Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

do we or don't we LPG our X-trail???

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  wylieeeeeeeee 
#1 ·
Right lads and ladies.
I have a 2002 xtrail 2.0 sport with 85,500. When we bought it in October 2012 it have 74,000, ive had the head gasket(head skimmed also) & timing chain replaced at a cost of £850 inc fitting.

The wife is driving 40 miles a day 6 days a week to work plus my sons rugby coaching/training sessions costing us about £250 a month in petrol. What im asking is should i get LPG fitted or do i cut my losses and sell it on and get a smaller car.

The reason we bought it was to tow our caravan which has been out twice since Halloween 2012 and a trip planned to Holland in August this yr. We are selling the caravan due to it not having much use but we are undecided on what to do!!

The lpg conversion will cost £1500 inc vat/flashlube plus the purchase price and head repaired the car will owe us around £5000

Any advise will be taken on board and if needs must it may well be sold :eek:(.

#2 ·
To be brutally honest mate. The 2.0L and 2.5L petrol engines Nissan use in the T30 are not good for LPG. They have quite soft valves and as a result suffer from burnt valves quite quickly. I had a 2.5 LPG conversion and i even fitted a flashlube kit to it and the valves still went in under 50K.
If you are seriously looking at LPG then there are two musts.
1. fit an electronic flash lube kit.
2. have the valves replaced with specially hardened valves to help withstand the valve burn issues.
IF you are getting rid of the caravan and don't really have a use for the 4x4 any more then i'd look at getting a different vehicle. Or if you (like me) really love your XT then maybe look at part exing it against a diesel version.

#4 ·
I bought my 2.5 with the intention of going LPG but research led me to conclude it a bad idea... hence my current venture with a 3.7 jeep cherokee I'm picking up tomorrow. Conversion booked monday week. It beat the diesel X'y option when I heard the 3.7 V6 growl! I'll be passing my SVE and it's soft valves on in the next few weeks..... :gathering:

#5 ·
Rough estimate is that you'd save 33.3% on your fuel bill using LPG. But at 1500 conversion costs (taking into account the rising cost of fuel) you'd be looking at some 25 to 30,000 miles before the conversion cost had been recouped in cost savings. So well over 100K miles on your car. If you had a car with 20,000 on it then I'd say go for it, but in your circumstances ..don't do it. And I love LPG but it's not for everyone.

Second do you ever take your car through the Chunnel? Not with LPG you don't.
Do you have a source of LPG local to you? Cos if you have to travel to fill up - your not saving much.
Do you do lots of short trips only doing long trips occasionally? Cos then you'll be on petrol mostly anyway.
Finally you need to have the LPG system serviced annually or 12,500 miles. So factor that into your figures (mine just cost me £60 s/b 85 but the guys a friend). It can save you shedloads but you need to do the figures. Good to see you realise about flashlube...done some research there.

Best of luck.

#6 ·
cheers people.
some answers to your questions/remarks.

1. do i wont use the channel tunnel
2. we have 3 lpg filling station within 5 miles and 2 at 13 miles away
3. long trips usually occasionally around town(not many gear changes)
4. lpg servicing not a problem nr me
5. soft valves even with flashlube is still a concern

Think we have made up our minds and will sell. :sad:
We love the car drives spot on with nothing serious to worry about but we wont need the big car once caravan is sold. :bigcry:

Many thanks people.ill post it up here on our return from our trip to the netherlands end of August :sad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.