Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Alternator ?

5K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Houston 
#1 ·
So I came out to my Xtrail this morning to a mosly flat battery (central locking worked etc...)
Put a booster on and and got it started, set off to work and first radio cut out then engine died
With ZERO power left in battery at all.

So this points to alternator being fubar'ed but it didn't show any warnings on dash to say it wasn't charging ??

Anyone else had that ? Or could it be something else at fault ?

#3 ·
thing is, if it was battery why did it run out of power while the engine was running ?
As I was driving the dash lights went out but if I Revved it hard they came just came back on.

After it totally died, I got someone to jumpstart it and that got me to work. Dash lights and even radio for a bit..

I'll see if one of our engineers will take a quick look when I finish work..
One advantage to working on buses I suppose :lol:

#5 ·
Found a 2nd hand alternator for £36.. as it's gonna cost me £20+ perday without car figured was worth risking that lol :lol: ...
Might also do battery as that wouldn't hurt as it is looking kinda old.
Any recommendations for batteries ? Saw a post saying Varta E44 is good, will that fit ok as doesn't come up when doing reg search..

Just want to get everything ordered so I'm without car for as short a time as possible.
Can't even look at it till Tuesday anyway as working 14hrs a day till then :roll:

#6 ·
Houston said:
Found a 2nd hand alternator for £36.. as it's gonna cost me £20+ perday without car figured was worth risking that lol :lol: ...
Might also do battery as that wouldn't hurt as it is looking kinda old.
Any recommendations for batteries ? Saw a post saying Varta E44 is good, will that fit ok as doesn't come up when doing reg search..

Just want to get everything ordered so I'm without car for as short a time as possible.
Can't even look at it till Tuesday anyway as working 14hrs a day till then :roll:
Varta batteries have always been good.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e44/

#8 ·
Bit of an update.. got the breakdown out to it after I finished work.
He put booster (and jump leads on) and got it started..
The instant he took the booster off it cut out.
So that was that, got flat bed out and carried it home.

That kinda confirms it's the alternator :lol:

I did notice though that before I started it there was no battery light. But as it stalled it did glow slightly.

#9 ·
DO NOT DO ANYTHING UNTIL YOU CHECK THE CRANK PULLEY .These Xtrails and many vehicles over their life will suffer with a delaminated crank pulley ,so before you even change the battery or alternator, check the crank pulley first .Or you could end up like one poor soul last week who owned an Xtrail ,sent 2 x apparent faulty Alternators back and fitted a new battery and still had problems .I just told him to check the pulley and yes the garage did and it was knackered (Delaminated),he is all back running again now .

If you or a garage loosen both the belts , grab the crank pulley firmly .If it spins then it's had it.

#10 ·
leafy said:
DO NOT DO ANYTHING UNTIL YOU CHECK THE CRANK PULLEY .These Xtrails and many vehicles over their life will suffer with a delaminated crank pulley ,so before you even change the battery or alternator, check the crank pulley first .Or you could end up like one poor soul last week who owned an Xtrail ,sent 2 x apparent faulty Alternators back and fitted a new battery and still had problems .I just told him to check the pulley and yes the garage did and it was knackered (Delaminated),he is all back running again now .

If you or a garage loosen both the belts , grab the crank pulley firmly .If it spins then it's had it.
Good advice thank you, will certainly check that when I can

#11 ·
Houston said:
Bit of an update.. got the breakdown out to it after I finished work.
He put booster (and jump leads on) and got it started..
The instant he took the booster off it cut out.
So that was that, got flat bed out and carried it home.

That kinda confirms it's the alternator :lol:

I did notice though that before I started it there was no battery light. But as it stalled it did glow slightly.
This isn't conclusive. The behaviour of the charging light does suggest the alternator though. Be sure to check battery negative lead connection to earth also, and don't forget to check the crankshaft damper as suggested by Leafy.

#12 ·
Houston said:
Colster said:
That's the one I was looking at.. same company is selling on the bay of E for same price but free postage lol..

So that'll fit in alright ? I'll get it ordered thank you :biggrin:
I would suggest speaking to supplier before ordering type 096 battery. The battery on my car is type 030 which is flat topped. Another battery I have seen fitted to T30 is type 249. OE part number is 2441088S72 which they may be able to cross reference.

#13 ·
Ok, charged the battery up and checked all main things listed above
Belts fine and alternators rotating etc..
Battery stays at 12v and got 12v at alternator output
I've even put a jumplead from battery to alternator shell to rule out earth issues..

Now before I actually start taking the alternator off I've been told there could be Alternator Fuse ??... Anyone know where that is (if there is one).

The Battery light isn't coming on at all, not even before I start the engine.
Anyway to check the charging light circuit ? Should there be any voltage at the 2pin plug for alternator ? Alternator needs a little bit of power to actually start and it could be that whats missing..

Failing that once rain stops ill be getting under to take alterntor off...

#17 ·
Colster said:
No need to get under car. Alternator can be changed easily from above.
This was anything but easy :lol:
Had to go take wheel off then under tray to be able to take off AirCon belt to get at a bolt...
Also had to remove several brackets just to be able to squeeze the stupid thing out.

Anyway all finally back together and now shows 14v when running :biggrin:

Had a big heart dropping moment when I when to turn it on and Battery light wasn't on again... Then remembered I'd not plugged in one wire... Pheww that had me worried :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.