Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

turbo and intercooler oil leak again

154K views 195 replies 53 participants last post by  Danmagpie 
#1 ·
Hi I`m not sure if I should start what isn`t really a new topic but as so many people seem to be speaking on the forum about this annoying problem I thought perhaps it would help other people to get their heads round this " standard fit problem " It seems that nearly every X-trail at one time or other is going to suffer from this drip. But do we worry too much this little oil leak ? as long as its not noticeably leaking enough to show on dip stick, is it a big problem ? give it a wipe once a week, you may get a little burning smell now and then live with it . There seems to be too much investigation into where the oil is leaking out of the intercooler why ? why try and stop it coming out when the problem is it shouldn`t be here in the first place . Even if your intercooler has a leak why pay a fortune to change it ? if there was no oil in there you wouldn`t change it , you wouldn`t even know it had a leak as nothing would leak out apart from a little slightly charged air.
surely if you can`t live with a little oil leak sort the oil leak first. Investigate where the oil is coming from ,its coming from the oil feed to the turbo charger , there is a turbo bearing lubcricated with engine oil and i think that you will find 90% of all the problems with the intercooler would be solved . But again you have to weight up whether the expense is worth it and of course if you can afford the cost of a new turbo !!!! look forward to hearing other peoples views on this ! cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi. I agree. After removing the intercooler a few times and cleaning it up with the pipe from the turbo to no avail I have found that if you fold a piece of cloth wipe over several times and wedge it under where the the inlet pipe goes into the intercooler (thats where my leak is coming from) it soaks up the oil before it has chance to run down the front of the engine and change it every week and it has solved the oily mess on the engine and stopped the occasional burning smell that you mentioned and do'snt cost anything.
Cheers. Martyn.

#7 ·
:roll: Speaking as a newbie who's just acquired an X-Trail with the oily mess under the intercooler, I think the initial cause of the problem is being missed and we're just treating symptoms;

To my mind, the fault sequence goes like this;

- Intercooler develops air leak so boost pressure drops
- Drop in boost pressure means less back pressure resistance to turbo
- Less resistance means turbo spools up to too high a speed and over spins
- Over spinning trashes turbo bearings & seals
- Oil leaks into turbo and gets sprayed into intercooler
- Oil leaks out of the air leak in intercooler
- We spot oily mess

So, sadly, the damage is done long before we know anything about it.

Intercooler leaks on HGV's are known to cause turbo problems so they're pressure tested from time to time. Intercooler leaks also give fuel economy a kicking too.

Seems like a new intercooler ought to be fitted at the same time as a new turbo or the fault will just be repeated. The claw coupling along the intercoolers looks pretty poor so maybe the fully welded after-market one is the way to go to avoid future leaks.

#9 ·
Thanks Vandy.

Great forum by the way guys, looking forward to contributing where I can.

We're loving the X-Trail despite the turbo / cooler issues, just moved into it from a BMW 525d touring and it's proving much the better vehicle for where we live in the Cotswolds. Roll on winter then I can see how much easier it is to get up our street in snow without run flats!!

#10 ·
Hi BBF
Having changed from a 325i touring myself, with really fat run flat tyres (nightmare) you'll definately notice the difference in wet/icy/snowy conditions. I changed mine for an X Trail last year just as the snow was starting, as the BMW drove like a skateboard in the ice and tramlined in the dry! It was a lovely, very powerful and enjoyable car with all the bells and whistles and as long as the road conditions were just as it like them - dry, smooth and flat it was great. Took a while to adjust to the Xtrail but now I would have to think long and hard before changing it - goes anywhere and ideal for the country lanes where I live.

#12 ·
Hey posbyjohn - you must be a mind reader - well almost? I had a weird idea that it would be great if the forum members all met up so we could have an X Trail convoy down the motorway somewhere :whistle: :thumbs: Wonder how many we could get together?
Used to see the MG owners club convoy of MGB's and Midgets skooting along the local by-pass but haven't seen them for a while now - used to be between 30 - 40 of them, nose to tail - excellent!
Ah well, back to reality I guess.

#14 ·
posbyjohn said:
well vandy the classic car boys manage it, and i see the same sort of affectionpeople have for there xteys on here so who nows maybe we will get a meet someday :gathering:
I still remember the day, I asked about this... not SO long ago.... :gathering: Got an answer 'bout flaming grills, trailers and so on... LOL. So good luck getting them together.

#17 ·
Hope you clear the mess yourself.... we drive at the RIGHT side you know!!! But ehhh, you're all welcome. How many you had in mind?? House and garden are BBBBBBBIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGG enough!! (Would that be a sight!!) :lol:
Well, let's pull our agenda's.... :grin:

#19 ·
Antioch said:
BBF - you seriuosly think a tiny leak in intercooler can cause overspin ... ?

I really doubt that .. but I have bought a re-cored unit to be on safe side will report back asap ;)

Guys seem to be welding up the intercoolers now .. great imho
I take it that you mean a re-cored intercooler? if so, how much did it cost and according to this thread is it not the turbo that is causing the issue so did you replace that too & again if so, how much did all this set you back?

I ask because I have just discovered a tiny oil leak on my intercooler but am reluctant to run out and spend a bucket load of cash replacing both if there is no need

#21 ·
Hi. I've had a smelly engine for a while, but only got round to taking a look.

Yep - its the intercooler. I decided, before I shell out £260 on a new one, I'll have a go at sealing this one up.

I've got a big tube of engine sealant I'm unlikely to use on anything else - so have given it a liberal application around the crimped edges. I did both sides of the gasket as well as oil was coming out there as well.

If this fails, I might try chemical metal (if I can get the sealant off cleanly).

#24 ·
bugone said:
Hi. I've had a smelly engine for a while, but only got round to taking a look.

Yep - its the intercooler. I decided, before I shell out £260 on a new one, I'll have a go at sealing this one up.

I've got a big tube of engine sealant I'm unlikely to use on anything else - so have given it a liberal application around the crimped edges. I did both sides of the gasket as well as oil was coming out there as well.

If this fails, I might try chemical metal (if I can get the sealant off cleanly).
hi, love the mod - but can you tell me if this actually worked?

kind regards
Nick

#25 ·
Hi all, The intercooler drips on my car are only from the one small area at the left handside as you look at it. If its because the oil sinks to the lowest level how come the seal on the right as you look at has none?? and it seems to be that corner???

BTW did the sealant work on the intercooler bugone the suspence is killing me :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.