Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

2003 Automatic no 1st or 2nd gear

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Bus-man 
#1 ·
After almost 18 years I have my first real problem with the Xtrail.
Reverse works normal but when in Drive the Xtrail starts off very slow even though the revs are up at 3000rpm. Speed slowly increases and drives normally once in motion.

Diagnosing the problem further I find the transmission does not shift into 1st or 2nd gear and always starts off from rest the same way, as though it is stuck in 3rd gear.

So researching through the service manual I find there are 2 shift valve solenoids which control gear changes in the transmission. They both go through a combination of off/on changes to select a gear and I find looking through the table that if Shift solenoid B was not working then 1st and 2nd gear would never be selected.

This I think is my problem but has anyone else had the same and know of the cause ?

#3 ·
Well, on further investigation, there is no overdrive either.

I found on page AT-253 of the service manual, how to put the TCM into diagnostic mode to visualise flashes of the O/D lamp in the dash to show faults.
First problem is that the O/D lamp did not illuminate for the 2 secs indicated in the first step of the procedure. Found the main TCM 10A fuse was blown. So replaced it and the diagnostic sequence was done with no faults showing.

Then proceded to reverse out of the driveway and upon driving up the road, the fault was still there. Pulling back into the driveway and re-entering the TCM diagnostic mode showed the O/D lamp again failing to illuminate for the initial 2 secs so the fuse was blown again.

Further searching the power diagrams in the service manual showed that the reversing lamps are powered by the same fuse as the TCM. WHY ??? What seriously flawed piece of logic did Nissan use to come up with this idea ?

So now it is off to find out if it is the LED reversing lamps or the reversing sensor control box which is faulty causing the fuse to blow when put into reverse.

Atleast at this stage it seems the TCM and the mechanicals of the transmission might be fine.

#4 ·
Update ... disconnected the auxiliary LED reversing lights, reversing camera and reversing sensors which were all powered from the reversing lamp circuit. Fuse replaced and transmission fine with diagnostics showing no faults and all gears back.
I think some water may have gotten into one of the auxiliary LED lamps so I'll run a dedicated circuit now for those items once I find which one is causing the short and replace it.

#5 ·
Revhead Kev said:
Update ... disconnected the auxiliary LED reversing lights, reversing camera and reversing sensors which were all powered from the reversing lamp circuit. Fuse replaced and transmission fine with diagnostics showing no faults and all gears back.
I think some water may have gotten into one of the auxiliary LED lamps so I'll run a dedicated circuit now for those items once I find which one is causing the short and replace it.
Thanks for that update, and glad you found the cause of the problem. It's always good when people come back and post an update when they have found solutions to problems as it just might help someone else later, when they have a similar problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.