Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Power steering fluid

6K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  popeye55 
#1 ·
Hi all. Just a quick question. With the vast amount of different power steering fluids out there, I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to the best one to use. Car is a 2005 model 2.2dti sport.
Thanks
Andy

#3 ·
Hi ANDY and other fellow X-Trailers,

Do any of you know whether or not in the case of a T30 GX 2007/8 we can use the "conventional" (i.e not CVT) automatic transmission fluid (MERCONTM DEXRON TMIIV) in the power steering (DEXRON TMIII). There is a letter difference, V and I. I'd be very grateful for any advice on this doubt.

Cheers, BRIAN

#4 ·
x-inactive said:
Hi Andy,

Try this thread in the How To section: https://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6930

Kind Regards,

Eoin
I have the same question, with a twist. Searching for PSF I get lots of hits that return ATF. Googling, however, tells me that PSF and ATF have significantly different characteristics (basically, PSF should be lubricating and not so viscous, whereas ATF should be viscous and even a bit "gritty" so as to transmit power). And I haven't been able to find the Nissan original spec for PSF. Can anyone help? Can I use something like Dexron II or III fluid, which is cheap and readily available, or should I search out something else?

PS: The link in the OP is now dead.

#6 ·
Ahto42 said:
Many oil finders recommend Dextron 3
I know, but when you look at the label it says "ATF". However, various YouTubers and a couple of websites of suppliers of oils and other fluids have said that it's not such a good idea to use ATF in the power steering system, for reasons I outlined above. They say it will work but it will shorten the life of the power steering pump.

#7 ·
xmfclick said:
Ahto42 said:
Many oil finders recommend Dextron 3
I know, but when you look at the label it says "ATF". However, various YouTubers and a couple of websites of suppliers of oils and other fluids have said that it's not such a good idea to use ATF in the power steering system, for reasons I outlined above. They say it will work but it will shorten the life of the power steering pump.
Don't think it can be too bad, although I probably wouldn't chance it if the handbook doesn't recommend it. However, when I had my Volvo V70 ATF was the fluid recommended for the power steering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.