It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Looking for an x-trail
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:58 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.2 DCI SE
Year/Plate: 07/56
Colour: Silver
Hello

I am not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but I looking for some advice, if possible.

I have been looking at getting an x-trail ever since I sold my Terrano 3 years ago (need to downsize after having my baby and leaving work) and I have finally decided I now need to actually get on and find one.

Could you offer any advice for things to look for/avoid.

I am I right in thinking that full service history is vital? Also, what about mileage, several that I have seen have over 100k, is this a lot?

And would an older car with low mileage be better than a newer car with high mileage????
I don't have a huge amount to spend so I do realise that I will be limited but I want to try to get the best for my cash and not end up with a car that costs me a fortune to keep on the road.

I have around 5-6K to spend, please be honest if you think this isn't enough.

The car won't be doing a huge mileage, just to work and back, but I do plan on towing my horse (around 400kg) trailer (Ifor Williams-braked around 1 ton) a few times a year.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Looking for an x-trail
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:40 pm 
Off Roader

Car:: X-Trail
Model: T-Spec DCI
Year/Plate: 2004
Colour: Zinc
Mods: Heko wind deflectors, 215/70r16 Cooper ATR's, Bonnet Guard, Welded core intercooler
You can get a lot for £6k.
I bought a 54 plate T-Spec DCI (fully loaded) with 120k on clock. Runs fine, has part service history and it owes me less than £3.5k including taxing it, fitting a new intercooler and several other items.. I paid less than 3 for it

Things to look for are whiny turbo, leaking intercooler, make sure all the electrics work fine especially heater blower.. Brake calipers like to seize so make sure it will roll on its own if not on a flat surface... part from that, just use judgement well and get the best you can afford.. Where are you based?

Mutley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:22 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T30 SVE 2.5 auto petrol
Year/Plate: 04
Colour: Aruba blue BW6
Mods: chrome wheel arch trims
Yep...your money should buy you a very decent X Trail, Loulou...a good service history is the key...and an all round generally well kept and unabused motor. :thumbs:

Have a good surf around these forums...you'll find loads of advice, tips and experiences.
There are plenty about so take your time in choosing the right one for you.

Mine's a petrol auto model and I assume you are looking for a diesel.?...I paid £3700 for mine back in April with 69k miles on the clock.

Good luck

Neil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:42 pm 
Soft Roader

Hi

Thanks for the replies and advice, very useful.

I had been thinking about a diesel but I am now researching petrol based on your replies. I am in Norfolk, just outside Great Yarmouth.

I do have a car to sell/trade too. Any dealers to avoid?

Thanks

Louise

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:32 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T30 SVE 2.5 auto petrol
Year/Plate: 04
Colour: Aruba blue BW6
Mods: chrome wheel arch trims
[quote="Loulou"

I do have a car to sell/trade too. Any dealers to avoid?

Thanks

Louise[/quote]

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Yeah...most of 'em...LOL..particularly if they are Nissan Main dealers.!

Just look and buy with your head.!. :thumbs: ..and you can always take someone along with you for a bit of support.
Do your research.!!.

Given that you aren't going to be doing that many miles p.a. it's worthwhile looking at a petrol model..and it will still tow your trailer ok.
You won't have the usual potential problems of DPF/Turbo/Intercooler etc with a petrol model..and the mpg is not THAT worrying on a low p.a. mileage..I get around late 20's in Winter...but can get a good 33mpg on decent runs in Summer.
The 2.5 petrol engine is quite powerful I assure you. :whistle: ...and easy to maintain...I love mine.!

Take your time..have a look at a few if you can...and make sure you have a good look underneath.!!..it's a 4x4 so you need to look for any potential "undercarriage" problems/damage.
Many of course will never have been off road.

Good luck

Neil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:00 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T30
Year/Plate: 56
Almost impossible to give good advice on this, I'm afraid. There's too much variation. A high mileage well looked-after one MIGHT be OK, or it might not! Likewise low mileage. As has already been said, a decent service history is a good indicator, but only an indicator. It really is petty impossible to accurately predict what's just round the corner.

All you can do is get a general feel for the car. See if it looks like it has been cared-for. Look for untended dents and scratches in the paint, see if the tyres are all evenly worn and the rims are free from bashes and scratches. Pop the bonnet and see if whoever has looked after it has bothered keeping the oil up to the correct level. Too much or two little is a sign of sloppy maintenance in a car that someone is trying to sell. Peer into the top of the radiator (with the engine cold!) and see if the water looks like oxtail soup or whether it is reasonably clear. Peer into the brake fluid reservoir and see if the fluid in there looks clean and straw-coloured or whether it looks dark. Have a look under the front of the car and see if there are any neglected oil leaks. Does the handbrake work well and does the lever only come up three or four clicks or do you virtually have to open the sunroof to apply it fully? Daft thought it sounds, see how dirty the interior is too. Again, none of these is an indicator of trouble, but it just helps build up a picture of how generally well looked-after the car has been on a day-to-day level.

As has been said, their running gear appears to be fragile. Brakes are troublesome, as are intercoolers and, to a lesser extent, turbos. Test drive it at all (reasonable!) speeds including motorway, and in all gears. Make sure there are no flat spots, hesitations or misfires across the whole of the rev-range (well, don't "redline" it, but up to at least 4000 revs).

If at all possible, take someone with you who knows a bit more about cars to listen for odd noises, vibrations and to have a look underneath and see if it's had a hard time off-road.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:32 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-trail
Model: 2.2 dCi Sport
Year/Plate: Sept 05
Colour: Zinc
Mods: Dog Guard, LED Side and Interior Lights - New Turbo, New Intercooler, New Fuel Transport Pump, New Clutch and Flywheel, 4 New Brake Calipers, New Sump Pan, New ARB Bushes, New Drop Links - Tells you all you need to know about the X-Trail
Hi Loulou,

I totally agree with Avocet re Service History, it's an indicator that the car has been serviced and that's it in my opinion, as an indicator to show if the car has been looked after then I'm not too sure.

My Xy was a one owner from new with a Full Main Dealer Service History and since March last year, when I bought the car, I have spent over £2000 on things like a new Battery, Tyres, Discs, Shoes, Pads, Calipers, fixing Oil Leaks, replacing a Fuel Transport Pump, changing Engine, Gearbox, Transfer Box and Diff oils and Servicing to maintain that stamp in the book.

So even though my Xy has an immaculate Service History ( all checked out with the Main Dealer ) it has still cost a small fortune to keep on the road.

I hope I'm not putting you off, because the Xy is a superb car and I wouldn't be without mine, but please make sure you do your homework and if needs be, take someone with you to check out the car.

Good luck :thumbs:

Andy... :smile:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:11 pm 
Soft Roader

Thanks for the replies, they have been really helpful.

Amazingly now there seems to be very few x trails in this area. Need to part exchange my car (the difference in price for selling privately is not worth the hassle).

But might have 1 to look at this weekend, trying not to get my hopes up too much.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:14 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail T30
Model: SVE - Blue Thunder
Year/Plate: 03
Colour: Aruba Blue (BW6)
Mods: Reverse sensors/alarm, front & rear wind deflectors, chrome rear boot sill guard, chrome mirror covers, chrome door handle covers, chrome rear light covers, full set rear nissan window screens, bonnet deflector/bug guard, headlamp protectors!
just remember a good one is worth *waiting/travelling for...

*delete as applicable

Personally we went for an older T30 Di but with low mileage (approx. 5k a year at the time), FNSH, top spec (at the time), with nice extras such as rear load mat, load cover, Nissan mats, which had had money spent regardless, and more importantly met the owner at his home, where it was stored in a carpeted/heated garage, and was good see how well looked after it was...

Could have bought newer and cheaper... but three years down the line, we have been rewarded with a reliable car!

Sold our previous car on Fleabay... wasn't far off the trade in value, a no reserve listing will see it sold, at what the market is willing to pay... classifieds mean you could be waiting to sell indefinitely if you over value your car?

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:20 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Vauxhall Antara
Model: 2.2 cdti se
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Carbon Black
Mods: None
Try auto trader. They have loads of xtrails for sale and you can set your search parameters based on your post code. I agree with all the comments,take your time and be prepared to travel for a good one. Good luck :biggrin:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next