Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Nearside Auto Driveshaft

6K views 25 replies 2 participants last post by  houndy 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between MT and A/T nearside driveshafts for a T30 2.5 petrol Auto? Looking at the workshop manual, it appears to only list one nearside driveshaft
ZF100SS86

Looking online for a replacement nobody appears to list an Auto version; just want to be sure that I get the right part. If you happen to know the spline count inner & outer that would be useful too **if there is a difference**

Also - replacing it, do I need a protector for the diff seal as listed in the manual - haven't been able to find such a thing, so where to get one? It doesn't say, but will I need to drain & replace the AT fluid.

Any other hints / tips / gotchas to be aware of please?

Cheers guys.
M

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Colster,
thanks for your reply - you say there are different part numbers - can you point me in the right direction for these please? As noted in my post the service manual doesn't differentiate at the driveshaft section between M/T and A/T, listing only one part number ZF100SS86 for the nearside shaft.

On fleabay there's a ropey-looking driveshaft listed as being from a 2.5 petrol auto and makes clear that there are 29 splines on either end but doesn't give the length overall or ABS ring count.

I have also also found new NSF driveshafts for 2.5 petrol manual that also states 29 splines each end and 44 on the ABS ring, with an overall length of 620mm -

[Description : DRIVE SHAFT AXLE FITS FOR NISSAN X-TRAIL T30 2.0 2.2 2.5 Di dCi 2001-2013 LEFT].

NISSAN X-TRAIL (T30) 2.5 4x4
Transmission Type Manual Transmission
Model year to 200712
Fitting Position Front Axle Left
02.09 - 13.01 121kW 165HP 2488cc Closed Off-Road Vehicle

Manufacturer OE number Reference information
NISSAN 391018H710

If it was a simple job that I'd done before, I'd pull the shaft & measure it, but need the car functional for as long as possible & don't want to mess with the diff seal any more than I need to.

Speaking of which - any ideas about the diff seal protector I mentioned? Is such a thing needed?

Thanks again,
M

#5 ·
391018H315 is the part number of the automatic transmission driveshaft. The ZF number is not a Nissan part number. The part number quoted on ebay is for manual transmission according to part number.

The catologue doesn't give any information relating to number of splines or length etc.

What is wrong wirh your shaft?

#6 ·
Many thanks Colster.

Strange that the manual doesn't mention/have separate section for MT / AT, which is why I was making sure there was a difference! Now need to find one :-(

The driveshaft is the only thing left, save an invisible engine mounting crack, that the noise I'm getting can be - pls see my thread on 'Metallic Clunk on right turn' for details!

Noises I'm getting aren't pops or clicks, more like a judder around 20mph accelerating and sometimes on deceleration. Rotational whine on full right lock. Boots look to be in good order.

Happy to entertain other suggestions, just want to fix it if it's worth it.

Thanks again,
M

#8 ·
Thanks again Colster,

Yes, I saw Cagey's fantastic how-to for the RH driveshaft.

I just don't know where to get the CV joint kits and, not knowing what comes in them, whether the Tulips on mine were knackered or not etc... also, if you're doing the inner one, you may as well do the outer one at the same time. Do you know is it a full boot/bands/grease/spider/rollers & bearings/ circlip kit?

If you have part numbers or links to the replacement kits that would be brilliant: I reckon I could manage the replacement alright, it's just knowing the right bits to order, and as a new manual-driveshaft as mentioned above was quoted at only £85, I hoped to get the correct auto-driveshaft for something similar.

Again, whether there is any difference between the MT and AT replacement parts is the question!

Much appreciated,
M

#11 ·
Thanks again.

Really appreciate you help - this is doing my scone in!

Still raises the question of difference between the MT and AT: as I'd need to replace the outer (wheel side) joint while I have it out, I looked up the kit for it and as is the case for the inner kit you linked to, they both list the MT 391018H710
and AT 391018H315 part numbers as compatible:

Wheel side:
NISSAN X-TRAIL (T30) 2.5 4x4 09.02 - 01.13 121 165 2488 Fitting Position: Wheel Side
NISSAN X-TRAIL (T30) 2.5 4x4 11.02 - 01.13 132 179 2488 Fitting Position: Front Axle
Fitting Position: Wheel Side
Corresponding OE Number(s)
NISSAN: 391002Y175NISSAN: 391008H315NISSAN: 391008H615NISSAN: 391009H610NISSAN: 391012Y070NISSAN: 391012Y175NISSAN: 391012Y176NISSAN: 391018H315NISSAN: 391018H710NISSAN: 391018H810NISSAN: 392112Y070

Inner:

Item specifics
Condition: New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is ... Read more Brand: FEBEST
Other Part Number: FEB0211T30LH Manufacturer: FEBEST
Part Manufacturer: FEBEST Manufacturer Part Number: 0211-T30LH
Reference OE/OEM Number: FEBEST : 0211T30LH, ASVA : NSIL-XT, DYNAMATRIX : DCV841037, DYNAMATRIX : DCV841185, LYNXauto : CI-3733, NISSAN : 39101-8H315, NISSAN : 39101-8H710, ASVA : NSILXT, LYNXauto : CI3733, NISSAN : 391018H315, NISSAN : 391018H710

What's the betting the connecting shaft with the balance weight is a different length? Have had a look but not yet found that part :headbang:

Crazy that there is no listing for an auto shaft on that part number, just joint kits. Aaaaargh

Cheers,
M

#14 ·
If that is the case, then could I buy a full manual driveshaft for a 2.2dci & compare it against mine & if the shaft length is different I could swap the new joints off the full replacement driveshaft onto my connecting shaft & cabletie the boots on?
That assumes of course that the internal teething is the same on both MT & AT...

Not a noble course of action, but selling a driveshaft for a car that does actually exist would be far more noble.

Do you have those part numbers please - I can't find any such part yet, never mind the number!

Cheers,
M

#16 ·
Thanks Colster - I guess you have full database access to Nissan Parts list!

The only other thing is the connecting shaft - that could be a different length. It evidently has 25 teeth on 1 end and 26 on the other to ensure correct fitment I suppose, but I don't suppose you could tease out a part number for that too :whistle:

Really appreciate your help & will give Lee Jones (that you advised on) a call tomorrow & see if I can get this sorted :roll:

Cheers,
M

#17 ·
Shaft isn't available on it's own. Parts catalogue is online at Partsouq.com. Takes some getting used to though. As the inner and outer joints are the same on both shafts, inner splines must be too! I'm beginning to think the damper is the only difference now. Lee will know.

#20 ·
Tried to speak to Lee Jones as recommended and was met by a female gatekeeper who said he was only dealing with people by email & asked if she could help. I explained briefly what I was looking for & she immediately said we don't do a driveshaft for that (my) model. We don't do it: I can't help.
I said "Is that it?". She repeated that they don't make one; we just don't. Bye.

Thanks mrs, or should it be ms/miss/mz/ze/fi/fi/fo/fum ???... customer service at it's best. not.

Unfortunately I have a ton of other stuff to get done, so must postpone search til I get some time. Really shouldn't be this bloomin hard though, should it? I mean there used to be loads of 2.5 petrol autos around, so someone somewhere must make the damn thing without demanding a full complement of extremities in exchange - which would rather render the exchange superfluous!

hey ho,
M

#21 ·
I was being a little unfair to the lady at J&R. The issue is doing my head in so a flat 'we don't do it' riled me a bit.

Anyways, I called back and spoke with her again annd explained my Triggers Broom approach to the issue as a solution. She said email Lee with the details, so we're going through an email exchange on the topic. Hopefully will get to a positive conclusion :confused:

M

#23 ·
Agreed Colster.
From our discussion on this, J&R do a full front left driveshaft for a 2.2 dCi manual, which we have concluded has the same inner and outer joints as the auto, leaving the connecting shaft as the only possible different bit.

Plan seems to be,

* buy one of these plus a spare boot-pair kit from J&R
* pull my drive out & compare for length. If the same, chance fitting it right in, as-is.
* if there is a length difference, pull the joints off the new shaft & replace the worn ones on my driveshaft & apply new boot kits

should be job done - so long as the RH driveshaft isn't also goosed and actually causing the noise. Doubtful as it connects via an additional flanged drive, so the noise would surely come from the RHS of the car.
Any other thoughts anyone?
Cheers,
M

Attachments

#25 ·
Finally found a definitive answer: the AT driveshaft is longer at 645mm vs either 619 or 620 for the various MT driveshafts. Not that it helps as it is out of stock with the one site that listed it - at a whopping £140.

So, stick with the plan for Triggers Broom option & throw in a new damper kit, if such a beast could be tracked down. No luck there either yet :headbang:
Cheers,
M

Attachments

#26 ·
Ha, the answer is less definitive than I thought.

The length difference might not just be in the shaft (fnar fnar). The Febest part as listed as compatible with the OE-39101-8H315 driveshaft shows as being 177mm in length; the only other compatible and cheaper parts - one a Pascal G71008PC lists at 162.5mm in length and the other a JPL part that doesn't give an overall length, but has a part number that is compatible.

mas-motorstore in Lituania is the source for both of these parts. I messaged them to ask and am waiting a reply.

J&R Trading were no help whatsoever so I definitely won't recommend them - perhaps they saw my comment on here and got the hump. Cheers Stace.

I'm sure you're bored with this thread, I am, but someone out there will also have an Auto and will be hopefully spared this pain.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.