It is currently Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Winter wheels options
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:35 pm 

Car:: Xtrail
Model: Ntec 1.6 DIG-T 7 seat
Year/Plate: 66
Colour: Haptic Blue
Winter wheels are now fitted, looks identical to the Acenta / Visa wheels so discreet.

The local tyre shop are having some issues with the TPMS :headbang:

First the original machine wouldn't read my sensors

They have cloned my original sensors, however they don't work at all.
When the wheels were initially fitted, the Tyre Pressure displayed the normal alert message that says 'Tyre pressures will be displayed when driving' that you usually see when you first start the car. After around 10 minutes this then flips to the tyre pressure screen which shows the target pressures and 3 dashes --- for each of the tyre pressures. The orange TPMS light comes on in the left hand cluster. I've tried resetting the system a number of times but it makes no difference, the new sensors were not detected.

Following this whenever the car is started, the light in the cluster flashes for approx 1 minute then is permanently on. There seem to be no other ill effects and the light is easy to ignore. It doesn't force the tyre pressure display on the centre cluster or or intrusive actions, just the little light.

To check the system I refitted the summer wheels and reset the system. Within 100 meters the first tyre pressure was displayed, all pressure were displayed in approx 500 meters. So the system is self resetting as soon as it finds some sensors it likes.

Switching back to the winters, again with a reset, I just get the message 'Tyre pressures will be displayed when driving' though I haven't been far enough to trip the light on yet.

I've watched a few youtube vids about forcing a reset of the system using a little white plug near the OBD port. However the new cars seem to have a similar size 6 way plug. Doesn't seem to be an issue to reset once the sensors are near the car so I'm hopeful the tyre depot can sort it.

Anyway for anyone planning to just run without TPMS on their winters - seems to be nothing other than a orange light to contend with.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:02 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail T32
Model: Tekna 1.6 dci 7-Seat
Year/Plate: 2014/64
Mods: Detachable Towbar
will this work
http://www.ateqtpm.com/quickset/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:10 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail T32
Model: Tekna 1.6 dci 7-Seat
Year/Plate: 2014/64
Mods: Detachable Towbar
just seen this
Did You Know?
A faulty TPMS sensor can now result in an immediate MOT failure. As of 1st January 2015 any car manufactured from 2012 onwards that is displaying a TPMS warning light on the dashboard will automatically fail its MOT test.

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tpms

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:21 am 
Soft Roader

I'm aware of the MOT requirements, just a question of taking the car with its summer wheels on if you don't have sensors in the winter tyres.

A tyre reset tool is an option, however it may not have the correct firmware given the tyre shop had to get a new unit to be able to read my OEM sensors. Also they seem quite expensive for something you don't use often. Once my sensors are properly cloned, the car should sort it out as soon as driven.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:32 pm 
Soft Roader

So TPMS is finally working in my winter wheels.

The garage had to fit different sensors which they said were a different frequency and more expensive. Not that the charged me the difference so that's all good.

Two of them detected straight away, the other side took a few miles to appear but the front and rear pressures were reversed even after a calibrate in the settings.

After a couple more journeys the car worked it out and swapped the readings so it's finally sorted.

Key thing to note is that continues to monitor and make changes even when the lamp is out.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:36 pm 

If anyone is looking for a set of winter wheels I will be removing a brand new set of 17" Accenta wheels from my new T32 at delivery next week.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:54 pm 
Soft Roader

Are the x trail wheels on the T32 the same fitment as older models.

Looking to get some winter wheels but don’t need them to be the shiny 19 inch alloys of the current T32 model, if another will fit.