All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: T31 Exhaust
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:20 pm 
Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 173 dCi Aventura
Year/Plate: 2009
Colour: Thundercloud
Has anyone had to replace all/part of the exhaust system? Curious as to what it might cost - cannot believe mine is still ok after 11 years and 127k!!

Stuart

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: T31 Exhaust
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:18 pm 
Off Roader

Model: 2.0 DCi N-Tec +
Year/Plate: 2013
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar + 13 pin electrics, mud flaps, front bug deflector side bump strips.
sbradnam wrote:
Has anyone had to replace all/part of the exhaust system? Curious as to what it might cost - cannot believe mine is still ok after 11 years and 127k!!

Stuart

I wouldn't worry if yours is OK.
Malcolm

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:20 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
I think with the dpf, the pipe quality must be better. Like mild stainles steel or something. Because when the filter clean burns, temps rise up to 600c and normal steel just does not hold.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:02 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: Aventura Explorer diesel auto.
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: Blue
There is certainly something different about exhausts today, they seem much better quality. I can remember a time when exhaust pipes normally only lasted a couple of years or so.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:01 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: 2.0dCi Tekna 173
Year/Plate: 2011
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Nice full size mat in boot to stop dog sliding...and Celtic Remap 221hp!
I know mine is only just 9 years old (May 2011 reg) but I have now covered 175k and seeing underside when on ramp for MOT it still looks incredibly clean!

Yep I can remember short life exhausts and the old gun gum stuff and bandage you kept just in case!!! You still see/hear old cars go by with that weird muffled sound of something blowing slightly!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:00 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Norfolk Jim wrote:
I know mine is only just 9 years old (May 2011 reg) but I have now covered 175k and seeing underside when on ramp for MOT it still looks incredibly clean!

Yep I can remember short life exhausts and the old gun gum stuff and bandage you kept just in case!!! You still see/hear old cars go by with that weird muffled sound of something blowing slightly!

Cut down baked bean tins, large jubilee clips, and exhaust repair bandage come to mind. Fixed many an old car exhaust in that way! Usually got me by for a few more weeks, until it fell apart somewhere else! ;-) Gun Gum was fine until it got wet, then it tended to dissolve. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:09 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: 2.0dCi Tekna 173
Year/Plate: 2011
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Nice full size mat in boot to stop dog sliding...and Celtic Remap 221hp!
Remember my son driving all the way back from Bournemouth to Norwich in his old Fiesta (probably pretty quickly along motorways) and I get a telephone call at quarter to midnight - 'Dad - heard a bang and car sounds quite noisy'....................'where are you' was my reply. 'Costessey'! (that literally the next village. Got dressed and threw some tools in car only to find when I get there the exhaust had come off at the front box and was laying on road while still attached at rear! Scratched my head for few mins and tied a tow rope right around under car and over bonnet enclosing exhaust and got him to slowly drive home - waking the whole neighbourhood! The next day jacked it up and; as you say Bus-man, used old baked bean tin with jubilee clips and re-joined it so we could get it to garage. Amazingly it was so quite and garage said I'd done superb job. I think that repair they did cost about a tenner!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:59 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-trail 2.2
Model: Diesel DCi T-Spec
Year/Plate: 2005
Colour: Silver
sbradnam wrote:

Stuart
Hello.Full exhaust on Ebay..£370...or buy parts from HOFFMAN Individually would be much cheaper.Got a centre exhaust for £36 for T30 Xtrail.If it aint broke ..dont fix it Best Wishes Barry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:23 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Norfolk Jim wrote:
Remember my son driving all the way back from Bournemouth to Norwich in his old Fiesta (probably pretty quickly along motorways) and I get a telephone call at quarter to midnight - 'Dad - heard a bang and car sounds quite noisy'....................'where are you' was my reply. 'Costessey'! (that literally the next village. Got dressed and threw some tools in car only to find when I get there the exhaust had come off at the front box and was laying on road while still attached at rear! Scratched my head for few mins and tied a tow rope right around under car and over bonnet enclosing exhaust and got him to slowly drive home - waking the whole neighbourhood! The next day jacked it up and; as you say Bus-man, used old baked bean tin with jubilee clips and re-joined it so we could get it to garage. Amazingly it was so quite and garage said I'd done superb job. I think that repair they did cost about a tenner!

Incredible what we used to get away with. I used the old baked bean tin repair several times on old bangers I have had. Strange to think that in those days exhausts rarely lasted more than 3 years, and cars rarely lasted much more than 10 years. The old Ford Anglia I had in my late teens was absolutely falling to bits towards the end, and that was no more than about 12 years old when I got rid. My X Trail on the other hand was nearly 12 years old when I bought it, and it's as good now nearly a year later as a 2 year old car from the 1960s. It has the original exhaust too as far as I know.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:49 pm 
Soft Roader

Model: T30 Sport
Year/Plate: 2005
Colour: Silver
Back in the 70's when I was a student in Manchester we had a long weekend skiing trip to Cairngorm. On the way back the exhaust fell off the coach. Noise, a large diesel engine on a open exhaust, wow, especially driving into the centre of Manchester at around midnight, .

I have also "repaired" several exhausts using gun gum and tin cans. Surprising how long it lasts.