It is currently Tue May 18, 2021 11:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: BATTERY CHANGING - `LOCK DOORS - KEEP KEYS / FOBS AWAY` - ?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:49 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: XTRAIL
Model: 2.0 SE PETROL MANUAL
Year/Plate: 2006 / 06
Colour: BLACK
Mods: INSURERS WILL NOT ALLOW CHROME BUMPER BARS ! [TO PROTECT BUMPERS]
"Hello All",

I know that the subject of the Xtrail Battery has been discussed before - including a thread posted previously by Me - But I was directed to a Video about Battery changing where before disconnecting the existing Battery you are told to `Lock the Doors and take the Keys away from the vehicle` - words to that effect.

I think that it is mentioned that this is to prevent any problem with the Immobiliser / Keys / Fobs when the New Battery is connected - I hope that I will be able to simply open the Door after fitting the New Battery.

There is also a procedure to follow when the New Battery has been fitted regarding NOT Starting the Vehicle - but turning the Key to `On` and leaving it for 2 Minutes - I am guessing that this is so that the ECU is Reset - ?

It is many Years since I fitted a Car Battery and I don`t remember having to go through ANY procedures such as these.

So that I don`t have to note the exact wording and Type it here the Video`s for `Removing a Car Battery` - and a seperate one for `Fitting a Car Battery` are here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 7L074W5YfY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 0YcY_iWTig

The Video`s are from the AA - on the `Honest John` Driving website so they are definitely `legitimate` / `Safe` to view.

I know that I will now have to take notice of these details - But can any Members comment whether they have carried out these procedures when changing an Xtrail Battery - ?

Regards,

Chris

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Re: BATTERY CHANGING - `LOCK DOORS - KEEP KEYS / FOBS AWAY` - ?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:36 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T30 2.5 SVE
Year/Plate: 2003
Colour: Zinc
Mods: Wind Deflectors All Round,Chrome Mirror Covers,Rear Bumper Protector
Hi Chris,
No I did not and had no problems.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:28 am 
Off Roader

Model: Di Sport
Year/Plate: 52
Colour: Maroon
Mods: internal LED lights
Hi Chris, when I changed my battery I never did anything different to when I had any other car. My car is a 52 plate T30 deisel. Everything worked ok afterwards. One note though, is your radio key coded and if it is do you have the code. Mine is the original radio/CD changer and does NOT have a code. Personally I would NOT lock the doors or at the least leave a window open incase you need to get into the car for some reason things dont work.
Stewart

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:45 am 
Off Roader

Model: 2.2 di
Year/Plate: 2002
Colour: zinc
Mods: non yet
just disconnected my battery 2 days ago.never heard off that statement so reconnected as normal and had no problems.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:53 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 171 bhp
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: grey
Mods: none
Mines a T31 with keyless entry.
I charge my battery regularly and have been disconnecting it from the car first until now since I have bought a CTEK. Before disconnecting I attached a second battery in parallel to maintain memories. Once however I got it wrong and the car was without battery power for about 2 hours. I had no problems other than I lost my radio presets and the auto function on the drivers window had to be reset.
Locking the car before changing seems very odd.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:11 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: XTRAIL
Model: 2.0 SE PETROL MANUAL
Year/Plate: 2006 / 06
Colour: BLACK
Mods: INSURERS WILL NOT ALLOW CHROME BUMPER BARS ! [TO PROTECT BUMPERS]
"Hello All",

Thanks very much for the messages - I am now reassured that I do NOT have to do what I asked about in My original message - regarding the AA Advice in those Video`s.

I also have never had to carry out the `Lock the Doors before disconnecting the Battery` process - AND it seems a ridiculous thing to do to Me !

Although you could probably still open the Driver`s Door on My Xtrail just using the Key in the Lock [only keyhole on My Model] I cannot see any advantage of doing this `Lock the Doors` process - ?

I can only assume that the AA Patrolman / AA Technical Department know of some Cars where this HAS to be done and because they cannot see any disadvantages of doing it to all Cars [?] have included that process in the advice on the Video [?].

Also in the Video for fitting the New Battery - after connecting the New Battery it is stated to firstly `Lock and Unlock the Doors` using the Remote / Keyfob - I wonder if this is because you have been advised to have Locked the Doors before removing the Old Battery - ?

I am slightly confused about that point because the next Important detail is to `Turn ON the Ignition - BUT - NOT Start the Car` - this is obviously to allow the ECU to Reset - obviously from Members messages there is no `Reset process` after a Battery change / disconnection regarding the Immobiliser / Keys - ?

In the past I think that I have seen a reference to `Must have the TWO Keys / Fobs TOGETHER in the Car` - regarding the Immobiliser recognising the Keys after a particular process that I think involved the Immobiliser and Keys `Pairing` - I take it that this was something like getting the Immobiliser / Starting system to Re-recognise the Keys / Fobs - ?

I did previously wonder whether changing / disconnecting the Battery would cause ANY process to have to be done regarding the Immobiliser and Keys / Locking system ?

As I mentioned above I am very grateful for the replies and although I made the comments above wondering about the `Advice` from the AA I will now be replacing My Xtrail`s Battery as I would have done before the AA Video`s were brought to My notice.

The Video`s were mentioned to Me by a Friend who I had told that I was going to fit a New Battery to My Xtrail.

He stated that I should check out these Video`s as Battery changing seems to have become more complicated than it was previously - and that He did not want Me to get into a situation where there was a problem with either the Immobiliser / Keys & Locking System or the ECU Reset.

"Thanks again Gentlemen".

Regards,

Chris

P.S: raccoon - Thanks for mentioning the Radio Code - I do have this - obtained from Nissan - but I appreciate the reminder.