Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

White Smoke Low Power

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Ahto42 
#1 ·
I have just read loads and loads of posts on the subject of white smoke, but none seem to pin point my problem,My car is a 2005 X Trail 2.2 dci, i was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction, first here is the problem, car always starts straight up first time cold or warm, car ticks over smooth, but if you blip the throttle it seems to be erratic when drops back down to tickover for a few second, then smooths out again, the car has no water in oil or oil in water, it is not using any water, but when you drive it, the car bellows white smoke from the exhaust under load and has very little power, the engine management light is not on when the car is running, can anyone point me or have any advice on this subject, thanks in advance, looking forward to reading any replies

#3 ·
A quick google search came up with the following...

WHITE SMOKE occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and unburned. Some causes of this include

Faulty or damaged injectors
Incorrect injection timing (could be a worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft keyway).
Low cylinder compression (eg caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring sticking, cylinder and/or ring wear, or cylinder glaze)

When white smoke occurs at cold start, and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing. Use of our Flushing Oil Concentrate and FTC Decarbonizer address these respective problems.

Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke. Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry, and are often to blame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.