Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Nissan Connect Satnav and Audio (DAB) random reboots

49K views 54 replies 17 participants last post by  Mr_tron 
#1 ·
Early in January 2019 our 2016 X-Trail started having issues with the Satnav and DAB Audio.

The DAB radio kept randomly cutting out for 30 seconds then coming back. We assumed it was a signal issue at first but after monitoring and logging the problem it became apparent that this wasn't the case. It just seems to be rebooting.

At the same time the Satnav started to reboot regularly (multiple times even on a short trip) and in the process lost track of it's position and destination.

At first, the Nissan dealer was flummoxed but soon after we reported our issue, Nissan started getting multiple reports of exactly the same problem. What they now claim is that various software updates to iPhone and Android phone software cause corruption in the Connect software when the phones connect to the head unit via bluetooth. Yes, that's right, our phones appear to have trashed our car! That's the 21st century for you.

Nissan are apparently working on a fix but they cannot give even a vague estimate of timescales. In the meantime the dealer attempts to reassure us by saying that maybe Apple or Google will come up with a fix for their phone software. That latter solution is a) not going to happen and b) ignores the fact that this is a car problem, not a phone problem. The problem persists even when we completely disconnect all devices from the head unit so the corruption to the car software is permanent, not just when devices are connected.

A few weeks before the problems started Nissan had carried out a routine upgrade of the Connect software. They claim this is not the source of the problem.

Is anyone else having the same experience, and if so, what are your dealers telling you?

See less See more
#27 ·
Okay, thanks. Keep this in mind. Have to knock on wood, but almost a year old now: nothing happened...
But one remark. You cannot turn the automatic climate control off. Even when you put it on manual (Manual/ auto switch) it has a life of his own. And will kick in every now and then as I noticed. It's a bit "security" I guess otherwise it prevent you from driving with fogged windows... :thumbs:

#28 ·
T32james said:
Wimbo said:
Like to hear which items you've had.
- auto boot shut but didn't fully shut and latch only realised when driving off, happened a couple of times, not sure why and can't replicate
This happens if you start the car while the boot is still closing. Bit of a bug in my view, but just let the boot fully close before you depress the brake and clutch and start the car.

PS We still have no fix from Nissan for the rebooting DAB and Sat Nav.

#29 ·
x-terminate said:
T32james said:
Wimbo said:
Like to hear which items you've had.
- auto boot shut but didn't fully shut and latch only realised when driving off, happened a couple of times, not sure why and can't replicate
This happens if you start the car while the boot is still closing. Bit of a bug in my view, but just let the boot fully close before you depress the brake and clutch and start the car.
That's interesting. First time it did it i was still stood next to boot so not starting. Second time I couldn't be certain if I'd started it or not. Not happened since but odd to be twice on one day.

#30 ·
hello members

just an update - i took my car in for the service and brought the DAP/Sat Nav unit to their attention. The service rep said they will apply the latest software updates and see if this helps. They also told me that Nissan is aware of the issue and the solution does not exists at the moment however they are keeping the details of the affected owners and will get in touch once Nissan finds the solution. They did say that the issue sometimes resolve after software updates.

Mine did not cutoff since the service but I have not done many miles since then.

#33 ·
x-terminate said:
We've now had the very latest software update and the problem, fingers crossed, appears to have gone. No more navigation or DAB reboots.
Hi X-terminate - that is good news. Have you tried connecting your phone via Bluetooth after the update? My radio is not cutting out either after the update but I have not connected the phone again in case the radio starts to malfunction again.

#36 ·
Searce key for Youtube: Last update nissan x trail software
If you did it right youll' get this:

Or this:

This is for a Rogue but the way to it is the same I guess. They will ask a password. Do you have one? I haven't the slightest idea....

#38 ·
I haven't found the version number yet but will post it when I do.

All still working fine even when bluetooth devices reconnect. The whole phone and bluetooth thing was in my view a red herring put out by Nissan because they hadn't actually worked out what the problem was. It looks like it was just a bug in one of their software updates after all.

#39 ·
I have had the same issue since late 2018, sound cutting off for 30 seconds and random reboots. I have just returned from a four holiday (towed caravan to Italy and back), all they way from Leeds in Yorkshire to the ferry terminal at Dover I was getting the cut-offs and reboots. On leaving the ferry in Calais I drove to Italy, stayed there four weeks and drove back to Calais, not one cut-off or reboot. As soon as I left the ferry in Dover it started again and continued all the way to Leeds.
Can anyone explain this?
I have not had any software update as I was looking to trade the car in for a 2.0l in March but as I previously posted the 2.0l was taken out of production. 2.0l now back in production so will now look to trade-in.

#41 ·
I have been living with this problem on and off for 3years or so. Checking the QQ forum, they have the same issue. There is a new update, D630?, and my car is booked in for upgrade next week.
The service people knew about the problem and haven't mentioned cost. I'm not bothered - just do it!
Such a shame, as I love the car. I am changing cars next year and had ruled out Nissan due to the issue - but hopefully..........

#43 ·
System updated at no cost. So far everything is working fine. A long trip yesterday with no issues.
Radio5 sports extra has been set as no.1 preselected station on DAB, due to it being a pure DAB station.
Amazingly, it seems like a new car because it is free of the irritating cutting out. problem, hopefully. I now realise how much I like the car.

#44 ·
After 8 months of trying to arrange for radio to be looked at by main dealer, and due to another different fault. I tagged this problem onto the other problem for faultfinding.

Only to be told that Nissan had not been able to fix it, but that a new software update has recently been released that should cure it.

We will wait and see.

#45 ·
My radio has just begun to do this - cuts out, then the entire system reboots, sometimes 4 times in 30 minutes. Each time it will lose whatever navigation it was doing, it will revert to the last location it had determined the car to be at when the ignition was last turned on, it reverts to the radio station on at that time as well and worse yet, it goes to Minimise Motorway and Eco routing!!! I've got a Samsung J5 2017 and have had the car for the last 5 years without issue.....now it's plaguing me....

#46 ·
Just had my Juke updated today and my X-Trail booked in tomorrow. Both 16 plates and being done FoC after emailing Nissan. Before that my three local dealers tried to charge me £45, £85 and £120 per car! Robbing gits.

Can anyone tell me how to actually check the software version? I can't see it anywhere.

#47 ·
randomusername said:
Just had my Juke updated today and my X-Trail booked in tomorrow. Both 16 plates and being done FoC after emailing Nissan. Before that my three local dealers tried to charge me £45, £85 and £120 per car! Robbing gits.

Can anyone tell me how to actually check the software version? I can't see it anywhere.
Check the Software Version
6. Turn the audio system OFF.
7. Access the SERVICE MENU as follows:
a. Push and hold the APPS button.
b. Turn the TUNE-SCROLL knob as follows:
 Counterclockwise 3 or more clicks, then
 Clockwise 3 or more clicks, then
 Counterclockwise 3 or more clicks, then
 Clockwise 3 or more clicks, then repeat the above turns until the SERVICE
MENU screen is displayed (see Figure 1, below).
Figure 1
8. Select Version.
9. Check the Software version.

#48 ·
I started experiencing the random reboot issue earlier this year. Nissan dealer suggested I rang nissan's helpline. who advised that there was a software fix, and that my vehicle was eligible. Dealer applied the fix FOC, and all good now.

2017 T32 Tekna, 2.0 diesel auto, UK based

Hope this helps

#50 ·
I updated the firmware myself and no more random reboots. The dealer did offer to do it FOC but had a 3-week backlog and I didn't want to wait. New Satnav SD card and it works pretty well, OK it's not up to 2021 standards really, but it's fine for what it is.

#52 ·
[So does the software come as part of the satnav map update (assuming that you but a new card) ?]

No. Independent of the the Sat Nav update and takes a lot longer. However, I am basing on this on the Connect 3 in my 2014 Tekna. I think the facelifted version has a nicer entertainment system and my answer may not apply to you. ;)

#53 ·
As above, mine was also the Connect 3 in my 2016 Tekna. Basically if the system has an SD card then changing that is for the maps only. I think the later one have over-the-air updates (and no SD)? I realise that my post reads ambiguously but the firmware on the Connect 3 is separate - actually a Linux-based system. Not hard to update, look up 'The Qashqai Guy' on Youtube (same system on the QQ), just have to start the car so the battery doesn't completely discharge as it did for me :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.