail Nut

AMB wrote:
Have not had any experience of partially opening/sticking windows on my X-Trail (yet?). However, have had problems with electric windows requiring reset on Renault and Skoda. Procedure with them was to hold the window switch in the "wind up" position whilst switching on the ignition and maintain hold for several seconds. Then repeat with the down switch. After that the windows worked correctly. I was told that the procedure reset the automatic stop limits which may have become corrupted. Obviously that would be a risk in your present situation if it stuck open during the process. Anyone else with specific experience on Nissans?

Hello AMB,

Thank You very much for your message.

Something that I found a bit strange when my Xtrail`s Window malfunctioned was that I had never had any warning signs - out of all of them the Drivers window Motor seemed the most powerful regarding the speed of window opening and closing - I had never experienced any `sticking` - the Window had always worked perfectly even at the last use before the malfunction which from memory was only 3 or 4 days previously.

As You mentioned I would need some `expert guidance` if there is a similar procedure to what you mentioned for Xtrail Windows - if there is when I try it I would need to be ready to take the Door card etc. off in the event of the Window sticking in the open position so that I could somehow wedge the window back up into the closed position.

I do know that there is a `Reset` button on the Window Regulator Motor which I think is used to set the Window closing process regarding an Automatic stop a few centimetres from fully closed or to set the mechanism so that it cannot close the window if there is any obstruction in the window area ?

When I can disassemble the Door card etc. I would try to find the instructions for that process and obviously try it first but as I mentioned I cannot understand why / how the Window malfunction just happened without the slightest warning so I am doubtful that the `Reset` button will rectify my Xtrail`s Window problem ?

I don`t know whether any other Members will look at this thread - there have been over 425 views when I last looked and perhaps it is now `Old News` regarding people having seen the thread title in `Active topics` for a couple of weeks ?

However if I am lucky enough to get some more replies hopefully someone will know details about the procedure that You mentioned - Thanks for describing it.

Regards,

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:08 am 
Soft Roader

Chris
Found this on the forum - see link provided by Umbongo for "Reset Operation Front Door Glass" https://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3913. Also this via Google https://www.aaen.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/AutodataNissan4.pdf and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwTBXe0YY3U

Hope that it helps.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:13 pm 
Xtrail Nut

AMB wrote:
Chris
Found this on the forum - see link provided by Umbongo for "Reset Operation Front Door Glass" https://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3913. Also this via Google https://www.aaen.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/AutodataNissan4.pdf and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwTBXe0YY3U

Hope that it helps.

Hello again AMB,

Thank You very much for finding the information and posting the links.

Unfortunately for me none of those processes would work for my Xtrail`s Window because the problem is that when I pressed the Window button to open it the glass only came down about 22mm and then stopped / jammed - luckily it did close when I lifted the window button.

When this first happened I did try it once more with the same result and I have accidentally pressed the Window button again once more when I was driving - again luckily the Window did close again on both occasions.

So I cannot open the Window fully to carry out the `Reset` process that is described in Umbongo`s very helpful PDF - although when I am able to remove the Door card etc. I will try pressing the Reset button on the Window Motor first just to see if it does anything to the Motor`s running operation.

However - Thanks again for finding the information and posting the links to the 3 items I am sure that they will be helpful to future readers of this thread.

Regards,

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:09 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Hello again All,

An Update about my Xtrail`s Offside Front Window problem - I obtained a Quote to replace the Window Regulator and Motor from my Nissan Main Dealer service Centre.

Today I had my Xtrail`s MOT Test done at my Nissan Main Dealer Service Centre / MOT Testing Station - the Xtrail passed and I got comments on `How Solid the Car was underneath` for a 12 year old vehicle.

They also replaced the Passenger Air Bag under the Nissan Recall process and carried out the `Nissan Free Health Check` which had every item `Green` for O.K.

While I was at the Servicing department I asked for a quote to replace the Offside Front [Drivers] Window Regulator and Motor [they are separate parts]:

The price is £670.00 ! !

The Regulator and Motor parts only are priced as £498.odd ! !

Labour stated to be 1.5 Hours costing £172.00 [at £115.00 per Hour]

I was well out regarding this comment in my previous message:

QUOTE:

`I don`t know what a NEW Window Regulator would cost but surely not much over £200.00 ?`

END QUOTE

After I wrote that I thought I had guessed a bit Low - that probably the Parts would cost between £250.00 and £300.00 and that the Motor would be part of the Regulator - but it was too late to Edit my message - but actual cost of Parts alone £498.odd ! !

I asked for a Quote even though I have still not been able to even remove the Door panel to investigate the Window Regulator because of a Back problem because IF it had been `reasonable` I would have probably got the work done there as I cannot find ANY `Offside Front / Drivers Window Regulator with Motor` listed on Ebay or Amazon from a UK Seller and at a reasonable price.

However I cannot believe the Quote of £670.00 ! !

I need to try and find somewhere that sells a new Window Regulator & Motor to see how much I can buy new parts for and then fit them myself - hopefully I can identify the correct Offside Front / Drivers Window Parts as I believe that ALL of the Window Regulators & Motors are different parts ?

Having watched a YouTube video of a Window Regulator & Motor being replaced on a Nissan Xterra [in the U.S.] I know that I am capable of fitting the parts - albeit with the possible problem of not being able to lower the fully Glass down to access the screws that hold it onto the Regulator brackets - which have to be accessed via specific holes in the Door shell.

If any Members know of an Xtrail T30 Parts Supplier that might still be able to supply an `Offside Front Window Regulator & Motor` for a 2.0 Litre 2006 T30 2WD Xtrail I would be very grateful for either the website address or a Link to the website.

Regards,

Chris