Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

X-trail from Estonia Vol.2 T31 2012 2.0Dci auto LE

42K views 86 replies 13 participants last post by  Ahto42 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A hint was in my second, T30, thread.
I allways looked at the T31 diesel auto adverts and one that had come down a bit from its prize. So i brought it home.

It is a 2012 LE grade, 2.0 diesel with the auto box.
Front and rear heated leather seats,
rear camera in the mirror.
Xenon head lights,
Auto whipers. auto headlights an so on.

WP_20170319_001.jpg

WP_20170323_001.jpg

WP_20170323_002.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#52 · (Edited by Moderator)
As i said, the joint had a play. Pressing the old out.

IMG_20200704_141213.jpg

IMG_20200704_143029.jpg

Have to say, new joint is also lemförder, but it felt a bit soft after pressing it in. Maybe I did something wrong.

Also the wheelbearing made noise.
IMG_20200704_154804.jpg

Out with it.

Attachments

#53 · (Edited by Moderator)
And out it is.
IMG_20200704_154813.jpg

Followed this video

But i have to say that the abs wheel sensor does not come off 99% of times. If you do this, or visit a shop the buy the sensor. Like 18€
Unfortunally i forgot to buy the sensor, and it is saturday. So, no 4wd for me for few days.
Plently tutorial videos on yt how to drill out an abs sensor.

Have to hold back with the gas pedal because torque and tyre squeeks

Attachments

#54 ·
Long time no input.
If you have read this "blog", then you know that my X-trail is haunted with an electrical problem.
Randomly, (when usin cruise, the moust) the Interior lights come on for 2 sec and the BCM goes to failsafe mode. That means the main beams come on, no wipers(but the washer works), No side indicators on the dash(but they work luckly), The autobox loses the torque converter clutch, some times the ESP off and Slip light come on too.
When I stop the car, key off and start the the car again, Everything is ok. Sometimes for 2 minutes, sometimes 1 day, sometimes a week, or even a month.
I changed the clock spring, because the cruise often bring that problem up, and on a very humid day, the radio buttons did not work on the steering wheel. Was like 15€ from Ali. But the problem came still up.

Then ordered an used IPDM(Intelligent Power Distribution Module), that also controlls everything electrical, but that did not help.

Then I thougth that the LED DRL lights could generate an electrical/digital noise. Disabled them and for a while, id was ok.
Next tought was the Pioner aftermarket radio. Sometimes just before when the problem occured and i was listening music from youtube via BT, then YT would go pause and when resuming, the problem was there.
So drove with engine and cabin noises for 3 weeks, but eventually it came up again.

When I plug in the scanner, then the only module, that i can not talk is the BCM. I removed it, opened the case, soaked the PCB with contact cleaner, cleaned the pins and so on.
Bite the bullet and searced for a new bcm. It has to be with the same part number, because the wiring and the connectors may be different.
Found it in Poland from a Qashqai, 50-60€
My delphi DS150 can not program keys, so I ordered a Thinkdiag+ scanner from Ali that uses a Phone app. It is like Launch x491.
It programmed the keys with no problems and had to enable front headlight washers, but the rear wiper stop position is different. Tried to reprogram the BCM like a New BCM and select options manually but the scanner failed. Can live with wiper in 2 oclock, not on 3 like it was.
Touch wood, no problems within 2 days, maybe it is to soon to celebrate but will see how it goes.

If it solved my problems and the wiper arm starts to get annoing, then go tho the dealer and reprogramm it there.
I will play with the Thinkdiag+, maybe I can copy the old BCM settings and write them to the new used one.

I will keep You Updated.

#55 · (Edited by Moderator)
With the replacement bcm, it did the same.
I suspected the aftermarket pioneer stereo from the beginning.
Before new year eve I was on the way for a hair cut with my son and took some cash from ATM. He was in the car and when i returned from the atm, stereo reconnected my phone and right then it happened again.
Next day i removed everything that was connected with the stereo, included wires. The stereo has its own canbus box
IMG_20210114_091347.jpg

It has the steeringwheel controls, reverse signal, vss, and something more from that.And it was wired to canbus lines on the obd2 connector. First thing I disconnected the canbus wires, but it still acted up. Then i ripped everything out.
Droved like this for 2weeks after that i got bored from depeche mode- enjoy the silence. Good song tough.
Reconnected the stereo without the small canbus box.
Stereo works, but without stw controls, and the buttons do not have illumination.
A week with this setup, and had no problems yet.

Attachments

#56 ·
My cabin blower started to make noise a week a go.

Ok, bearings are toasted. But it failed completly on saturday. Basically no flow from vents. Luckly no frost, but windows begun to fog up.
A local parts store had a an Aftermarket NRF Brand QashQai blower unit in stock and from the parts nubmers it should fit.
Service manual says that the Dash has to come out :headbang: :bigcry: , but Youtube shows that there is a way around.
The UK folks have it easy. The rest have to remove the pedal assembly. No big deal.
When I reached the the part to twist the housing counter clockwise, it was stuck. Watched the videos again, if threre is a hidden trick or sometring, but just turn it and it comes off. Only on videos.

Then i went to nearby small engine repair shop to see if they have this type on oil filter wrench. Yes, they did and they let me borrow it.

It was pretty tight. even with the ratchet.
Ok old out and just quit check of wire polarity, You never know the aftermarket guys. OEM plugger direct on the case, the aftermarket one had like 5cm wires and then the connector. Polarit was ok, then back together. But it not want to go in to the HVAC box. :bigcry:. Turns out that the aftermarket one has a lip on the edge of the turbone ot self. It is 2mm bigger that the oem.
Wanted to swap turbines, but the aftermartet one was press fit and did not want to break it. OEM one had a nut on it and the shaft is slotted.
So luckly I have a bench grinder and just let the lip toutch the spinning grinding wheel to get the turbine to spin too, then I tilted the blower so it will grind the lip smaller and it did not loose it balance.
Now it went in and but everything back together.
Nice to have heat in the cabin now.

#59 ·
Nothing like that here today, fortunately. About 8 degrees, cloudy, and raining. We haven't had snow like that in this part of Britain for quite a few years. We did get a light dusting of snow a few weeks back, but nothing much really. Not too late though, as in Britain we know to expect anything. I can still remember getting snow at the beginning of June 1975, then two days later the temperature was in the high 20s and it stayed like that until well into September. Northern parts of Britain get much more snow than we do down here in the south east though.

#60 ·
Beginning of Feb we had a lot - in mid-Norfolk it was patchy but at least 12" (30cm) in our garden. My son had some 6 foot snow drifts in north Norfolk. Couple of years back with Beast from the East our road was blocked for 4 days!! Huge snow drifts along the roads and in region of 18" snow in the garden - took ages to go. One road into village took over a week to re-open........................If it comes from the East like both times we tend to get a good dumping and really low temps...................lowest in England in Feb was only 10 miles down the road at Santon Downham!!

This time though my son had my car to get his fiancée to work at East Anglian Air Ambulance - he said car was awesome..........................

#61 ·
Norfolk Jim said:
Beginning of Feb we had a lot - in mid-Norfolk it was patchy but at least 12" (30cm) in our garden. My son had some 6 foot snow drifts in north Norfolk. Couple of years back with Beast from the East our road was blocked for 4 days!! Huge snow drifts along the roads and in region of 18" snow in the garden - took ages to go. One road into village took over a week to re-open........................If it comes from the East like both times we tend to get a good dumping and really low temps...................lowest in England in Feb was only 10 miles down the road at Santon Downham!!

This time though my son had my car to get his fiancée to work at East Anglian Air Ambulance - he said car was awesome..........................
Last time I remember any substantial amount of snow was when we lived in Norfolk. I remember our village getting cut off and the RAF from Marham, which was just up the road, sent a snow-blower to clear the road, as some of their people came that way to work. Helped our village no end too. Here in Hertfordshire we hardly get any, and some years none at all. This year we got maybe half an inch at most, and even that didn't cover everywhere. Lasted barely a day then rain washed it away.

#63 ·
This year we had a fair bit of snow here in mid-Suffolk. Even got to try out my winter tyres, for essential journeys and to get my COVID vaccination (2 trips as on the first they closed the centre and sent me a text just before I got there). :grin:
We also had a fair amount of snow back in Feb 2018, although other years we have hardly had any (since 1996).
In 1981 spent one year working in north London (Brimsdown) and living in digs in Hertford. The road from the property dropped down a fairly steep hill onto the main road and I recall on several days wondering whether I was going to be able to stop in time, I did fortunately.

#64 ·
DUSZ said:
This year we had a fair bit of snow here in mid-Suffolk. Even got to try out my winter tyres, for essential journeys and to get my COVID vaccination (2 trips as on the first they closed the centre and sent me a text just before I got there). :grin:
We also had a fair amount of snow back in Feb 2018, although other years we have hardly had any (since 1996).
In 1981 spent one year working in north London (Brimsdown) and living in digs in Hertford. The road from the property dropped down a fairly steep hill onto the main road and I recall on several days wondering whether I was going to be able to stop in time, I did fortunately.
That's an area I know well. I once worked in Brimsdown too, but it was back in the 1970s. Hertford is one of my nearest towns, only about 10 minutes drive from home. I lived in Hertford from 1989 to 1992 then moved to the village where I am now.

#67 ·
Did the oil change today and tires today evening.
Who has done the oil change him self knows that it begins with fiddling with the plastic clips from the undercover plate.
My brother services moustly VAGS, and other germans. They all have polts there. So when I operated the tire and balancing machine, with my 12y son, he was so bored and nothing else to do. So he took out his nut rivet kit, dilled the holes bigger and installed M8 rivet nuts.
So from now on just 13mm socket. Sadly I did not take photos.
In went Nissan oem 5w30 acea c4, for dpf. :cool: .
Brother got it for a good resell price, same as other 5L known brands.

#71 · (Edited by Moderator)
Was busy
IMG_20210507_124830.jpg

IMG_20210507_124837.jpg

IMG_20210507_124848.jpg

It is the W-light wave 500. And i ordered 3mm stainless number plate bracket. The 2mm steel bracket is more common and more suited for smaller lights.

Installing was a challenge, because I wanted attatch the bracket to the bumber bar, because hanging like 1,5 kg on to plastic and foam does not sound secure.

The problem is that the distance from the bumper to the steel bar is 130 mm, so no way to tap a thread without take the bumper and the foam cushion off.
Went to hardware store to look what can i use. Steel self taping screws ended at 125mm.
Only option for me was for me to use 6x160mm wood srews.
In my store I had a long 4,5 mm long drill and i used it to drill pre holes for screws. It is now very secure, no wobles what so ever. Just took time to get the right tension, because 1 turn too much pulled the bumper too much in. Had the ruler out all the time.

The lights usually do not come with a wiring, so i bought it separetly too.
https://images.app.goo.gl/cyeStixD64sWZQF1A
And a male and female water proof connectors to connect the light to the harness nea the bumper.
https://images.app.goo.gl/CvyHHTmhfXBp9YAL6

Used a steel wire to pull the switch side harness thu the firewall.
The law says that the aux beam lights can work only with the high beams and there has to be a way to turn it on and off separetly.
Usually, they splice the switch wire to the head lamp wire, but the x-trail has the safarl lights relay in the inside fusebox near the drivers knee. The safari lights allso work, when the high beams are on.
I spliced the switch harness and cripmed a male connector and inserted it in the relay signal slot. Used a voltmeter to detect it.
Pics from the night test soon

Attachments

#73 · (Edited by Moderator)
Long story short: I did feel some vibration from the driveline when accelerating. Checked few time the prop shaft on the car, but did not find any play. My brother thought that maybe the U-joints are seized. The only way to confirm that, is to take the shaft off.
Bought 4 jack stands.
IMG_20210605_162529.jpg

It took onli like 20 minutes to take the prop shaft off.

And then the verdict.
Rear joint was in tact, but seized one way.

The front one was shot.
IMG_20210605_162112.jpg

IMG_20210605_162042.jpg

Attachments

#74 · (Edited by Moderator)
As you all know, I am a DIY'er and wanted to change the joints my self.
A lot of searching and YT, how to change staked u-joints.

Did not find the clipped and greasable ones, but find same one like the oems- GKN driveline, Part nr U-167.
The seals where not so great, but it was the only one that I clould find.

Took my ball joint press and begun to work.
IMG_20210606_135250.jpg

It was not easy
IMG_20210606_135247.jpg

Angle grinder
IMG_20210606_135247.jpg

Attachments

#80 ·
As you all know, I am a DIY'er and wanted to change the joints my self.
A lot of searching and YT, how to change staked u-joints.

Did not find the clipped and greasable ones, but find same one like the oems- GKN driveline, Part nr U-167.
The seals where not so great, but it was the only one that I could find.
Thanks Ahto, this may have helped one of our Australian Xtrail members in New Zealand

#75 · (Edited by Moderator)
Then took a 24mm reamer and a file to clean the holes,

Pressing the new joint in
IMG_20210609_153441.jpg

Used a punch to renew the stakes.
IMG_20210609_164142.jpg

Next thing was to install it under the car again. The front joint was a bit harder to install because the access is limited there. DPF is in the way.

Result was that the under acceleration vibration was cured, but from the out of balance, over 80kmh vibration came on soomth roads.

Pite the bullet and took it of again and went to a known machinist shop, that rebuilds them. They reamed the holes from 24 to 25mm and installed greaseable and changeable U joints. After that balancing of corse.

IMG_20210705_163219.jpg

Attachments