Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Help - holiday in T32 with ventilation issue

8K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  mrsee 
#1 ·
On holiday in France in our '15 Tekna and have a strange issue with the ventilation system. After maybe 30-45 mins driving the volume of air being provided gradually reduces to nothing, even with the fan on full blast. I thought at first it could be a cabin filter issue so removed that temporarily but that hasn't resolved it. When the issue occurs I have removed
the cover of the cabin filter and there's plenty of airflow coming from there.

It's as though the computer gradually shuts all the internal vents to prevent any outflow.

Has anyone experienced similar or have any ideas, 32 degrees with no ventilation is not especially fun!

Many thanks in advance!

Alistair

#4 ·
randomusername said:
Mine seems to be similar problem to this post:

https://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=56026

Iced up pipes just like in that pic, and ice inside my pollen filter housing.
Thanks! That does sound exactly like the issue. As it's something that's only just started happening I'm guessing it could quite likely be a sensor not cutting the compressor out. Will try it with the A/C switched off and just use it in short bursts.

#6 ·
YUp I've had this issue. A couple of times on a really hot day you could hear the fan full blast but no air to cabin. But as with all my faults none seem to replicate at the dealership.

Also have a more frequent but still sporadic problem (ie dealer will never be able to replicate and or fix)with the fan randomly turning on full for short periods and doing this whether set to manual fan speed or auto. It has also continued doing it when the whole climate unit is turned off.

#7 ·
Mine was doing this today as above after about a hour there was hardly any air cold or otherwise coming into the motor and it was getting quite hot. To get some air in I opened the sunroof to tilt not fully open and the difference was amazing. Blowers giving off loads of ice cold air. Car cooled down within minutes.

#8 ·
T32james said:
YUp I've had this issue. A couple of times on a really hot day you could hear the fan full blast but no air to cabin. But as with all my faults none seem to replicate at the dealership.

Also have a more frequent but still sporadic problem (ie dealer will never be able to replicate and or fix)with the fan randomly turning on full for short periods and doing this whether set to manual fan speed or auto. It has also continued doing it when the whole climate unit is turned off.
I think your issue is the blower motor amplifier or resistor ( not sure which your model uses) is defective. Should be easy to swap out the old one for a new. Its puzzling to me why the dealer would be stumped by this, as its been affecting Nissan's for a long time and with many models. Of course, it's possible there is some other electrical issue, but odds are that is it

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/08/sym ... -resistor/

#9 ·
@Quadraria the problem I have is when ever I take it in they tell me they have to replicAte the problem otherwise will do nowt (under warranty).

The fan speed switching to full is quite random, some times it doesn't do it at all others happens quite a bit. I'm not sure what makes it more likely to happen so haven't yet taken it in.

#10 ·
Have had the same issue on my 2015 T32 1.6dci Tekna 4WD.

When I start the car, AC is OK - but I suspect not as good as it used to be. But after 45 minutes, there is almost no cold air out of the vents. If I turn AC off for 5-10 minutes, there is some cold air when I turn it back on, but even on "low" the effect isn't as good as it should be.

I can also hear a noise from under the dashboard on the passenger side. I started noticing the noise back in May, just after the annual service. I then touch it was just a air leak related to the filter - this was an issue on the car earlier, and "something" was refitted to make the noise go more or less away. With this in mind, I did not put much attention to the issue and plan was to have then look at it again later.

In the spring I did not have any long trips during hot weather, so issue came into effect a few hours after starting a 5000 km vacation-trip in the car - to France, Germany and Switzerland during the heat period in the end June...

"Lived through" the problem during my vacation with turning AC off for some shorter periods (also had quite frequent stops anyway). Have a service appointment at the local dealership in a few weeks....

#11 ·
An update on this. In my case, they had to replace parts of the AC to fix the problem. Don't remember exactly what they replaced - think it was the condenser at least.

Since the fix was performed during the fall last year, there was never really any weather afterwards that let me test if the performance for the AC now is ok...

#13 ·
I had this problem after the first year of ownership of my 15 plate T32. At its service they re-gassed the aircon and it was fine for a few weeks. Weather was rubbish so didn't bother too much with it. Following year there was no Cold AirCon so left the car with the dealer, and they put a colour in the system to see if any leaks.
Turned out to be a split on the corner of the AC condenser, and was authorised to replace under warranty.
Thankfully its been fine since then.

#14 ·
mrsee said:
Just an update to an old thread. In my case, mentioned above, they replaced the AC-radiator from what I understood (was a leak). Solved the problem.
An update here again. The above work was done in October 2019. But the AC issue is now back. After an hour of driving, the AC has basically no effect. Sort of suspect the real issue was never fixed in a good way or there was multiple leaks, but that the AC worked ok for a while as long as there was enough gas left in the system. Could be that the problem have been there for a while now, but with the whole Covid-situation the car havn't been used for longer trips since last summer - at least not in hot weather.

Car out of warranty now, but with the Norwegian customer rights, there is a new complaint period for 5 years on repairs that have been done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.