It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Headlights for France
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:12 pm 
Soft Roader

Hi, I have an N-tec on order and once it has been delivered (July) i will be taking it to France. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a setting in the car software to change lights for European driving?

I know you can get the deflectors but i would rather not use them as they can be a pain to take off.

to be honest over my last 3 driving holidays in france i have only every seen 1 police car and must of covered about 2000 miles in total so even if I cant change them by the software i might not bother with the deflectors

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Headlights for France
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:44 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: X-Trail T32
Model: 1.6dCi Tekna 2WD Manual 5 Seat
Year/Plate: 14/64
Colour: Gun Metallic
Mods: Detachable Towbar
The T32 does require headlight masks (not deflectors), which according to the manual are only 1" x 1.5" and should be opaque, so a bit of duct tape shouldn't be too much hassle to apply, to be legal (and considerate). I assume this is just removing the 'kick up' to the left to make the beam fully flat, hence why they're so small.

I don't know how bright the lights are on other models, but the LEDs on the Tekna are so bright that some people think they're on main beam over here - so I would definitely go to the trouble of masking mine over there, as it would very likely be picked up and be very unpopular if not dangerous!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:56 pm 

Worth checking the manual. On my 335d I don't need to adapt the lights when abroad because they are LED, much more directional.

So if you have LED you may be ok.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:36 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

I did check pretty closely and specifically expecting there might be something different for LEDs, but it doesn't seem to be the case. These LEDs do have a pronounced kick up to the left in line with the normal MOT pattern, so in my opinion would be very noticeable if driving on the right. Also the small circular mark to align the mask mentioned before, as shown in the handbook, is also visible on the lens.
I reserve the right to be wrong(!) but I'm pretty sure it's correct - a call to Nissan might result in an answer but lord knows whether it would actually be right, after hearing some of the X-Trail dealer myths on here!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:31 pm 
Soft Roader

Its a shame it is not in the software - for Example if changing Speedo over to K/PH then a slight tweek in the lights to move them Euro position. a lot of them have motors in now for Auto leveling so maybe it could be possible in the future if we are still allowed back into Europe for a holiday without paying for Visa's.

I have an Audi Q3 at the moment and after for my last service i asked the dealer about driving in France and they can adjust the headlights for me - however this means blinding everyone in the UK whilst i travel to the Ferry/Tunnel and back again - plus the extra days needed either side to book it in. so in the end i didnt bother - Plus by the time it got dark i had alrady had a few to drink so i didnt need to drive int he dark anyway - lol.

Anyway it shows that you should use the defelecter things on our Nissans according to the fitting instructions below.
http://www.motoring-into-europe.co.uk/d ... isting.pdf

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:38 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

I definitely wouldn't go to the trouble of buying a deflector kit, as it'll just say to cut them down to tiny rectangles as shown, which simply mask part of the beam rather than deflecting it.
I don't think software changes would ever be an option unless it was just to change the overall level of the pattern to a very low setting (which would be pretty useless for seeing where you're going), as I'd have thought the shape of the beam is dictated by the physical parts in the headlamp.
Attachment:
Headlights.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:42 pm 
Off Roader

Does the diagram above make sense to anyone else? I’ve confirmed it matches the manual in my own car. What I don’t get is, we drive on them left so the beams point down to the left. It would make sense for any opaque stickers to then be on the left of the lamp as you look out of the car, and the right as you face the lamps. But this diagram shows the opposite and I don’t why how that will block light in the right direction for driving on the right.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:39 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail (Jeeves)
Model: T30 22YD ETI DDT DI SE+
Year/Plate: 2003
Colour: silver
Mods: Duplex chain upgrade, EGR valve blanked off EGR allso set to off or ignore via ECU.
the beams point slightly to the right in this country by desighn so as not to dazle on coming trafic and eluminate the kerb slightly and so you will dazle on coming trafic driveing on the opposit side of the roud

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:37 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail (Jeeves)
Model: T30 22YD ETI DDT DI SE+
Year/Plate: 2003
Colour: silver
Mods: Duplex chain upgrade, EGR valve blanked off EGR allso set to off or ignore via ECU.
pete-H wrote:
the beams point slightly to the right in this country by desighn so as not to dazle on coming trafic and eluminate the kerb slightly and so you will dazle on coming trafic driveing on the opposit side of the roud

:roll: nope the left

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:29 pm 
Off Roader

Exactly. Hence my post.