All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Head Unit upgrade and removal of 6 CD changer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:51 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.0L SE+ Auto
Year/Plate: 2002
Colour: Metallic Green
Mods: HID bi-xenon 6000k head lights, Front wind deflectors, Rear chrome corner bars, Handle under boot shelf, Goodyear Wrangler A/W tyres, Aero wipers, Reverse parking camera and sensors, N501 Double din Head Unit with SAT NAV, DVD, DVBT, etc.
Hello fellow X-trail enthusiasts!

I will be fitting a new double din head unit (from China... yeah, I'm a cheapskate! :oops: :roll: ) in place of my factory fitted, single din, radio cassette. (My X-trail is the 2002 SE+ model with the drinks/can coolers either side and a cubby hole with spring flap positioned under the stereo with a separate 6 cd changer located below the climate control). I want to remove the 6 cd changer and fit a single din pocket... has anyone done this? Can the pocket that exists under the radio cassette be relocated to replace the cd changer? Do I have to get a universal pocket?

Secondly, the new head unit, here if you'd like to see it although I didn't buy it from Oz, (http://www.autogps.com.au/Nissan_more.aspx) comes with the steering can-bus pre-installed inside the head unit, with a single wire on the ISO plug loom claiming to be "steering wheel control"... How does this connect to the existing controls... I mean, which wire is it supposed to splice into, as the radio at the moment has a separate plug dedicated to the steering controls with multiple wires??? The answer to this may well be in the manual when I get to see it within the next week or so :idea: ... but I thought I'd throw the feelers out just in case someone has already done a similar upgrade and had the same dilemma.

P.S. note to moderators... please feel free to re-direct me to the correct thread if I'm starting something already covered in previous threads... I have searched the forum looking for answers already and I notice talk of removing or just leaving the 6 cd changer in place but not an actual ideal single din pocket replacement.

Incidentally, I will be selling the radio (will need to be decoded at nissan as it's encoded at the mo to mine) and the 6 cd changer CHEAP... both in excellent A1 Mint condition (no scratches or marks and in full working order... like new!) message me if interested!

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Head Unit upgrade and removal of 6 CD changer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:05 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: X-trail
Model: 2.5 Columbia - 'Travis'
Year/Plate: 56
Colour: Black
Mods: Autogas LPG conversion & Flashlube. Kenwood KDC4547UW, 225/65x17s, Oil catch can
Hi

The single wire will connect into the ISO adapter you'll need to buy, which connects the double DIN unit into the Nissan Wiring loom.
You can get the relevant connector from here http://www.incartec.co.uk/, and from what you say you won't bneed the stalk adapater.
(unless i'm reading this wrong)

EDIT: I think I am reading it wrong........
Now i've just gone a confused myself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:02 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Mods: HID bi-xenon 6000k head lights, Front wind deflectors, Rear chrome corner bars, Handle under boot shelf, Goodyear Wrangler A/W tyres, Aero wipers, Reverse parking camera and sensors, N501 Double din Head Unit with SAT NAV, DVD, DVBT, etc.
Hi mrew42,

Thanks for your reply... although I'm a bit confused now too!!! Maybe it's me not being clear?

I have already purchased an ISO adapter which is compatible with my '02 X-trail. One end plugs into the new head unit via two 8-pin connector blocks. One of these 8-pin blocks is for the speaker wires, (front & rear, left & right, + & - to each), the other 8-pin block is for battery power, (+ & -), ignition, Illumination and power antenna, only 5 of the 8-pins used. These are all nicely labelled via print down each wire.

At the opposite end of the ISO adapter is a white 18-pin connector block, (13 of the 18 pins used) which connects to the X-trail's existing 18-pin connector block. I then have 2 more white blocks at the back of the stereo in the X-trail... 1 for the steering wheel controls and the other for connection to the 6 cd changer. I will obviously not be using the cd changer block any more (so we can forget that) but I would like to use the steering wheel controls. This block has multiple wires, (I haven't counted how many there are) and it's this block that must contain a wire, which I have to connect to the single wire in the other RCA loom from the new head unit. I believe there is a feature on the new head unit where you teach the head unit the steering wheel controls by selecting an option (volume up for example) which you select on the head unit and then and you press your "volume up" on the steering wheel controls so it knows that ths is the correct signal... am I making any sense?

This -of course- may not be as simple as this as the individual wires in the X-trails block probably send individual signals for each button pushed on the steering wheel controls. And this is what I am trying to find out I suppose... is there a single signal wire or not?

Sorry to waffle on... hope to have somebody tell me soon... any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:29 pm 
Xtrail Nut

OK, Have spoken to a ICE installer about this and now have the answer. Apparently there are 3 wires in the steering wheel control block; a ground/earth, an REM A and an REM B. He suggest testing the steering wheel control wire against REM A and REM B as one will definitely work... halleluiah! I even have a diagram... SHIMPLES! :thumbs:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:02 pm 
Soft Roader

Model: T30 SVE
Year/Plate: 2004
hi shaymeboy

let us know how you get on as i am thinking of doing the same :bow:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:18 am 
Xtrail Nut

Hi bigtankuk,

Will do... I'll endeavour to post some pics of the upgrade from start through to finish for anyone else that needs to know how to go about it on my type of T30, as all the posts I find for HU removal or upgrade are for the other type - with the longer dash facia.

Shay ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:18 am 
Soft Roader

Model: 2003 SVE
Mods: Window Tints
Yeah, keep the info/pics coming. I've the same type dash as you and would deffo be interested to see how you progress.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:58 pm 
Xtrail Nut

OK, Parking sensor mod and head unit upgrade done... also upgraded front door speakers with INFINITY REF 6532I 6.5 INCH/17CM 180 WATT CAR SPEAKERS, (sorry about caps, copied from source, couldn't be bothered to retype it out), over all, a doddle to fit!... pics to follow soon.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:38 pm 
Soft Roader

Model: Di Sport
Year/Plate: 2003/53
Mods: PCV catch tank, EGR delete, Decat, F+R park assist, Reverse cam, DVD/satnav, Custom Underseat Subs, 4300k BiXenons, Components, 2x hidden amps, Lots of Dynamat, LED sidelights & numberplate lights, Almera gearknob, Window tints
I dont know if its too late, but yes that wee sorrage bin can be relocated to where the cd player was.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:52 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Wow, you must be psychic... that's exactly what I've done and drilled a hole in the back of the storage cubby for the iPhone/iPod cable... nice job!!! :biggrin: