Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

T31 sat nav replacement

17K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  Ahto42 
#1 ·
Hi Folks
Has anyone bought a really good Din2 replacement unit for the T31 teckna sat nav system that utilises the cameras and steering wheel controls?

#4 ·
I bought a 2 Din Android unit to replace the 6 cd stacker in my 2011 T31. Mine came from Lazada ( Philippine Alibaba) ..and it cost me about £100. Its an amazing unit that does everything you could ever want .. I havent had to upload or download..or install anything...totally plug n play.

I just checked ebay.co.uk and the same unit is available at a rather more inflated price of £230 ..but tbh..still cheap for what you get.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Din-Androi ... SwxZxb-E4z

Im sure if you look around it will be available for less .... check the specs carefully..and look for the front panel design like that one.

It has an Android based satnav..upgradeable whenever via usb...radio..bluetooth for calls & music (it connects to any phone quickly & easily)... sd slot & 2 x usb inputs for any movies ..reverse cam input...video outputs for headrest monitors. It will play virtually any kind of video or music file you connect to it. It has steering wheel control lines should you need those ( i dont have..so..untested but it uses standard protocol so im sure will be fine).
The gui is beautiful..crisp and clear with a nice touchscreen to operate it all. The sound quality is pretty decent too...far better than the original Panasonic unit. Has a rotary vol control (always better than buttons!)
It has wifi too so you can if you wish connect to phone hotspot and install other stuff from Playstore. It has user-selectable startup screens so now gives me a cool Nissan logo at sw on. Dimensions are exactly double din...screwholes lined up perfectly..took an hour at most to install.

There are hundreds of these Chinese units all over ebay/Alibaba/ Aliexpress etc ..many are super cheap ... and look it.I stayed away from those and bought a kind of mid-price unit..and Im glad I did.
So far it has been faultless ... highly recommended

#6 ·
no it doesn't ... most of the Chinese things dont these days ...
I dont miss it tho .... seems to me solid state digital music has pretty much taken over in the automotive world .... just connect your phone or DAP over bluetooth..and away you go...hours and hours of good quality music and not a cd in sight. I certainly dont miss the stash of jewel cases rattling around in the glove box or centre console...lol
Some of those Chinese double din HU's are available with dvd players which will obviously also play audio cds ...just not so plentiful.

I still listen to radio quite a lot when driving .... actually ..I listen to radio..the missus does the bluetooth thing..

#8 ·
Hmm..Im not sure what you mean by that ..
I THINK the model you mention is a UK only thing ..so dunno what HU it has. ...so long as whatever you remove is double din ..it will be easy..
The HU model I removed from mine was a radio/6 disc cd changer ..and was exactly Double din size with a small single din cubby box below it..and a single din open front cubby above it...I'll see if I can find a pic.
It was pretty useless for me...dont use cd's anymore..at least not in a car. It had bluetooth..but only for calls..not for media!..lol

heck ..how do I change the order of pics in a post!?...I upload them chronologically.
but they always post in reverse..weird

Attachments

#9 ·
..this is the result ..perfect fit in the aperture of the trim..

actually ..I did read somewhere that if you have a higher spec T31, then you may need to get hold of the trim piece from a lower spec model ... its the lower spec model that has a double din trim piece..like mine. Not 100% sure on that story..read it on a forum I think..

Attachments

#11 ·
Looks good. I installed an almost identical unit in my T30, but then returned to get another. I found though it had a bit bigger screen, it had the same native resolution so end result was less clear back up camera image as an example. Also made it so that it was more affected by ambient light on sunny days. I also learned my wife still liked to have access to play her cds every now and then. Finally, I hated the blue lights on the buttons at night, which I found clashed badly with the regular dash lighting.
The new unit I got resolved those issues and despite having a smaller 6.1" screen, the resolution and brightness from it are a real upgrade.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078YR ... UTF8&psc=1

#14 ·
most of the Chinese double din units I see ..including mine, have pre-outs too ..plus sub. usually.
so..there will certainly be something out there that will be an easy fit ...
its the fascia & mount that may need some work in the higher spec models ... in order to fit a standard double din HU in the right place. As I said..I believe getting the fascia piece from a lower spec model like my pic ..is the way to go...

#16 ·
hmm...i really dont know about those pre-outs on the Bose installation ...but i would be surprised if they aren't just normal pre-outs. Wouldnt be too difficult to test them out...temporary hook up to a domestic amplifier outside the car and test them....
At least then you will know for sure ...

#17 ·
Bertoknee said:
...hours and hours of good quality music and not a cd in sight...
If it's MP3 I would not call it "good quality music" - IMHO it's only "good quality" if the file is in a truly lossless format and 16/44.1 or better (preferably 24/96).

Personally I can't listen to MP3 as it destroys the music.

#19 ·
Bertoknee said:
hmmm ....

that is obviously a subjective thing ..but since you started this.... I dont personally feel there is much need for anything over about 192kbps in an automotive environment... each to their own tho..
Have to agree . The average music listener will not pick up on subtle changes in quality as it's just a leisurely activity especially whilst driving however if you are a 'Morse' type character and immerses into the classical sounds then slight differences in quality may well be noticed.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Just back to the Sat Nav itself -----

I have the Premium Connect in my 2011 Tekna which has obviously 2010 maps. Recently I asked main dealers about latest maps and he went on about you can't get get update DVD anymore to which I replied yes you can!! He was unaware Nissan/HERE maps have just released a new 2019 4 disc set covering UK and Europe last quarter of 2016 so nearly 2017. Nope he said I was wrong and not available and any map updates would need to be through them plugged into computer and cost around £250. This annoyed me so I called the number on bottom of site and spoke directly to HERE in Netherlands. Immediately the dutch lady I spoke to asked for my REG and confirmed I have Premium Connect and told me how simple it is to do and yes these were end of 2016 map data which to be honest is pretty recent and includes speed cameras POI's etc. Cost £145 inc postage and VAT and take 2 days. She laughed when I told her what dealer said - she said sounds normal and they'll do exactly what she'd said and charge an extra £100 for doing it..............

My question is it worth the money as pretty recent maps only 2 years old. I used the system on London on Tuesday and found it really good with traffic updates etc and good re-routing. I normally use Waze or Sygic on my phone but sometimes these cut out and no good often where no signal (like Scottish Highlands).

#21 ·
I was looking at the HERE updates but just couldn't bring myself to buy 2 year old maps at £145. I called HERE Maps last year and spoke to them to ask if they were planning any further updates anytime soon but apparently not. I might call again and see if they have any plans for a 2019 edition with maybe 2018 map data?

Does anyone know if the headunit software updates make it a little more Android device compatible rather than the preference of Apple equipment??

#24 ·
scannyman said:
....Do the steering wheel controls all work properly ? ....

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
..have finally got around to fitting the audio controls to my steering wheel and can confirm that that all the controls work perfectly on the Android unit I fitted... just need to 'teach' it with the 'learning' screen ..takes about 30 secs ..easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.