All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Basic Guide To Detailing
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:51 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: Aventura 2.2 Dci
Year/Plate: 2006
Colour: Urban Mist KX21
Mods: Fully loaded. Leather, xenons, tints, heated seats, power folding mirrors, ESP. Also with dealer options. Safari pack, side steps, rear parking sensors, Westfalia detachable towbar, boot mat. Travall dog guard. Mods so far.. interior LED lighting.
Hi Guys,

As the better weather is approaching. Just thought I would add a basic detailing thread. Getting on to 20 yrs experience. So any questions, please feel free to ask.

I have said it many times. Regardless of what you do. Compound,polish,sealant or wax. Hand, DA or rotary. You need to clay the paint first. Preparation is 90% of detailing.

Think of it this way.

Clay. Always, always clay. This removes roughness from the paint traffic film, etc. And is the base to any kind of detailing.
1) Compound removes scratches & dull paint.
2) Polish adds depth & gloss and reduces fine scratches. Sometimes fills fine scratches
3) Sealant. Seals the paint to protect all the work you have done
4) Wax. A wax can be used either on top of a sealant, or in place of a sealant. You dont need to use both. A sealant will out last a wax due to its technology.

Rappy :cool:

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: A Basic Guide To Detailing
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:05 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail T30
Model: Columbia
Colour: Aruba Blue
Mods: Tow Bar, LED interior lights, LED number plate lights, Sunroof Wind Deflector, Running Boards, Air horns, Spot Lights, Tinted Windows, Front & Rear parking cameras, extra led reversing lights and more to come :-) Martin.
See Bilt-Hamber came out top in the Auto Express test :thumbs:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessorie ... t-clay-bar

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:18 am 
Xtrail Nut

Mods: Fully loaded. Leather, xenons, tints, heated seats, power folding mirrors, ESP. Also with dealer options. Safari pack, side steps, rear parking sensors, Westfalia detachable towbar, boot mat. Travall dog guard. Mods so far.. interior LED lighting.
pubcrawler wrote:
See Bilt-Hamber came out top in the Auto Express test :thumbs:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessorie ... t-clay-bar

Who? :lol: :whistle:

There is a lot of new tech. But I think I will stick with a company that started in 1901. Not 2007. But that's just me :oops:

Find something good that works & stick with it. That's what I have done for over 20 yrs. And my father did the same & his father.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:24 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Vauxhall Antara
Model: 2.2 cdti se
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Carbon Black
Mods: None
I used a Clay bar for the first time at the weekend. Very impressed with the results. I used a 3M medium. Worked for me :thumbs:

Thanks for the advice and guidance Rappy :bow: :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:28 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T30
Year/Plate: 56
Colour: Silver
How does one actually use a clay bar? I've heard the term but am intrigued. (Not that I'm likely to ever do so - I think I'd need a wire brush to get the muck off Mrs Avocet's Exy)!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:30 am 
Xtrail Nut

milton wrote:
I used a Clay bar for the first time at the weekend. Very impressed with the results. I used a 3M medium. Worked for me :thumbs:

http://m.ocregister.com/articles/meguia ... mpany.html

Interesting read

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:40 am 
Xtrail Nut

How to use a Clay Bar

It is important that the surface of the paint is clean and cool to the touch before you start claying.

Start by cutting the clay into thirds. I do this so I don't use the whole clay for one use, plus if you drop it I'm not wasting a whole bar.

Mold the clay by squeezing it in your hand, once it becomes pliable roll it into a ball and flatten into a disc shape about ¼" thick.

Spray a generous amount of clay lubricant on a 3x3 area.

Glide the clay back and forth over the wet area of the paint using little to no pressure. If the clay sticks, add more lubricant. As the clay goes over the paint you will feel and hear the clay picking up the contaminates.

Keep going over the area until the clay glides easily and you no longer feel or hear contaminates on the paint.

When the clay becomes dirty, fold it upon its self and knead it until a clean surface appears. Also check the clay periodically to make sure that you didn't pick up any large contaminates that might scratch the paint.

Remove the clay lubricant with a microfibre towel and move to the next section.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:58 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T30
Year/Plate: 56
Colour: Silver
Excellent, thanks! Might give it a go on my "Sunday car" (which is quite old and is probably lacquered cellulose paint)? (It's 25 years old). I don't think it will be water-based at that age, but not sure. There is definitely a clearcoat on it though. Would clay do that any harm? also, what's the lubricant? Is it just water, or something more sophisticated?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:53 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Avocet wrote:
Excellent, thanks! Might give it a go on my "Sunday car" (which is quite old and is probably lacquered cellulose paint)? (It's 25 years old). I don't think it will be water-based at that age, but not sure. There is definitely a clearcoat on it though. Would clay do that any harm? also, what's the lubricant? Is it just water, or something more sophisticated?

No, not at all. Clay is simply to prep the paint.

Megs Smooth Surface Clay kit. 3 for 2 in Halfords. 2 bars of clay, quick detailer/clay lube & a micro fibre towel.

http://reviews.halfords.com/4028/914259/reviews.htm

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:51 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Vauxhall Antara
Model: 2.2 cdti se
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Carbon Black
Mods: None
rapport25 wrote:
milton wrote:

http://m.ocregister.com/articles/meguia ... mpany.html

Interesting read

Interesting read, thanks Rappy :thumbs: