It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Head Unit upgrade and removal of 6 CD changer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:09 pm 

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.2dci Sport
Year/Plate: 2004
Colour: Silver
shaymeboy wrote:
Copied and pasted this from a previous reply to the same question:

I've mounted mine next to the alarms flashing LED on the top part of the dash, almost where the dash meets the windscreen. Brought the wire down under the speaker cover and glove box at the back (again nearest the screen). I know most people would say that you don't - and shouldn't - mount it somewhere visible to opportunist thieves. As it is only a small 1.5" square and has no obvious writing on it, I prefererred to locate it there for best 'line of sight' with minimal obstruction. You can easily remove the speaker grill by pulling it up, then undo the few screws that hold the glove box in place which will give you good access for routing the antenna cable.

An image which might make my garble a little clearer.

Attachment:
Shays Exy Nav Antenna location 011.jpg
oooh I fancy one of those :biggrin: where/how did you fit the tv antenna ?

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:33 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 2.0L SE+ Auto
Year/Plate: 2002
Colour: Metallic Green
Mods: HID bi-xenon 6000k head lights, Front wind deflectors, Rear chrome corner bars, Handle under boot shelf, Goodyear Wrangler A/W tyres, Aero wipers, Reverse parking camera and sensors, N501 Double din Head Unit with SAT NAV, DVD, DVBT, etc.
geordie wrote:
shaymeboy wrote:
Copied and pasted this from a previous reply to the same question:

I've mounted mine next to the alarms flashing LED on the top part of the dash, almost where the dash meets the windscreen. Brought the wire down under the speaker cover and glove box at the back (again nearest the screen). I know most people would say that you don't - and shouldn't - mount it somewhere visible to opportunist thieves. As it is only a small 1.5" square and has no obvious writing on it, I prefererred to locate it there for best 'line of sight' with minimal obstruction. You can easily remove the speaker grill by pulling it up, then undo the few screws that hold the glove box in place which will give you good access for routing the antenna cable.

An image which might make my garble a little clearer.

Attachment:
Shays Exy Nav Antenna location 011.jpg
oooh I fancy one of those :biggrin: where/how did you fit the tv antenna ?

I didn't mount the TV antenna... didn't even attach it to the rear of the unit as I would never use it personally, so sorry, can't help you there :frown:

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:39 am 
Soft Roader

Model: 2.2 DCI Diesel Lux 4x4 (T30EE01)Trans. MT.F6
Year/Plate: 2003 FEB
Colour: Champagne Silver
Mods: Self Tinted windows. Front/Rear DVD players. High Pitch anti Deer whistle(2 casulties so far). Xtrons double DIN head unit, GPS/DVD/TV etc.
Hi Guys,

just a word of thanks for the inspiration, just finished this upgrade as well. Haven't hooked up the steering wheel control yet but looks pretty sweet anyways.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:14 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Mods: HID bi-xenon 6000k head lights, Front wind deflectors, Rear chrome corner bars, Handle under boot shelf, Goodyear Wrangler A/W tyres, Aero wipers, Reverse parking camera and sensors, N501 Double din Head Unit with SAT NAV, DVD, DVBT, etc.
alps_xtrail wrote:
Hi Guys,

just a word of thanks for the inspiration, just finished this upgrade as well. Haven't hooked up the steering wheel control yet but looks pretty sweet anyways.

Cheers!

Happy to inspire... post some pics so we can see the finished result :thumbs:

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:58 pm 
Soft Roader

Model: 2.2 DCI Diesel Lux 4x4 (T30EE01)Trans. MT.F6
Year/Plate: 2003 FEB
Colour: Champagne Silver
Mods: Self Tinted windows. Front/Rear DVD players. High Pitch anti Deer whistle(2 casulties so far). Xtrons double DIN head unit, GPS/DVD/TV etc.
Some pics of nearly finished job. Its a little crocked but will fix that when I wire up the steering controls. I still keep a Garmin behind the steering wheel, even though the new unit has GPS. Habit a guess. The GPS antenna for the main unit is just over the drivers storage box. I wired it up behind it.
As guys said before just cut a small hole in the storage box that was moved down over the ashtray for the ipod and usb wires.
I have a separate screen for the passenger, this was part of a normal car dvd pair unit but is now fed from the new xtrons unit. What is handy is the passengers can watch dvds, with sound and I can keep the GPS on at the same time. I have wiring under the handbrake column, for when I get a further 2 screens for behind the headrests, or just one central one on the back of the central arm rest, not decided yet.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:56 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Tidy... nice job :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:17 pm 
Off Roader

Model: 2.2 dCi SVE
Year/Plate: 2005 54
Colour: Zinc
Mods: Pioneer F930BT head unit
Hello folks this is my first post. I don't even have my X-Trail yet (tomorrow is the big day!), but I am planning my ICE revamp already. My 2005 SVE+ has a double din changer in the top of the dash so I reckon that should take a little complexity out of the process.

I am looking at one of these Chinese units on eBay, not exactly the same but awfully similar. Two questions:
* What is the audio quality like?
* How easy is it to wire up the reversing camera? (needs to be very simple - changing a head unit is just about the top end of my expertise thus far)

Brand name stuff awfully expensive, I'm looking for bluetooth phone and media streaming, and sat nav. China = £148... Pioneer/Kenwood etc. £frightening! But that said if the sound quality is poor I will spend every day hating myself for buying it.

Thanks in advance.
Ayrton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:38 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T32 1.6dci nTec 4WD 5 Seater. Previous 04 T30 dci
Year/Plate: 2014 64
Colour: Grey
Mods: Detachable Swan Neck Towbar
Hi Ayrton. Can you post a link to the unit on e bay and let us know how you get on. I am thinking of replacing mine as I am fed up of cd's playing when they feel like it.

Cheers. Martyn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:43 pm 
Off Roader

Model: 2.2 dCi SVE
Year/Plate: 2005 54
Colour: Zinc
Mods: Pioneer F930BT head unit
Here you go. I offered him £130 and he counter offered with £148, I haven't taken him up on that yet, I'm still weighing up my options.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:59 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T32 1.6dci nTec 4WD 5 Seater. Previous 04 T30 dci
Year/Plate: 2014 64
Colour: Grey
Mods: Detachable Swan Neck Towbar
Thanks for the reply Ayrton. Certainly a nice looking and feature packed piece of kit. I am OK with the mechanical side of things but electrics not one of my strong points so am wondering if all my existing plugs etc will be a straightforward fit also are they a standard size so no cutting would be involved or gaps. Hope you are happy with and enjoy your Xy. I have had mine 6 years now and am more than happy with it. Towed the van 000's of miles.

Cheers. Martyn.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next