It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Air con issue
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:27 am 

This happens at random after an hour of driving Air con flow stops inside the car and pipes have ice on Nissan seem to think it has to much gas has any one else experienced this?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Re: Air con issue
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:05 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: Tekna
Year/Plate: 4/2012
Colour: red
Mods: side steps, amateur radio,
just condensing, mine does it in humid air,

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:58 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-Trail of course
Model: Columbia 2.2 Oil Burner
Year/Plate: 06
Colour: Silver'ish
Mods: Dirt
Fairly normal, although it shouldnt stop working unless the its going through a de-ice cycle. Lack of air flow can cause excess icing, check the pollen filter.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:57 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: X-Trail T32
Model: 1.6dCi Tekna 2WD Manual 5 Seat
Year/Plate: 14/64
Colour: Gun Metallic
Mods: Detachable Towbar
Never experienced this - mine never shows ice to my knowledge and I leave the air con on all the time - has never stopped unless I've instructed it. (I have had an issue where it switches off when I switch off recirculate, but never on its own).
Should be a pretty easy solution if 'too much' gas, surely they should do a pump down and refill properly if in doubt.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:57 pm 

Asked the dealer to look at it under warranty they agree its not normal that all and think there is too much gas in the system from the factory so are going to check it next month.

Truck Driver its not normal for the pipes to have ice on them the point where it blocks the air flow into the cabin i have checked under the bonnet many times and there is only ever ice when i am having a issue inside the car at all other times the pipes are cold and wet but never ice or frozen at all.

also found out that this car is not filled with the normal gas thats around £50 for a air con charge its some EU rule that it was filled with a new type of Gas that cots £££ to recharge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:09 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T30
Year/Plate: 56
Colour: Silver
I'm not familiar with that car's aircon system, but most aircon systems have an "anti-icing feature". On mroe old fashioned ones, it's a simple thermostat pushed into the fins of the evaporator in the heater box. When it gets too cold, it cuts the feed to the aircon compressor clutch and when it warms up again, it allows power back to the clutch. Without such a thermostat, the condensation on the evaporator fins will freeze. as it does so, more moist air will condense on the fins. Eventually, the fins become a solid block of ice and no air will flow through them, and onwards to the vents. Park the car up and let it all melt, and it will be fine again - until it freezes up again.

To me, it looks as though your anti-icing switch / thermostat / electronic sensor or whatever it is) has failed and there's nothing to tell the compressor to cut out when it gets too cold.

I don't believe there wil lbe too much gas in the system. Not only is it a relatively new car and the system wil lbe filled at the factory (so it's unlikely to have "grown" some more!), but also, too much refrigerant tends to make the system very BAD at getting cold because there's not enough space for the compressed refrigerant to expand back into a gas again.

Yes, the "new" refrigerant is probably R 1234YF. There was a European directive mandating its use on new vehicle types a few years ago, because the older stuff (R134a) is a really bad greenhouse gas. The car industry has dragged its heels on the introduction of the new stuff because Honeywell (The company holding the patent for this refrigerant) has got the whole car industry over a barrel (at least the ones selling in the EU) as there's no other refrigerant that can meet the environmental requirements. That's why it costs £££. It also runs at about 5 times the pressure of R 134a - which could be why the dealer thinks there's too much gas in it. In fact, if they are using an aircon charging station designed for R 134a, they'll probably damage it just connecting it up to your car's aircon system!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:33 pm 

Let's hope as the dealer told me about the new gas type they have the correct machine to recharge it. You could well be right about the switch issue but why would it not do it every day?

At least I'm going to get a free recharge if it's not over filled as they think for any gas that has escaped my system in the last two years the dealer said after they have checked the gas is at the correct amount they will need to ask Nissan what is the issue if it happens again as they have no clue from there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:41 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T30
Year/Plate: 56
Colour: Silver
If it's very muggy, and not especially hot, you'll get loads of condensation, which will freeze on the pipes. If it's hot and dry, there won't be as much moisture in the air AND the heat of the incoming air might be enough to keep the evaporator from geting cold enough to freeze. Was it bad on muggy days and better on hot, dry days? Of course, it could also just be a simple intermittent fault!

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:28 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Location: The Netherlands, Maartensdijk, centre of the country
Car:: Nissan X-Trail
Model: 1.6 Tekna 2 wheel drive
Year/Plate: 2018
Colour: Dark Brown
Mods: Dark brown with broken white upholstery. Tow-hook, fire extinguisher, LED Matrix headlights, LED interior and boot-light, handmade semi leather back-seat cover (dogs), booth-liner, wind deflectors, 4 seasons tires, BOSE audio + sub-woofer, Class 3 alarm
Never heard of this... What I know is, we drove over 3 months in Australia with a six person KEA camper (Ford transit 110) with temps over 50 (!!!) degrees. The car weight almost 3 tonnes. Never had any problem with icing or whatever. Only thing we saw was a lot of water on the cabin floor (condensed water)
Drove my own car (1.6 Tekna) late 2018 in last summer. And-it-was-hot-then... No problems on the German motorways.
But: see this

https://blog.firestonecompleteautocare. ... r-cars-ac/