It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Basic Guide To Detailing
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:46 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 Diesel Aventura
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: Black
Mods: Reversing sensors, Intercooler grille, Black gear stick, LED lights, DRLs, Black alloys, Headrest DVD, Oil Catch Can, Dashcam
rapport25 wrote:
Yes, but it does not contain diminishing abrasives, and will add scratches.
Rappy :cool:

T-cut's out then! :lol:

Thanks Rappy

Cheers

Bloggsy

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:00 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: Aventura 2.2 Dci
Year/Plate: 2006
Colour: Urban Mist KX21
Mods: Fully loaded. Leather, xenons, tints, heated seats, power folding mirrors, ESP. Also with dealer options. Safari pack, side steps, rear parking sensors, Westfalia detachable towbar, boot mat. Travall dog guard. Mods so far.. interior LED lighting.
Megs Ultimate Compound :thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:16 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-trail
Model: 2.2 dCi Sport
Year/Plate: Sept 05
Colour: Zinc
Mods: Dog Guard, LED Side and Interior Lights - New Turbo, New Intercooler, New Fuel Transport Pump, New Clutch and Flywheel, 4 New Brake Calipers, New Sump Pan, New ARB Bushes, New Drop Links - Tells you all you need to know about the X-Trail
rapport25 wrote:
Is it a wax? Or a paint sealant?

There's a lot of confusion over the topic of car waxes and paint sealants. More specifically, there's confusion over what's the difference between a car wax and a paint sealant? Such as when you would use one over the other as well as if you need to use both?

Car Wax
On discussion forums, most people think of a car wax as something that contains some kind of naturally occurring wax, as in a type of wax that is found in nature, for example Carnauba wax is the most commonly used naturally occurring wax used in car wax formulations.

Paint Sealants
On discussion forums, most people think of a paint sealant as something made from synthetic polymers with no naturally occurring wax type substance or other naturally occurring ingredients.

To add to that confusion, some people think you need to use both usually performing a practice commonly known as Topping in which a person would first apply a paint sealant to seal the paint and provide perceived maximum protection followed by the application of a car wax, usually one that includes Carnauba to give the resulting final finish warmth and glow.

(Warmth, Glow, Pop, Sterile, Plastic are all discussion forum buzz words used to describe and differentiate the appearance results produced by either a paint sealant or a car wax)

Whether it's a car wax or a paint sealant, you only need to use one or the other, not both. You can use both if you like, that's personal preference, but you don't have to. Meguiar's has been teaching people the 5 Step Paint Care Cycle since 1981 when they introduced Trigger Wash which was the first "Mist & Wipe" type product that we've all come to refer to generically as Quick Detailers. The name Trigger Wash was dropped and the mist and wipe product that actually created/defined the category in the industry was named Quik Detailer. (Before 1981, because there was no such thing as a mist and wipe type quick detailer Meguiar's taught the 4-Step Paint Care Cycle)

The 5-Step Paint Care Cycle is a common sense approach to regular car care maintenance which breaks the process of maintaining a vehicle's paint into 5 distinct categories or steps. This would include,

Step 1: Washing
Step 2: Surface Prep
Step 3: Polishing
Step 4 Protecting - This is the step where you would apply either a car wax or a paint sealant
Step 5 Maintaining

Now follow me on this, you can figure out what a product is by the step or category it is placed into. If a product removes defects off or out of the paint then it fits into Step 2: Surface Prep.

If a product is applied to the paint with the end-result goal intended to be protecting the paint then it's placed into Step 4: Protecting no matter what the name is on the label of the bottle or can.

It is in the step or category that both groups, waxes and paint sealants belong. This being true, (and it is), then when it comes to protecting your car's paint, after you have done any necessary washing, surface prep and polishing, (and optional step), to prepare the paint then at this point you only need to choose and apply one type of product to coat over, seal and protect the paint. You can if you like apply one, two or more applications of this same product that's your choice but it's not necessary to apply an application of each type of product.

While you don't have to apply a coat of each type of protection product, some people choose to do this for a host of different reasons, usually for perceived better protection or perceived better appearance, but you don't have to, it's your option, not a rule.

One coat of a protection product to protect the paint with a recommendation for a second coat to insure,

Uniform appearance, unform coverage does not teach applying multiple, multiple applications of a paint protection product to create a thicker and thicker layer of this product on the surface because the surface of your car's paint will only hold so much product and after you've created a uniform coating, any more product applied simply replaces what is already there or is wiped off as excess residue. To date, no one has ever proved that layering, that is multiple applications for a product increases the thickness of the coating being applied.

The difference between a wax and a paint sealant
The difference or the distinction between what is a wax and what is a paint sealant, (according to forum consensus), is that a "Car Wax" contains some type of natural waxy type substance. A paint sealant contains no natural wax but instead is made from man-made or synthetic materials with the the catch-all term of polymers being the most common word used to describe what's in the can or bottle. There are currently no "Wax Police" so companies can pretty much use any word or term they choose to label their products.

According to the forum consensus definition of a paint sealant, is an all synthetic paint sealant but the word "wax" was chosen as the descriptive word for the label because the majority of enthusiasts in the world understand what a car wax is and when and how to use it. When the average do-it-yourselfer walks into an auto parts store to purchase products to wash and wax their car, they are looking for a Car Wash and a Car Wax.

Excellent post, Rappy :thumbs:

May I ask what Pad Combo you use with your DA ?

I'll be buying a DAS6 Pro when pay day comes and was going to use the following Combo

Meg's #205 http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... -cat8.html

Pads http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... erLCH00000

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... cat10.html

I'll be using just the Crimson and maybe the Tangerine pads as the Xy only has some very light Swirls from my poor washing technique :oops: the Xy had a 2 stage machine polish about 18 months ago so the paint is still in very good condition.

Andy... :smile:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:35 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Mods: Fully loaded. Leather, xenons, tints, heated seats, power folding mirrors, ESP. Also with dealer options. Safari pack, side steps, rear parking sensors, Westfalia detachable towbar, boot mat. Travall dog guard. Mods so far.. interior LED lighting.
Hi Andy

Thanks for the kind words :oops: . M205 is pretty much Ultimate Polish. But, Ultimate Polish has more polishing oils.

I have used LC pads in the past. But have stuck with Megs, no surprise there then :shock:They are pretty decent, don't get me wrong.

I use Megs Cutting yellow pads & Megs finishing black pads.

The X-Trail paint is not super hard to refine, just process of elimination.

Have you used a DA before?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:57 pm 
Xtrail Nut

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-W9207- ... B001TKWRHO

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-Soft-B ... B002OHQKNI

Link to both of the Megs pads. Also, both are machine washable

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:27 am 
Xtrail Nut

Mods: Dog Guard, LED Side and Interior Lights - New Turbo, New Intercooler, New Fuel Transport Pump, New Clutch and Flywheel, 4 New Brake Calipers, New Sump Pan, New ARB Bushes, New Drop Links - Tells you all you need to know about the X-Trail
rapport25 wrote:
Hi Andy

Thanks for the kind words :oops: . M205 is pretty much Ultimate Polish. But, Ultimate Polish has more polishing oils.

I have used LC pads in the past. But have stuck with Megs, no surprise there then :shock:They are pretty decent, don't get me wrong.

I use Megs Cutting yellow pads & Megs finishing black pads.

The X-Trail paint is not super hard to refine, just process of elimination.

Have you used a DA before?

Ey Up, Rappy...thanks for the advice and the links to the Megs pads :thumbs:

Re the DA, used a mate's a couple of times, but that was under much needed supervision, was thinking of buying a scrap panel ( Nissan ) to practice on before I go anywhere near the Xy's paintwork.

I'll be using the DA on the lights first, to try and remove the Yellowing on the tops, I used Megs UC by hand the other day and they came up quite well, but with a DA and a little wet sanding they should come up like new.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:30 am 
Xtrail Nut

Hi Andy,

I would suggest the following

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel ... ration-kit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:45 am 
Xtrail Nut

The scrap panel idea is great :thumbs:

Would suggest getting a black panel as that is the hardest colour to work with. Remember to tape the edge of the panels and split into 4 working areas. No bigger than say 2 ft x 2ft.

For a test spot, I would do the following..... check the paint depth prior to any machine work. Remember my thread before :bigcry:. Remember you are removing paint. I have wet sanded cars before and never broke the paint.

Tried to fix my car & did not re-check the paint after it got keyed :headbang:

Least aggressive method first with a polish with a fine cut

1) Speed 4 mild pressure. Work product check results.

2) Speed 4 lots of pressure. Work product check results & so on.

If the car has seen paint or is thin it requires a different process. You can try different pads, Compounds, polishes, da speeds, pressure you apply, how quickly you move the da over the paint. And a light to check your work

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:27 am 
Xtrail Nut

Thanks for the walk-through, Rappy :bow:

Re the Paint Depth Gauge, I was looking at one of these http://www.paintdetective.com/ not cheap by any means, but like you say it is a essential piece of kit. Do you have any other recommendations re the PDG, which one do you use?

Also, will the PDG work on the Xy's plastic front wings, or do they only work on metal panels?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:28 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Andy Shepherd wrote:
Thanks for the walk-through, Rappy :bow:

Re the Paint Depth Gauge, I was looking at one of these http://www.paintdetective.com/ not cheap by any means, but like you say it is a essential piece of kit. Do you have any other recommendations re the PDG, which one do you use?

Also, will the PDG work on the Xy's plastic front wings, or do they only work on metal panels?

Andy,

It all depends on your budget. The one I have does all variants. Metal, plastic & fibreglass. But........ cost around £1200 10-15 yrs ago. :shock: :shock:

A couple of hundred pounds should see you right. Paint detective are a fairly decent brand.. But will only check the paint on metal parts.

If & when you get one, we can talk about safe paint to machine polish. :thumbs:

You need a swirl finder light. I have a classic Brinkman dual xenon, not sure they still make these now. Mine is around 10 yrs old.

And not forgetting 3m Blue detailing tape.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next