All times are UTC [ DST ]

My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Tip when fitting replacement head unit
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:33 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Subaru
Model: Forester XT
Colour: Silver
Had a new Alpine head unit fitted by my local car audio shop. Collected the car and was shocked at the gap between the top of the unit and the fascia panel slot. Chap said the X Trail Din slot is not standard so the trim piece that should clip around the removable face won't go on, "it's too long and too high -sorry". Got home and thought this really looks naff. Looked at the trim and thought it can be done, so cut the bottom out, leaving sides at full size, then trimmed approx. 3mm off each end, filed off the top by about 2mm or so and rounded off all the corners to match slot shape and in it went - gap filled and looks great. Hope this makes sense? The Alpine unit is bluetooth and comes with a mic - it's fitted at top of windscreen behind the mirror) so have hands free phone working through car speakers. Ipod is plugged into rear of unit (also charges it) rather than the front so no messy plugs or cables hanging around and the cable is routed into the central armrest box. Next job is to replace the speakers as don't find them too good - a bit hollow sounding even with the dash tweeters as they lack mid-range, more noticable with speech but not too clever with music either! Any tips or advice for speaker choice would be greatly received, would be changing fronts and rears but not a sub woofer.
Pics show the unit fitted plus the Ipod in centre box - roughly lined this with rubber but will be re-doing more neatly later!
Have also shown pic of dashboard storage box - lined in felt to stop things rolling around - done same in glovebox but too dark to show in a photo - hope this helps someone?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Vandy on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Re: Tip when fitting replacement head unit - more pictures
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:07 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Pics missing from last post.

First pic shows standard stereo fit - not very good fit actually - gaps all around.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Vandy on Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Re: Tip when fitting replacement head unit - last pic
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:08 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Dash storage box lined with felt

Post subject: Re: Tip when fitting replacement head unit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:56 am 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T30 2.2 Manual DI Sport X
Year/Plate: 2003
im liking the dash box lined with felt looks cool

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:54 am 
Xtrail Nut

Thanks Cliffy - forgot to say that I've done the same in the glovebox and centre cubby hole (above the ashtray) A fiddle to get in there and fix but does stop things knocking around against the plastic. Also fitted a small "stop bar" at the base/front of it to stop things flying out (if the roller doors are open) when you accelerate - maybe this was just me but always seemed to be looking for packets of extra strong mints under the seats! Will be making a better job of the ipod box as had to rip some off when it was fitted - cover over ipod means I can still keep a bottle of water in there and not worry flooding the ipod!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:46 pm 
Soft Roader

Cheers for the helpful advice and info, I am not a fan of the standard single CD head unit either which came in my 04 SE, luckily I have got a Ripspeed Ipod headunit to put in. I had it in my Land Rover and it was great to be able to dock the Ipod. Good tip re putting the ipod lead in the centre console I was going to put it into the pull down door type storage box which is directly below my CD player, I think it will be better where you put yours.

Glad you mentioned about the outer trim peice as I just assumed the din slots were all the same size.

I don't suppose you know how to remove the main silver dash trim cover do you so I can gain access to change the headunit over?

Also does anyone know if an X trail uses a standard ISO connector or will I need to buy an adapter?

Finally I also would like to change the door speakers as I would like something better, do the grills come off without having to remove the door trims? Does anyone know what size the standard speakers are so I buy the correct ones?

I am pretty handy at fitting ICE from my younger car owning years before they all started coming with integrated dash systems and other none standard units so it will be nice to get my hands dirty again so to speak

Cheers
Simon

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:18 am 
Xtrail Nut

The silver dash trim just pulls off. Grip the base of it and gently pull - there are no screws/bolts, etc, - it just pulls off. I had a iso watsit foo-foo fitted so have steering wheel controls working with this unit. As for speakers, in same position as you - want to upgrade but not sure what to use. I've seen an the Australian site that the speakers are an integral part of the housing (grill is on door card - not removable) and a couple of guys there have made MDF spacer rings to house the speakers - think they are 165mm jobbies front and rear. I will be poking around mine and see what I can come up with - will keep you informed of progress. I have a couple of 125mm 2 way speakers that I may fit onto MDF and fit these - know they are smaller but the extra soundboard from the MDF may help with mid range - there again, may be talking rubbish!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:47 pm 
Soft Roader

Thanks for the info yes please if you can let me know what you find regarding the speakers that will be a great help

cheers
simon

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:11 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Hi Saxosim - have a look at the post from Cliffy (changing stock speakers) - he's showing the Australian link I mentioned re: speaker mounts - good pics and shows exactly what's in there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:34 pm 

Hi Vandy

Have to say that looks like a graet job!

What is the model number of the Alpine unit as I would like to change mine and the spec of your unit sounds just the ticket.

Cheers :thumbs: