Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Head Unit upgrade and removal of 6 CD changer

78K views 53 replies 19 participants last post by  alisonedwards098 
#1 ·
Hello fellow X-trail enthusiasts!

I will be fitting a new double din head unit (from China... yeah, I'm a cheapskate! :oops: :roll: ) in place of my factory fitted, single din, radio cassette. (My X-trail is the 2002 SE+ model with the drinks/can coolers either side and a cubby hole with spring flap positioned under the stereo with a separate 6 cd changer located below the climate control). I want to remove the 6 cd changer and fit a single din pocket... has anyone done this? Can the pocket that exists under the radio cassette be relocated to replace the cd changer? Do I have to get a universal pocket?

Secondly, the new head unit, here if you'd like to see it although I didn't buy it from Oz, (http://www.autogps.com.au/Nissan_more.aspx) comes with the steering can-bus pre-installed inside the head unit, with a single wire on the ISO plug loom claiming to be "steering wheel control"... How does this connect to the existing controls... I mean, which wire is it supposed to splice into, as the radio at the moment has a separate plug dedicated to the steering controls with multiple wires??? The answer to this may well be in the manual when I get to see it within the next week or so :idea: ... but I thought I'd throw the feelers out just in case someone has already done a similar upgrade and had the same dilemma.

P.S. note to moderators... please feel free to re-direct me to the correct thread if I'm starting something already covered in previous threads... I have searched the forum looking for answers already and I notice talk of removing or just leaving the 6 cd changer in place but not an actual ideal single din pocket replacement.

Incidentally, I will be selling the radio (will need to be decoded at nissan as it's encoded at the mo to mine) and the 6 cd changer CHEAP... both in excellent A1 Mint condition (no scratches or marks and in full working order... like new!) message me if interested!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi

The single wire will connect into the ISO adapter you'll need to buy, which connects the double DIN unit into the Nissan Wiring loom.
You can get the relevant connector from here http://www.incartec.co.uk/, and from what you say you won't bneed the stalk adapater.
(unless i'm reading this wrong)

EDIT: I think I am reading it wrong........
Now i've just gone a confused myself.

#3 ·
Hi mrew42,

Thanks for your reply... although I'm a bit confused now too!!! Maybe it's me not being clear?

I have already purchased an ISO adapter which is compatible with my '02 X-trail. One end plugs into the new head unit via two 8-pin connector blocks. One of these 8-pin blocks is for the speaker wires, (front & rear, left & right, + & - to each), the other 8-pin block is for battery power, (+ & -), ignition, Illumination and power antenna, only 5 of the 8-pins used. These are all nicely labelled via print down each wire.

At the opposite end of the ISO adapter is a white 18-pin connector block, (13 of the 18 pins used) which connects to the X-trail's existing 18-pin connector block. I then have 2 more white blocks at the back of the stereo in the X-trail... 1 for the steering wheel controls and the other for connection to the 6 cd changer. I will obviously not be using the cd changer block any more (so we can forget that) but I would like to use the steering wheel controls. This block has multiple wires, (I haven't counted how many there are) and it's this block that must contain a wire, which I have to connect to the single wire in the other RCA loom from the new head unit. I believe there is a feature on the new head unit where you teach the head unit the steering wheel controls by selecting an option (volume up for example) which you select on the head unit and then and you press your "volume up" on the steering wheel controls so it knows that ths is the correct signal... am I making any sense?

This -of course- may not be as simple as this as the individual wires in the X-trails block probably send individual signals for each button pushed on the steering wheel controls. And this is what I am trying to find out I suppose... is there a single signal wire or not?

Sorry to waffle on... hope to have somebody tell me soon... any help would be appreciated.

#4 ·
OK, Have spoken to a ICE installer about this and now have the answer. Apparently there are 3 wires in the steering wheel control block; a ground/earth, an REM A and an REM B. He suggest testing the steering wheel control wire against REM A and REM B as one will definitely work... halleluiah! I even have a diagram... SHIMPLES! :thumbs:

Attachments

#6 ·
Hi bigtankuk,

Will do... I'll endeavour to post some pics of the upgrade from start through to finish for anyone else that needs to know how to go about it on my type of T30, as all the posts I find for HU removal or upgrade are for the other type - with the longer dash facia.

Shay ;-)

#8 ·
OK, Parking sensor mod and head unit upgrade done... also upgraded front door speakers with INFINITY REF 6532I 6.5 INCH/17CM 180 WATT CAR SPEAKERS, (sorry about caps, copied from source, couldn't be bothered to retype it out), over all, a doddle to fit!... pics to follow soon.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK, As promised, I have some pics (not a lot unfortunately) of the install.

Shays Exy mounting bracket shot 001.jpg

This pic was taken after I had already relocated the pocket that used to be under the radio-cassette down in place of the removed 6 cd changer. You'll notice the bracket (just below and to the left of the radio) which originally held the pocket in place and was currently holding the radio in place. These brackets can be reused to hold you new single or double din audio in place. The space left after removing both the pocket and radio is 178mm x 105mm, (178mm width is the maximum... my double din unit was 178mm x 100mm, a pretty standard size it seems).

Shays Exy 10mm bolt 015.jpg

You have to remove the radio surround (including the vents) by unscrewing a 10mm bolt located in the left drinks cooler.

Shays Exy dash out shott 001.jpg

You'll then need to pull the dash forward along the top edge of the zinc coloured surround, a flat head screwdriver gently inserted and carefully separating it from the grey dash works best... it's not that difficult.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Shays Exy Cam and DDin 011.jpg

Ok, here is the installed Double din unit with the car in reverse showing the picture and the reverse parking unit activated. The reverse parking unit has a little motor in there which rotates up to view the LCD when reverse is selected (and then rotates back down flat when out of reverse) and the head unit switches to the reverse camera.

Shays Exy AC and flap 017.jpg

Here is the pocket with flap, now relocated to under the AC.

Shays Exy side shot 001.jpg

And here's my baby... in all her glorious Irish Green (yes I'm Irish).

Attachments

#14 ·
I must say the conversion looks fantastic. My 2001 cd changer is not working and I was thinking of doing what you have done. But I thought I would try to 'repair' the changer if poss, but i cant see how to get it out.
I have removed the 2 side covers to expose the screws but the unit is stuck fast . there must be other fixings but before i demolish the interior I thought I would 'ask the experts' :)

#15 ·
Thanks.

The 6 cd changer is fixed by just the 4 screws securing the bracket back... and a couple of locating (plastic) pins... shouldn't be stuck at all. Stick a flat head screwdriver in behind the bracket and gently twist to pry it away, it will come. Good luck with the fix. :thumbs:

#17 ·
No, you won't dislodge any connectors as they are clipped in to the back of the unit and A/C and the cables are long enough that the whole joined unit will come forward/out a good 6-8 inches from the dash. Yes the brackets hold both the CD changer and A/C unit (that's what I mean by 'joined unit')... a few more screws to undo once it's out will separate these. You can then do as I've done and relocate the flappy covered pocket from under the radio/cassette/head unit to below the air con (in place of the CD changer) as it fits - more or less - perfectly.

I bought the head unit from ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Din-DVD-GPS ... 3cb79fe2a2

They are a great company, with great communication, I can't recommend them enough. They have the unit marked up with a "buy it now" price of £299... make an offer of £250 and you'll probably end up at £260 as I did... but remember, you won't get the reversing camera if you don't pay full price... depends on whether you want it or not. You'll need to buy an ISO lead too (around £6-8 on ebay) which will convert your wiring harness/loom/connector block behind the standard Clarion radio/cassette unit to ISO (Internal Organization for Standardization - just means a standard fit for the radio space and wiring). If you do go down this road, let me know as there are one or two other small changes to do to the wiring... nothing major and easily explained.

Good Luck :thumbs:

#18 ·
hi shayme, got the player etc out of the dash ok and managed to get the changer apart (sort of) it had a cd stuck in it, but even after I had yanked it out, the player is still kapputt! there is probabley a stripped cog in there some where cos i cant see the magazine going up and down and the flap at the front slot refused to move out of the way, but everything is so small i cant be arsed to look for it. I blame it on the eminem cd choice myself,

looks like its new gadget time. Do you think a player that is 180mm wide will fit as you said that the cavity is 178mm?

les

#19 ·
Sorry, my fault... the space is 180mm wide x105mm high x175mm deep - maximum depth really, allowing for the rear cable looms from the new head unit, so it will fit... very snuggley though! :thumbs:

My Unit is 178mm w x 100mm h x 175mm d... so there is a 1mm gap either side and a 2.5mm gap top and bottom... barely noticeable really... quite a nice fit as a guide for you.

#21 ·
Hello touring2some,

This useful response was posted earlier on another thread by Umbongo, I tried ringing them today without success, but it may help your sat nav query.....

Umbongo said:
johnrimm said:
Dear All,

I have a T30 with factory fitted Sat Nav.

I found the TMC auto reroute was very useful and saved us a lengthy detour a couple of times :thumbs: . After a couple of years the TMC stopped working. I asked at the Dealer and their "fix" involved new software and an atlas update costing about £400, :( if I remember rightly.

I later bought an updated map from ebay :thumbs: , and have managed since without the TMC update.

Please forgive my ignorance... My questions are:

1. Is the TMC provided by a TMC decoder? which in my case is either faulty or out of date,
2. Does the TMC work with the radio and if so could I have inadvertently turned it off?
3. Can you buy the TMC fix if required?

Any comments please?

Best wishes, John
Hi John, the unit for the TMC is behind the sat nav unit and depending on what Navteq model you have fitted decides what firmware you need before using your new disc. I have seen a site that does the disc update that includes the TMC update, but to make sure I'd phone them first to make sure. Link below.

http://www.satnav-updates.com/index.php ... _NAV_DISCS
To answer your other question, I have always found the sat nav to be very accurate, and reliable even rerouting if you go "wrong". :biggrin: Mind you it did try to take me through a deep ford just up the road from me in Cumbria - so like all sat navs you have to be aware. :biggrin:

I hope this helps, best wishes, John

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
Copied and pasted this from a previous reply to the same question:

I've mounted mine next to the alarms flashing LED on the top part of the dash, almost where the dash meets the windscreen. Brought the wire down under the speaker cover and glove box at the back (again nearest the screen). I know most people would say that you don't - and shouldn't - mount it somewhere visible to opportunist thieves. As it is only a small 1.5" square and has no obvious writing on it, I prefererred to locate it there for best 'line of sight' with minimal obstruction. You can easily remove the speaker grill by pulling it up, then undo the few screws that hold the glove box in place which will give you good access for routing the antenna cable.

An image which might make my garble a little clearer.

Shays Exy Nav Antenna location 011.jpg

Attachments