All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 5w30 engine oil
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:48 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-trail 2.2
Model: Diesel DCi T-Spec
Year/Plate: 2005
Colour: Silver
Is it still ok to use 5w30 oil in a xtrail that has done 185 thousand miles.Garage suggested a thicker one.What say you.Regards Baz

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Re: 5w30 engine oil
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:22 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail (Jeeves)
Model: T30 22YD ETI DDT DI SE+
Year/Plate: 2003
Colour: silver
Mods: Duplex chain upgrade, EGR valve blanked off EGR allso set to off or ignore via ECU.
hi baz i would say thicker oil theoreticlly would make things less noisey but on a diesel? noise anyway, second if the engine is worn then its natural to assume outher parts are worn to i.e the oil pump and assotiated bits surly they would work harder? and my last consern the turbo oil fed thicker oil moves slower maybe, its all probably nothing to worry about as most damage is caused on start up why not try one of thoes fancey magnatec oils? or make sure everythings nicely wormed up before moving off helping with a few revs dont go over 3 thousand rpm.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:29 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T30
Year/Plate: 56
Usually, the first effect of excessive wear that you'd notice, might be the oil pressure light taking a bit longer to go out - or maybe flickering on a bit at idle after the engine has been working hard (e.g. a fast run on the motorway and then idling at the top of a sliproad). If none of that is happening, there's no particular reason (in my opinion!) to move to a thicker oil.

However, plenty on here use 5W40 oil (myself included) and reckon it makes the diesel engine just that bit less harsh and rattly. The penalty is higher fuel consumption, but I doubt it would be measurable - it hasn't been for us! Certainly, 5W40 will do it no harm at that mileage.

The only thing I WOULDN'T do, is change the first number (the cold viscosity). Don't go to a 10, stick with the 5. You want the oil as thin as possible at cold start, to get round the bearings (especially the turbo) quickly.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:44 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail (Jeeves)
Model: T30 22YD ETI DDT DI SE+
Year/Plate: 2003
Colour: silver
Mods: Duplex chain upgrade, EGR valve blanked off EGR allso set to off or ignore via ECU.
Avocet speaks wise words and the outher number refers to the high end thickness, this oil nissan specifide for use in countrys of a much higher average temprature than ours.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:14 am 
Xtrail Nut

pete-H wrote:
hi baz i would say thicker oil theoreticlly would make things less noisey but on a diesel? noise anyway, second if the engine is worn then its natural to assume outher parts are worn to i.e the oil pump and assotiated bits surly they would work harder? and my last consern the turbo oil fed thicker oil moves slower maybe, its all probably nothing to worry about as most damage is caused on start up why not try one of thoes fancey magnatec oils? or make sure everythings nicely wormed up before moving off helping with a few revs dont go over 3 thousand rpm.
Pete .Thanks for the good info .I already use Magnatec.So i think i will stick to what i am using Regards Barry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:18 am 
Xtrail Nut

Avocet wrote:
Usually, the first effect of excessive wear that you'd notice, might be the oil pressure light taking a bit longer to go out - or maybe flickering on a bit at idle after the engine has been working hard (e.g. a fast run on the motorway and then idling at the top of a sliproad). If none of that is happening, there's no particular reason (in my opinion!) to move to a thicker oil.

However, plenty on here use 5W40 oil (myself included) and reckon it makes the diesel engine just that bit less harsh and rattly. The penalty is higher fuel consumption, but I doubt it would be measurable - it hasn't been for us! Certainly, 5W40 will do it no harm at that mileage.

The only thing I WOULDN'T do, is change the first number (the cold viscosity). Don't go to a 10, stick with the 5. You want the oil as thin as possible at cold start, to get round the bearings (especially the turbo) quickly.
Thank you for the reply. I will do as you suggest and when i change the oil again soon i will try Magnatec 5w40 Regards Barry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:30 am 
Site Admin

Model: 2.2 Di Sport(T30 - YD22ETI) Trans MT.F6
Year/Plate: Dec 51
Colour: Red AX6
Hi Barry,
I have been using this for the last five years I did used to use Comma oil 5w-40s but have been happy with Fuchs-5W-40-Titan-SuperSyn-Fully-Synthetic
:thumbs:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuchs-5W-40- ... 41f0dc90ec

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:44 am 
Xtrail Nut

Umbongo wrote:
Hi Barry,
I have been using this for the last five years I did used to use Comma oil 5w-40s but have been happy with Fuchs-5W-40-Titan-SuperSyn-Fully-Synthetic
:thumbs:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuchs-5W-40- ... 41f0dc90ec
Thank you for the advice.I have seen the Comma and Titan ,i will try one of these Regards Barry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:02 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 2.2 DCi Columbia
Year/Plate: 2006 '06
Mods: LED Sidelight bulbs!
Just to add to the confusion!

https://www.mobil1.co.uk/which-syntheti ... EcVvAx&p=2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:41 pm 
Xtrail Nut

rufusbarry wrote:
Is it still ok to use 5w30 oil in a xtrail that has done 185 thousand miles.Garage suggested a thicker one.What say you.Regards Baz
PS Is all 5w30 C4 Oil good for our Xtrails.Baz