It is currently Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Farewell and thank you
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:16 pm 

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.2 dci SE
Year/Plate: 2006/06
Colour: Zinc kx4
Mods: Mods: floor mats, parcel shelf, roof rails, osram nightbreakers, Goodyear EfficientGripSUV's
I’ve said farewell to our 2006 T30 xtrail after 2 years and 29k miles but keep fond memories of the times together. Rather than just ‘disappear’ I wanted to say a big thank you to all of you who make this place possible. The shared knowledge has been invaluable and is much appreciated.

Looking back, the xtrail has been very enjoyable and did everything asked of it. Each day it absorbed several miles of bumpy single-track lanes just to reach 'civilisation'. It did all the usual stuff of school bus stop runs and family holidays, then also pushed trailer loads of logs up grassy slopes and towed a boat to events around the UK over winter and summer. It's worked and been a good all-rounder!

I fed the xtrail with lovely ‘BP Ultimate’ diesel and in return [I like to think] it worked without breakdown! To be fair my hands did get dirty aplenty with the usual service items. Plus, the ‘keeping an older vehicle working’ stuff, such as the exhaust, cracked fuel hose, washer pumps, some bushes, oil sump pan and tailgate harness (see here). I also replaced a bunch of engine sensors as prevention, added a trailer relay, upgraded the stereo, fitted decent Osram bulbs for comfort.

One of the reasons I bought the T30 was that it has a manual lockable centre differential, and this worked great with a new set of [quiet!] Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV tyres. Together these really impressed, quite a few times, most memorably while ascending some icy hills last winter by controlling power to keep both traction with some momentum (the challenge was getting around the spun-out and abandoned vehicles!).

However, recent family and lifestyle changes mean journeys are now fewer, shorter, with less passengers and infrequent towing. Also, there was a whole new choir of noises assembling under the vehicle, including a wishbone ball, roll bar bush and steering rod end… Then the heavy clutch was starting to hurt my back in stop-start traffic… and don’t mention the worrying high bite point on the clutch! Fortunately, for the first time, I just happened to be able to afford a new modestly priced SUV so the xtrail has been traded-in for something a little smaller and younger.absolutely

Choosing the replacement took me absolutely ages and I nearly gave up trying to find a vehicle that met my wish list of features: shorter, reliable, without a track record of issues, petrol engine, auto-box (must be torque converter type), raised seating position, prefer some form of four-wheel drive, obviously manual lock diff is even better, and of course affordable-ish! In the end I found the answer but that would be going off topic...

So, a big thank you to all at this fantastic forum!

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Farewell and thank you
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:17 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-trail 2.2
Model: Diesel DCi T-Spec
Year/Plate: 2005
Colour: Silver
Yetty wrote:
I’ve said farewell to our 2006 T30 xtrail after 2 years and 29k miles but keep fond memories of the times together. Rather than just ‘disappear’ I wanted to say a big thank you to all of you who make this place possible. The shared knowledge has been invaluable and is much appreciated.

Looking back, the xtrail has been very enjoyable and did everything asked of it. Each day it absorbed several miles of bumpy single-track lanes just to reach 'civilisation'. It did all the usual stuff of school bus stop runs and family holidays, then also pushed trailer loads of logs up grassy slopes and towed a boat to events around the UK over winter and summer. It's worked and been a good all-rounder!

I fed the xtrail with lovely ‘BP Ultimate’ diesel and in return [I like to think] it worked without breakdown! To be fair my hands did get dirty aplenty with the usual service items. Plus, the ‘keeping an older vehicle working’ stuff, such as the exhaust, cracked fuel hose, washer pumps, some bushes, oil sump pan and tailgate harness (see here). I also replaced a bunch of engine sensors as prevention, added a trailer relay, upgraded the stereo, fitted decent Osram bulbs for comfort.

One of the reasons I bought the T30 was that it has a manual lockable centre differential, and this worked great with a new set of [quiet!] Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV tyres. Together these really impressed, quite a few times, most memorably while ascending some icy hills last winter by controlling power to keep both traction with some momentum (the challenge was getting around the spun-out and abandoned vehicles!).

However, recent family and lifestyle changes mean journeys are now fewer, shorter, with less passengers and infrequent towing. Also, there was a whole new choir of noises assembling under the vehicle, including a wishbone ball, roll bar bush and steering rod end… Then the heavy clutch was starting to hurt my back in stop-start traffic… and don’t mention the worrying high bite point on the clutch! Fortunately, for the first time, I just happened to be able to afford a new modestly priced SUV so the xtrail has been traded-in for something a little smaller and younger.absolutely

Choosing the replacement took me absolutely ages and I nearly gave up trying to find a vehicle that met my wish list of features: shorter, reliable, without a track record of issues, petrol engine, auto-box (must be torque converter type), raised seating position, prefer some form of four-wheel drive, obviously manual lock diff is even better, and of course affordable-ish! In the end I found the answer but that would be going off topic...

So, a big thank you to all at this fantastic forum!
How kind .Yes they are a good bunch.Best Wishes to you and your Family.Regards Barry

Post subject: Re: Farewell and thank you
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:49 am 
Site Admin

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.2 Di Sport(T30 - YD22ETI) Trans MT.F6
Year/Plate: Dec 51
Colour: Red AX6
Thank you Yetty good luck with your new purchase.

Best wishes
Umbongo :smile: :thumbs: