It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Change satnav to multimedia player!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:42 pm 

Hi all!

Newbie here! I recently bought my 2005 Xtrail SVE 2.5. It has the built-in satnav which is pretty useless to me to be honest, so I'd really like to swap it out for a multimedia, touchscreen type thing and then lose the factory radio/cd player. I was thinking about something like this from ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Double-Car-Radio-Stereo-MP5-MP3-Player-2-Din-Bluetooth-FM-AUX-USB-Head-Unit/323431483090 Yes, I'm cheap, please don't judge :oops:

Has anyone done this? Any idea if that one would fit? Would I need any extra connectors/wiring? They seem to be 6.2in or 7in...which would fit?

Please forgive my stupid questions, but I'm very much an amateur at this!

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Re: Change satnav to multimedia player!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:51 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Vauxhall Antara
Model: 2.2 cdti se
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Carbon Black
Mods: None
Welcome to the house of fun :biggrin:

The facia that the sat nav fits into is not a double din, so if you want to use your existing facia then you have to hack and bodge.

Alternatively you can get a double din facia that your new unit will fit straight into. They do come up on ebay and sometimes members on here have them for sale.

You will also need some patch leads for the steering wheel controls.

If you look in the ICE section on this forum there are loads of threads on this.

Best regards
Milton :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:46 am 
Soft Roader

I changed to double din and bought a centre console from e bay rather than butcher the existing console. Also I bought an interface and patch lead which was not needed. I wired the key 1 and key 2 wires to block connector from old headunit. All working perfectly. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:29 pm 

Hi! Thanks so much for your response to my post :biggrin: So, I've managed to find a double din console facia on ebay as per your advise :thumbs: Forgive my ignorance, but what are the key 1 and 2 wires? I am a novice at this :oops: In my previous car (BMW) I did swap out the old BMW head unit for a Chinese cheapy Bluetooth thing and I just used some little wiring connectors I got from the electrical shop to join like for like and that worked fine. Sorry, I'm probably not making much sense :confused: Can I ask what you replaced the satnav with?...was it one from ebay or something more expensive? Once again, thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:49 pm 

So, I've got the other fascia :thumbs: Now to get the multimedia unit! Do you reckon this one would do the job? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Double-2-D ... 3177766471

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:59 pm 
Soft Roader

I bought an Xtrons unit with cd, sat nav, Bluetooth, dab radio, with sd card slot. Very pleased with it. Does everything I need. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:39 pm 

Cool! As I mentioned, I’m cheap lol, so I’m going for an eBay cheapy and crossing my fingers. Thinking about this, and again this might be a stupid question so forgive me, but I need to disconnect and remove the Nissan stereo and connect those wires to the new unit, do I do anything with the wires for the satnav that being removed, or just blank them off? What did you put in place of the old stereo unit? A single sin cubby hole maybe? Oh, and the dvd rom unit above the glovebox?