It is currently Wed May 19, 2021 2:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi folks,
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:37 am 
Xtrail Nut

Just popping in to say hello! Roy, 27 from Aberdeen and all being well I will be an X Trail owner by Wednesday so will probably be hanging about on here quite often!

Looked a 2002 2.0 Petrol Sport 5 door yesterday, 63k, guy's looking for three grand which I think aint bad with MoT til June and Tax til October. There is outstanding finance on it but will have this sorted by the time I hand over any cash! Also the HPi check came up with some weird history, i.e. the colour changed from grey to silver but it doesnt look like its been resprayed, and the vehicle details were changed - the word "sport" was dropped from the description... any theories anyone? Potential insurance fiddle? (like you used to re-register your XR2 as a Fiesta 1.6 for cheaper premiums...)

So anyways, if anyone has any experience of things to look out for on these cars or any potential faults to check out, please let me know! MoT history indicates a wearing balljoint, guess this is just a case of replacing a bottom arm? And the fron exhaust heatshield is rattling and rusted away to nothing, safe enough just to remove?

Cheers folks! :mrgreen:

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Re: Hi folks,
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:53 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Subaru
Model: Forester XT
Colour: Silver
Hi Roy. Suggest you contact your insurance company and see what details they have on the vehicle - if there's a problem with the details you may have trouble getting cover anyway. When I got mine the insurance company checked details and told me, "it definately isn't an automatic sir, how many pedals does it have?" Told them 4, just for a laugh, but wish I hadn't as they said they were unaware of any car with 4 pedals and had it been modified for a disability car! If it's a dodgy car (eg, cloned, etc) you'll loose it and have nothing so maybe worth doing a bit more investigating I think.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:40 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Robin
Model: Reliant
Year/Plate: 1970
Colour: Yellow
Mods: window wipers
Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Scottie :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:07 am 
Xtrail Nut

Hi again peoples,

Cheers for the replies.

Absolutely gutted but I had to walk away from the X Trail. Took it for a test drive and noticed the exhaust was blowing at the manifold. Looked under the bonnet and saw the top lambda sensor was all caked up with exhaust putty, but this wasn't where the leak was coming from. And with the manifold supply and fit prices being almost the same as the asking price for the car, I decided to give it a miss.

There was also a weird noise coming from the rear brakes as well like a loose caliper, didnt even bother checking it out after I saw the exhaust.

As it turns out the owner took it to a garage who quoted 30quid to weld a crack in the cat, but I still think I made the right call as thats a cat/manifold thats been bodged up twice!

So 20quid for an HPI check and two aberdeen-dundee return trips but I'm happy to have walked away from something that could have been a nightmare!

Still looking for an X Trail though, was happy generally with the car on the test drive. So for the moment I'm the only non-X Trail owner on the X Trail owners forum!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:18 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Hello again people,

Well I'm glad to say I am finally an X Trail owner!

Picked one up today, bit of a hike from Aberdeen to Newcastle and back but hopefully I wont regret it in the long run! 2.0 S, 02 plate, 59k. Took it home for £3400 with £500 trade in for a Fiesta i bought for £90... :thumbs:

Anyways, first impressions - a few dinks, one broken indicator lens, a snapped exhaust mount and a few other foibles but hopefully nothing major, all just stuff that allowed me to haggle with a clear conscience! Drives nice but pulls left slightly - one worn tyre and one brand new one on the rear may explain this. And there's a funny whoosh sound on acceleration from standstill, almost sounds like a turbo spooling up. Will investigate. And the whole car smells slightly of gunk, and the sump and timing cover have been reassembled with grey sealer paste.

But anyway, 6 months parts and labor warranty mean I'm not too fussed.

Quite happy with it for now, pictures to follow!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:55 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Anyway, here she is, with me taking advantage of the nice big sunroof...

:thumbs: