It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Basic Guide To Detailing
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:07 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-Trail of course
Model: Columbia 2.2 Oil Burner
Year/Plate: 06
Colour: Silver'ish
Mods: Dirt
Avocet wrote:
How does one actually use a clay bar? I've heard the term but am intrigued. (Not that I'm likely to ever do so - I think I'd need a wire brush to get the muck off Mrs Avocet's Exy)!

Must admit I'm with you, wire brush and one of those green scratchy things the Mrs's uses on the pans work well for me :lol:

Rappys instructions were quite interesting I thought, but this claying stuff is not for me :oops:

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:25 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-trail
Model: 2.2 dCi Sport
Year/Plate: Sept 05
Colour: Zinc
Mods: Dog Guard, LED Side and Interior Lights - New Turbo, New Intercooler, New Fuel Transport Pump, New Clutch and Flywheel, 4 New Brake Calipers, New Sump Pan, New ARB Bushes, New Drop Links - Tells you all you need to know about the X-Trail
I use one of these :cool:

Attachment:
Clay-Mitt-IMG1479.jpg

So much easier and quicker to use than a Clay Bar, see the link for some hands on reviews.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... p?t=330602

BTW, Bilt Hamber make some of the best Detailing products on the market today.

I use Bilt Hamber Autofoam ( Snow Foam ) and in my opinion it is one the best pre washes out there, I also use Bilt Hamber Korrosol Fallout Remover, which is great for removing bonded contaminants from your paintwork before you Clay.

Andy... :thumbs:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:58 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: Aventura 2.2 Dci
Year/Plate: 2006
Colour: Urban Mist KX21
Mods: Fully loaded. Leather, xenons, tints, heated seats, power folding mirrors, ESP. Also with dealer options. Safari pack, side steps, rear parking sensors, Westfalia detachable towbar, boot mat. Travall dog guard. Mods so far.. interior LED lighting.
Hi Andy,

I have used various snow foams & the key is ph neutral. Or you will be stripping wax.

Clay mits have been known to mark the paint.

Rappy :cool:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:02 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Mods: Fully loaded. Leather, xenons, tints, heated seats, power folding mirrors, ESP. Also with dealer options. Safari pack, side steps, rear parking sensors, Westfalia detachable towbar, boot mat. Travall dog guard. Mods so far.. interior LED lighting.
Andy Shepherd wrote:
I

BTW, Bilt Hamber make some of the best Detailing products on the market today.

Really, based on what? Interested to hear why?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:43 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Mods: Dog Guard, LED Side and Interior Lights - New Turbo, New Intercooler, New Fuel Transport Pump, New Clutch and Flywheel, 4 New Brake Calipers, New Sump Pan, New ARB Bushes, New Drop Links - Tells you all you need to know about the X-Trail
To answer you first reply,

All Clay ( Be it Bar, Cloth or Mitt ) will cause a certain degree of micro marring, but as you know, this is easily removed by polishing, whether that be by hand, DA or Rotary.

Re Bilt Hamber,

Based on my experience, plus the reviews of the many Professional Detailers that swear by their products.

I have the following,

BH Autofoam is one of the best Pre Washes available, I use it every time I clean the Xy.

BH Korrosol Fallout Remover ( for those who don't know, a Fallout remover is a must do stage before you even take Clay anywhere near your paint, it will dissolve all the large bonded contaminants embedded in your paintwork, without it you risk dragging those contaminants all over your paint and scratching the hell out of it as you Clay )

BH Finis Wax, very durable and looks great on a Zinc coloured X-Trail :thumbs:

BH Regular Clay Bar, not used it yet, so will see how it goes.

Have you used any of their products?, give them a go, you might be pleasantly surprised :thumbs:

Andy... :smile:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:39 pm 
Xtrail Nut

rapport25 wrote:
Really, based on what? Interested to hear why?

Thanks,

Based on this :lol:

Attachment:
X-Trail-1.jpg

Some of my Bilt Hamber products used on the Xy's spruce up last week, and you have to agree, it does look rather good :cool:

Sorry matey, couldn't resist :whistle:

Andy... :thumbs:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:56 am 
Xtrail Nut

Andy, car looks great :bow:

I like Autobrite snow foam & purple rain. There really is no right or wrong answer.

I have heard great reviews about BH snow foam. It has great cleaning abilities. The only issue is, it will strip wax, as its not ph neutral.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:13 am 
Xtrail Nut

Andy Shepherd wrote:

Fallout Remover ( for those who don't know, a Fallout remover is a must do stage before you even take Clay anywhere near your paint, it will dissolve all the large bonded contaminants embedded in your paintwork, without it you risk dragging those contaminants all over your paint and scratching the hell out of it as you Clay )

Have you used any of their products?, give them a go, you might be pleasantly surprised :thumbs:

Yes I agree. I use Purple Rain. And no :whistle: :oops: :oops: , I have not tried any BH products.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:55 am 
Xtrail Nut

Location: The Netherlands, Maartensdijk, centre of the country
Car:: Nissan X-Trail
Model: 1.6 Tekna 2 wheel drive
Year/Plate: 2018
Colour: Dark Brown
Mods: Dark brown with broken white upholstery. Tow-hook, fire extinguisher, LED Matrix headlights, LED interior and boot-light, handmade semi leather back-seat cover (dogs), booth-liner, wind deflectors, 4 seasons tires, BOSE audio + sub-woofer, Class 3 alarm
There is a BIG difference in polish and wax. A polish cleans the surface by getting a very little layer of your lacquer. There is also a difference in how they have painted (spray) the car: with a extra clear layer (As in metallic) or just a single layer. Single layers can be polished, never polish a clear lack layer!!
If you polish, after that you can use wax. Which brand you use is on you.

Me for instance, use for over 40 years A-1 products. Which is a very good product. In my early days I used Commandant (finest) to polish a car (Not metallic), after that I cleaned it with a light fluid polish and after that I used A-1 wax. It came in fluid and in a can (creamy) Cost you a day, but the result was 150%!

Just a tip: water based lacquers are by far not as strong as the old lacquers... (nitro celluloses) Today they use only water based.

http://wackchem.com/a1-speed-wax-plus-3

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:51 pm 
Xtrail Nut

rapport25 wrote:
I like Autobrite snow foam & purple rain. There really is no right or wrong answer.

I have heard great reviews about BH snow foam. It has great cleaning abilities. The only issue is, it will strip wax, as its not ph neutral.

Totally agree with you re the Right or Wrong answer, we all have products that we favour and Autobrite make some of the best, think I'll be giving Purple Rain a try in the near future, just been watching it perform on Youtube and it looks very effective.

Agree re BH Autofoam stripping wax, I try and use it at a lower PIR than BH recommend and it seems to do the trick and doesn't diminish the wax so much, trouble is it cleans so good it's hard to give it up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next