Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Elm327 not communicating

8K views 23 replies 2 participants last post by  mikeyseghill 
#1 ·
Right, question for people that have the elm 327 obd wireless adapter. What programs are people using to connect to it?
I've got an iPhone so need something that's iOS and I have a '53 2.2Di.
So far tried eobd and auto doctor but none of them connect to the car. Also downloaded elm 327 wi fi checker which picks up the adapter so it seems to be a problem with that connecting to the car rather than adapter to the phone.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
Hi

Unfortunately you will never in a million years be able to connect using an apple I phone or IOS as its not compatible.
You have to use Android and my findings have found the only app that works really well is Car Gauge Pro. Also depending on which elm device you have it will determine if it will connect too. I tried a couple before I found one to work which is the one on the link below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-OBD2-ELM3 ... 43f1f7e459

This is really important, before you try to connect to the ELM device you will have to delete any other devices that your android phone had connected to in the past. It must be clear of these otherwise you will have problems connecting.I have a sony Z3 that works a treat on the Elm.

Nissan data scan is also another android app that i managed to connect with but it was very very temperamental and would only connect now and again. I have a 100% success rate with connecting to Car Gauge Pro on Android

Regards
Mike

#3 ·
Thanks for that mike. I've tried loads of stuff on a laptop including Nissan data scan and never got anything to work so thought I would try the elm327.
The phone connects with the elm but guess there's no app out there that works with the x'y :-(

#4 ·
The only App' I found to be of any good is Car Guage Pro on android.

I have an I phone 6S and run IOS Apple Mac Pro but there was nothing I could find to connect using apple products

Only Android. I will take a couple of pictures tomorrow to show you some of the parameters that I get on Android App' Car Guage Pro. Its is quite a useful App'. I use a sony Z3 which was my old phone and it works a treat

What I will try and do is take pictures showing the connection stage and then the parameters you can choose to see, then some of the parameters running

Regards
Mike

#5 ·
Hi Doon1968 as promise here are a few shots of CAR GUAGE PRO working on my Di Xtrail. I will post each picture separately as unfortunately can't post all together
Sequence of pictures are as follows, if you click on the picture you can see them upright
1. Picture of Car Guage Pro on my Sony Z3 Android phone
2. Picture of the ELM device I use that works
3. Picture of Car Guage Pro when you open it up, you then choose diagnostics
4. My blue tooth wasn't on so it asked me to enable it
5 Select Nissan out of the list
6 Select ECM (Diesel)
7 Select OBD11
8 Select Diagnostics
9 Phone is now connecting with ELM
10 Available ECU should now pop up all you so is touch it to select it
11 Loading the parameters of the car
12 Select Data Parameters
13 Select multiple Sensors View
14 Select PID list
15 to 20 PID list showing what you can select
21to 22 just showing a couple of the ones I selected
23 and 14 Live photo of the parameters i wanted to view

Attachments

#24 ·
Hi

Don't forget to make sure that the android device you use is totally wiped of any stored bluetooth items it has connected to in the past as you may get problems connecting. I don't know why this is but it can effect connection.

At least you can now see that it is possible to get into the Di engine and quite a few of the parameters. Not as many as the Dci but there are quite a few handy ones there.

It does check for faults and you can clear fault codes with it as well.

Regards
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.