All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Coolant pre-heater
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:39 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
I am 99,99% sure that is fitted on all diesels T31 Xtrails and QQ. Like ine video, pull the left side cover and if you see what the Japanese guy saw, then it is installed. It is controlled via ground from the Climate control unit to the PTC heater relays.

https://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/viewtopic. ... a&start=10

i does help a bit to heat up the air, like +10c higher at the vents, wheen it is on.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:13 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: Aventura Explorer diesel auto.
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: Blue
Thanks Colster and Ahto42. I'll have to take a look when I can. Does seem strange though that they would fit something that doesn't have any way of switching it on, and no mention of it in the handbook. None that I can remember seeing anyway. On the other hand, I wasn't really looking for it. Sounds like it could be useful though on really cold mornings, not that I'm up early that often these days, being retired. Would have been really handy when I was working as I was on shift work and often around at weird hours, nights etc. Didn't have this car then though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:33 pm 

Thanks. Today, starting with the cold engine in less than 1 km the air from vents was warm. Heating was set to MAX, just to check if it works or not. Outside temperature 10 deg C. So, I suppose the thing works. Anyway I plan to fit a pre-heater for coolant and I also plan for a Consult check to see if everything is in place and working.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:28 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 2.2 DCi Columbia
Year/Plate: 2006 '06
Colour: Silver
Mods: LED Sidelight bulbs!
Decent looking heater kit here on an online auction site...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124135511977

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:05 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
I installed a eberspächer fuel burning heater and never looked back. Defrosted windows in the morning.
If i could use 220v, then such unit with circulating pump. It goes between the engine and heater core inlet hose. Google will help to find them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:11 pm 

Right, the eberspacher is the best option but I already have the preheater with four glow plugs and my main purpose is a little different. I just want the coolant temperature to raise quicker in cold weather. With the climate I have in my home town an expensive solution is simply not worth the money.
I will also study the posibility of a 220V heater, too, because I can park very close to the mains.
I asked the above question just because a second heater with glow plugs would have been a problem for the battery, if added.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:52 am 
Xtrail Nut

I think that the alternator can handle it for a short period at idle. You have to monitor it. If the alternator can hold 13.8v and above. And not getting too hot and smelling bad.
Then i would make it 2stage. Just 2plugs when let it warm up and defrost the windows.

You have to see how it is working. And remember. Winging must be hold 60A of load. The relay controlling can be normal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:20 pm 
Soft Roader

Model: T30 Aventura
Year/Plate: 07
Colour: Silver Beige
Mods: Engine Pre-heater, Soundproofing, reversing sensors, COB reversing lights, Interior LED lights, Alpine DAB radio & aerial, Phillips Blue Vision Ultra headlight bulbs. Catch can, K&N air filter. Celtic tuning re-map.
tamango wrote:
Right, the eberspacher is the best option but I already have the preheater with four glow plugs and my main purpose is a little different. I just want the coolant temperature to raise quicker in cold weather. With the climate I have in my home town an expensive solution is simply not worth the money.
I will also study the posibility of a 220V heater, too, because I can park very close to the mains.
I asked the above question just because a second heater with glow plugs would have been a problem for the battery, if added.

I have fitted a mains coolant pre-heater on all of my cars for the past 28 years. I currently have the same pre-heater fitted on my Xtrail Aventura, Skoda Citigo and my Audi Q5. They are cheap to buy on Ali Express (£25-£30) and straightforward to fit. They pre-heat the cars to around 65C throughout the year, takes from 40 mins to 75mins depending on the car and outside temp.