All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Detailing
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:56 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.2 dci sport
Year/Plate: 04
Colour: silver
Mods: graphite gray powder coated alloys.
Well I started to strip the X trail today, the one I purchased off the bay at the weekend. So far I have ordered new discs, pads, track rod ends, strut gaiters, oil and filter, air filter.
Removed calipers and got all of the rust and c**P off them, bleed nipple seized so a bit of heat sorted that, painted them up in silver Hammerite. Going to take the struts off tomorrow, clean them up and spray them black then put the new gaiters on.
Took the intercooler off and it's soaking for a while. The engine is sweet for nearly 200,000 miles. Last owner (only owner) was Black horse so it was a pool car or a rental so all the servicing has been done regularly as the stamps show, inside is pretty clean but the O/S rear quarter window is broken so i need a window for that next. It is covered in gaffer tape holding the crazed glass in place, is that an MOT failure?
Will take pics and post as the bits get done.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Detailing
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:31 pm 
Soft Roader

Took both front struts off, one of the springs has broken near to the top so got one on order, finished off by jet washing then spraying them black and putting the new gaitors on. Took the inner wheel arch panel off to have a look and clean the oil filter housing, noticed the drive belts were not in good condition and the AC belt was so loose it could not turn the AC pulley. The adjuster was on max but belt was loose. Seized up adjuster now on bench soaking. Nice clean intercooler back on after washing it out and washing the expansion chamber and lubricating and cleaning the EGR. Filled up with 10w 40 semi from Costco. Started it up and NO engine management light on now. Bled up the brakes, very firm pedal. Took ALL wheels off and taking them tomorrow to be stripped, blasted, primed and powder coated. Found a place in Birmingham that will do all of them for £120. That includes removing tyres and putting them back on with a balance after they have cooled down.
A very well known glass replacement company quoted me £350 for a quarter glass at the rear as mine is broken. I did laugh so loud. I have ordered some tinted plexi glass and found someone to bond it after I have cut it. All for £50.
I got a pot of Kurust and went over all of the rusty bits under the car. It turns out gunmetal grey when it bonds to the rust and looks loads better. This car is easy to work on or is it that I have owned some difficult cars before?
That was all done today, bit knackered now so gonna have me a beer or two.
Will post images when I can work out how to.

Post subject: Re: Detailing
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:51 pm 
Soft Roader

I lied about the beer. Went back to the job and removed the back calipers for a good service. Tomorrow I will take the discs off and poke around inside the handbrake bits.