Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Guttless old girl

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  mikeyseghill 
#1 ·
My 2003 2.2di is a little gutless to say the least. I often find myself dropping gears on hills, even on dual carriageways at speed. All seems fine up antil 2.5k revs. Then she doesnt want to know.... the revs from there up seem to be in a different time zone. This is made worse when towing. On the way home tonight, towing a lightweight twin axle trailer. The hill i hit everyday , not towing. I usually have to drop to 5th. Today i went 4th and still wasnt happy. Hit the hill at 60mph, 48mph when i hit the top. Ive done the fuel filter and air filter. I had 2 injectors replaced a while back as i had a loud diesel knock. I still have a rattle/ knock. But unsure of what it is. Tickover varies between 1k and 1.5k regardless of temp etc. Ive no warning lights up.oil change is overdue. But cant see this affecting things. Its driving me mental. Anyone local to ipswich who could take for a run. This is my 1st Xtrail. So i have nothing to compare it to. Camping season is approaching, and i dtead hooking up my van .

Cheers Kris

#3 ·
hard to say really

worn engine / piston rings / low compression ?
Turbo not boosting properly ?
Brakes binding ?
A 2.2 engine isn't the going to win any races at the best of times ...

I suggest getting a compression test done and take it from there.
Theres no point in just throwing parts at it.

#6 ·
The Injectors can be cleaned and o-hauled if you want just takes time, have done it with my 200TDi years ago,
But wait and save a little time and money, have you used injector cleaner in your fuel?
My Di was gutless when i got it, down on power sluggish etc. All i did after all the filters and MAF, Inlet carbon cleaner etc was 2x bottles of injector cleaner in low fuel tanks now the ****** thing wheel spins in 2nd gear.
Ian

#7 ·
Ledsam said:
The Injectors can be cleaned and o-hauled if you want just takes time, have done it with my 200TDi years ago,
But wait and save a little time and money, have you used injector cleaner in your fuel?
My Di was gutless when i got it, down on power sluggish etc. All i did after all the filters and MAF, Inlet carbon cleaner etc was 2x bottles of injector cleaner in low fuel tanks now the ***** thing wheel spins in 2nd gear.
Ian
Hi Ian.

What did you do with the MAF? Ive had the intercooler off and flushed with brake cleaner. Have had redex through the system also. But that was at the recomended ratios . Im guesing you tipped the lot in? :grin:

#8 ·
I cleaned the MAF and also replaced but no difference,
In the end i used a full spray tin to clean the inlet manifold plus clean the EGR valve (did make a small difference)
Then low fuel tank say £10 worth 1 full bottle of injector cleaner and a drive in a lower gear higher revs for a good 10 to 20 miles then full tank with another bottle of cleaner and before long a totally different car.
lot's of power.
I think these 2.2 diesels suffer with fuel issues if driven normally and just need a good blast now again with injector cleaner??? smaller holes for a bigger mist and better power blocked holes no mist and no power until you get a higher pressure in the common rail then mist returns so does the power?

Ian

#9 ·
Hi

This will be down to the suction control valves on the fuel pump on their way out. There are two of them one green and one red and cost about £120 from e bay. here is a link showing you what they are. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUEL-PUMP-SU ... SwqfJZeMsG
This is a common issue with the pump which is also used on they older Toyota RAV and couple of other manufacturers who used this pump on their engines.

Cheers
Mike

#10 ·
mikeyseghill said:
Hi

This will be down to the suction control valves on the fuel pump on their way out. There are two of them one green and one red and cost about £120 from e bay. here is a link showing you what they are. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUEL-PUMP-SU ... SwqfJZeMsG
This is a common issue with the pump which is also used on they older Toyota RAV and couple of other manufacturers who used this pump on their engines.

Cheers
Mike
Hi Mike.

Is there anyway of checking these , before i spend the money on them?

Cheers Kris

#11 ·
Hi
Unfortunately not but I can 99.9% say this is your problem. When these valves are on their way out they don;t show any fault codes or put the car into limp mode. The problems you've stipulated are classic signs of these being the issue. Also when at idle you can rev the car no problem at all, its only under load that the problems start and always around the 2500rpm mark, usually in 3rd 4th 5th and 6th gears but as time goes on also in 1st and second.
Cheers
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.