It is currently Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Re: turbo and intercooler oil leak again
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:41 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: X-trail
Model: 2005 2.2DCi FatFace
Year/Plate: 2005
Colour: Black
Mods: Celtic Tuning Remap to 170HP, EGR deleted, Rear exhaust box removed, K&N air filter, inter-cooler mods
bugone wrote:
Hi,

I've recently had the whail of death for my turbo. Mine is a 2005 DCi 136 SVE.

Instead of stumping up a small fortune to Nissan, I decided to replace it myself. I hope this helps others in the same position.

Here is how I did it.....

Disclaimer: By making this guide, by no means do I state this is either the best way, or the correct way.
This is how I managed to change mine, and figured out what I believe to be the easiest way to change it. I accept no liability if you attempt to change your turbo yourself, and things go wrong. If you are not confident underneath a bonnet, this is likely not a DIY job. As an estimate, this will take 5 hours to remove, and 5 hours to refit.

I liked your write up. Was going to do one myself till I found this today. I have fitted 3 now, one just last week for a friend. I would only add the the oil feed pipe should either be replaced with a new one or blasted through with compressed air ( both directions) to make sure it is clear. I also drilled out the banjo bole to 3mm. Also connect all up but don't bolt the manifold to the head, start it up for about 30 seconds. This way the Turbo get fully primed without it spinning up. On the intercooler, I welded mine up. I am wondering whether it would be worth doing an exchange welding service. I will have to think about it.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:01 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Previously - X-Trail
Model: SVE 2.2dCi
Year/Plate: July 2005 [05]
Colour: Zinc
Mods: Parking Sensors. DRLs, Additional Reverse lights, Wind Deflectors....
johnrimm wrote:
Hello,
Sorry to hijack this thread...
Can I just ask if anyone has bought a new intercooler recently - 2005 2.2dCi - they seem to be about £100-150 on eBay - but I would prefer a recommendation if possible.
Thank you for your time, kind regards, John

Hello again,

Just to update, I bought a replacement intercooler from here...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-IN ... 2749.l2649
£93.75 is a good price, the supplier is very helpful and approachable and it was here in 24 hours. :thumbs:

Thank you for your patience and advice; however, the turbo pain continues...

So, I have eliminated the intercooler, replaced the hoses at the catch can, inspected the other hoses for leaks (only a visual inspection) and replaced the hose clamps. I think that the turbo “whistle” may not as loud - but it is still there... :sad: I have no noticible loss in power, and the whistle is not there at tick-over - it only comes in over say 3k revs and disappears when you take your foot of the gas. There are no other engine noises which cause concern. Can my second turbo have realy failed after three years and less than 30k?

I had my turbo replaced three years ago, the oil pipes were also replaced, the cost was just short of £1200. At that time the intercooler was OK with no oil leaks. I have no codes showing through the OBD. No oil leaks and no oil in the air filter box. Yes, there was a little oil in the catch can - but not enough to worry me. The catch can hoses I replaced with 45mm silicone hose with new ”t bar” clamps. I also replaced the clamps on the 22mm hose from the top of the engine to the air inlet pipe.

My two questions are...
1. Pardon my ignorance, could the boost sensor on the intercooler be faulty and causing the turbo to “overboost” - how do you know it is working correctly, and could you clean it with say electrical contact cleaner?
2. Which hoses should I be checking for leaks? I have replaced the obvious ones with the catch can - but I am not sure which other hoses could be leaking.

If I cannot correctly diagnose and solve this myself, I will be taking my X-Trail to my “local” garage this next week for further investigation and advice. Sadly, if it is the turbo again then I will be saying good-bye to my beloved X-Trail - thirteen years since I bought her new and we have covered 106k. I can cope with most of the X-Trail issues - I have never known a car require so many replacement brake discs or be so easy on tyres. Overall it has been a positive experience; however, this is a time for “head over heart”.

Thank you for your time, and reading this lengthly post, any observations or advice would be gratefully received. Best wishes, John

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:50 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
Could be the boost control solenoid valve too.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:38 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Previously - X-Trail
Model: SVE 2.2dCi
Year/Plate: July 2005 [05]
Colour: Zinc
Mods: Parking Sensors. DRLs, Additional Reverse lights, Wind Deflectors....
Hello Ahto,

Thank you for your response, I will add that to my list of checks for the garage next week... Although, I would have expected it to show up in a code. I must admit as time goes on it is looking more likely to be the turbo - although no change to the exhaust colour and it still pulls well. It just sounds like a police siren - which is why I canged the intercooler and pipes. :roll: .

I wondered if the variable turbo vanes may have stuck - and I am considering turbo cleaner - possibly just clutching at straws though... :oops:

:offtopic: I followed your advice with the fuel transport pump and was happy with the result. I will be posting details - when we finally get our internet sorted next Friday. :thumbs:

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

John

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:49 am 

Hi Guys.

I'm hoping you can help me shed some light on my plight at the moment. I have similar issues to the ones mentioned on this thread. My 06 2.2 DCi has an oil leak coming from the inter-cooler (Front left as you look at it), and makes a savage whine whenever I lift off the throttle. It still drives fine but the noise is beginning to wreak my head.

My mechanic reckons its a gas leak in the exhaust manifold but I think its coming from the inter-cooler where a gasket has failed maybe and is letting pressurized air through or something along those lines. Its been happening for a long time now but I haven't gotten round to looking at it (about 2 years and 50k km+).

I keep it serviced and drive it regularly. I would love some guidance. Its a high mileage hero (398k km) but still pulling strong and I want to put it right if possible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:51 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: T31 Adventurer 2.0dci
Year/Plate: 08
Colour: Iridium Graphite
Mods: Safari lights
gibbonssm555 wrote:
Hi Guys.

I'm hoping you can help me shed some light on my plight at the moment. I have similar issues to the ones mentioned on this thread. My 06 2.2 DCi has an oil leak coming from the inter-cooler (Front left as you look at it), and makes a savage whine whenever I lift off the throttle. It still drives fine but the noise is beginning to wreak my head.

My mechanic reckons its a gas leak in the exhaust manifold but I think its coming from the inter-cooler where a gasket has failed maybe and is letting pressurized air through or something along those lines. Its been happening for a long time now but I haven't gotten round to looking at it (about 2 years and 50k km+).

I keep it serviced and drive it regularly. I would love some guidance. Its a high mileage hero (398k km) but still pulling strong and I want to put it right if possible.

If you want to find if the intercooler is leaking then take it off(Easy job with basic tools) and spray a soapy(Fairy liquid) water mix on the intercooler especially bottom left as you look at it in engine bay,.hold hand over one end then blow into the other and look for bubbles over it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:37 pm 

While we'r on the subject of Turbos, just had one fail on my 03 plate x trail 120000miles, still all together but wondering wheater to replace it or just scrap the car, seems will have to replace the intercooler as well from what I read here.
What are your thoughts?????
cheers
Dave

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:38 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail (Jeeves)
Model: T30 22YD ETI DDT DI SE+
Year/Plate: 2003
Colour: silver
Mods: Duplex chain upgrade, EGR valve blanked off EGR allso set to off or ignore via ECU.
hi Dave depends how you feel about doing the work yourself? i have the DI 2003 im not sure if it leaks but the fins on my intercooler are terning to dust so for me inevitable a trip to the scrapyard will hopefully sort that anything better than that and im thinking ill maybe try to line it with something https://www.screwfix.com/p/holts-tyrewe ... lsrc=aw.ds i wonder, has the oil from blowby been discused? my egr is off/ ignore and a catchcan fitted air intake manifold cleaned had my turbo off 3 years back no oil leak.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:03 pm 

cowboy wrote:
Hi. I agree. After removing the intercooler a few times and cleaning it up with the pipe from the turbo to no avail I have found that if you fold a piece of cloth wipe over several times and wedge it under where the the inlet pipe goes into the intercooler (thats where my leak is coming from) it soaks up the oil before it has chance to run down the front of the engine and change it every week and it has solved the oily mess on the engine and stopped the occasional burning smell that you mentioned and do'snt cost anything.
Cheers. Martyn.

That's exactly what I have done . also gunk cleaned the engine underneath and it has been fine since.
I change it only once a month

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:42 pm 
Off Roader

Model: 2.2 DCi
Year/Plate: 2005
Colour: Silver
Mods: Towbar?
A quick question. The X-Trail has just failed it's French version* of the MOT due to a "fluid leak" at the front of the engine, around the Turbo area.
I am hoping it is just the intercooler, and having a quick look before it gets dark, it does look like I will need to replace the intercooler.
The front left is showing signs of a leak, as is the rear right. Worst bit pictured below:

How can I tell if it is just the intercooler?
The car runs fine, and the oil level does not need topping up, so I am guessing that a new intercooler, and a good clean up should do the job nicely.

*more stringent rules have been brought in recently, and the oil has always been there as long as I remember.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next